DVDVR Message Board

The "I Can't Believe It's 2018 and I'm Starting Another TNA Thread" Thread

There's a ton of talent in Impact. I think the show is actually pretty good these days.

But I don't think there's any value in buying the company unless you have a way to monetize the tape library. Which, right now, pretty much only Vince does. Plus Anthem owns the Wrestling at the Chase stuff that seems like the exact kind of thing Triple H would love to get his hands on. 

AEW is probably much better off not making the outlay, not dealing with the tainted brand, etc etc. Right now they have a core that has been red hot for the last couple years, and it's not like there's no talent out there to fill cards. I mean, it would be nice if a few of the top names (*cough*BRO*cough*) were still out there, but they theoretically have the top guys in Cody and The Bucks (and maybe Kenny?) they'd need, and can just fill out the roster with guys who can go. And then if a Brian Cage or whoever comes free, try to get him before snyone else does. 

Anyway, I do not want Impact to go out of business because those are people's jobs, if nothing else. But it's just dying this slow, protracted death where they slink from doing over a million viewers on Spike 100,000 on the TV Guide Channel, and maybe a lot less than that on Kmart Destination America Pursuit and it's hard to see how Anthem is going to keep this wreck afloat another year. But, fuck, they've been "six months from death" for 16 years now, so what do I know?

• Like 1

Funny thing about that Impact selling thing is that, according to reddit, Dave claims that it happened few months ago and it was basically open secret. But few months ago Dave was pretending that AEW isn't a thing. And for this being an open secret it is weird how in few months this is first time someone says anything about it.

It is likely that what he wrote about happened, but at the same time I think we should be sceptical when Dave is talking about something that relates to The Elite or YBs.

8 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Coming out of tonight's Best Of episode, Impact's top 5 matches of 2018:

5. Tessa Blanchard vs. Taya Valkyrie (Bound for Glory)
4. Austin Aries vs. Fenix vs. Pentagon Jr. (Redemption)
3. LAX vs. OGz - 5150 Street Fight (Slammiversary)
2. Austin Aries vs. Johnny Impact (Bound for Glory)
1. Sami Callihan vs. Pentagon Jr. - Hair vs. Mask No DQ Match (Slammiversary)

I was glad to see Aries/Johnny included, as post-match aside, that really was a hell of a match. They went with all PPV matches but I would've included a couple of my favorites from TV, Taiji Ishimori vs. Dezmond Xavier from 1/18 was a real underrated gem and the oVe v. Fenix/Pentagon/Swann match from 7/12 would be near the top of my list. But it really was just an all-time great year for Impact overall so I hope 2019 delivers similarly.

I had every intention of fast forwarding through both best of episodes.  But I didn't see any of the PPV matches so I watched more than I initially thought.  Wrestling-wise Impact had a pretty good year.  But it also sucks seeing this and knowing in a couple weeks I may or may not have a way to watch the show.  if it was Impact from a couple years ago I'd say kill it off but with the past couple years I still feel it's worth saving.  The talent's there, the matches are there and the stories make sense.  But much like WCW's final days I fear it's too little too late.  I hope to be proven wrong though as I greatly enjoy the shows.

• Like 1

So from Callis’ recent comments we’re gonna get the millionth reiteration of the Attitude era aren’t we? His and Petey’s comments about not having to worry about what they say and going “more hardcore” makes me think there’s going to be a lot of Scarlett isn’t there?

6 hours ago, caley said:

So from Callis’ recent comments we’re gonna get the millionth reiteration of the Attitude era aren’t we? His and Petey’s comments about not having to worry about what they say and going “more hardcore” makes me think there’s going to be a lot of Scarlett isn’t there?

We're finally going to get Don Callis going all in on the Messiah character WWE pitched for him. Don Callis travelling around the south with a few disciples, say Matt Sydal and Ethan Page, spreading his word, gaining easily swayed converts. Repackage Scarlett as the succubus also gaining new recruits. Since we're coming up on the 20th anniversary of the higher power, Callis is going to be the man wielding the power behind Impact Wrestling. This would make for some entertaining tv, albeit entertaining tv not many people will see. 

• Like 2

DJZ’s contract runs out at midnight and he stated that he is excited about being a FA for the first time in forever.

Seems like he isn’t totally ruling out still working with Impact

• RIPPA unpinned and locked this topic