DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

On 10/7/2018 at 3:00 PM, Player One said:

Man. the Gamecube is really underrated for platformers.  I know a lot of people don't love the Sonic 3D games, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. & Super Mario Sunshine, but I really enjoy all of those games - especially Mario Sunshine and Donkey Kong.  Jungle Beat probably is a top 10 platformer for me because of the bongo controller.  So wacky.  So much fun.

Jeremy Parrish was absolutely damned right when he ranked Donkey Kong Jungle Beat the second-best DK game ever

It almost makes up for him claiming that the decent-but-not-spectacular NSMBU is the best Mario platformer ever instead of the, true, objective, scientifically-proven, real winner, which of course is Super Mario Bros. 3 (Odyssey and 64 are also acceptable answers because science is a tricky bitch). 

So I got home and immediately fired up Medieval Madness in Pinball FX. The Zen physics mode definitely makes a few of the shots easier to make than in classic.  It was cool to go in and just utterly own Survival Challenge, getting the max 15 stars and lasting seven rounds past that before my ball got caught in the jet bumpers and wasn't able to get it back down for more lucrative things in time.

Man, that has to be my favorite pinball game of all time.  I love everything about it.  Even when I went to the Pinball Hall of Fame in Vegas where you get to play all this hard to find stuff, I'd keep going back to Medieval Madness.  I'd be like HOLY SHIT WWF ROYAL RUMBLE and play one game and go back, then explore a bit  and go back, etc.  I really can't recommend that place enough if you're in the Vegas area.  Lots of cool museums and shit around there too (like the mob museum and the atomic testing museum).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Jeremy Parrish was absolutely damned right when he ranked Donkey Kong Jungle Beat the second-best DK game ever

Not as damned right as picking the Gameboy DK as the top. Catch me in the right mood and I'll argue it's better than Gen 1 Pokemon, Tetris, and Link's Awakening.

• Like 1

How did I not realize that the NES got decent versions of the original Mario Bros. coin-op, the Donkey Kong coin-ops, Elevator Action, etc?  I was going to buy a working SNES eventually for the Zelda games and Super Mario Bros., but now I really want one.  Guess I'm going to the retro games store tomorrow on my lunch hour.

And I really, completely forgot that Donkey Kong 3 was a thing.  I love the DK and DK Jr. coin-ops, but I haven't thought of DK3 in about 25 years.  Yeah, in 2018, the idea that the they decided to make the next DK game a shooter (of sorts) instead of a platformer looks really weird.

3 hours ago, Player One said:

How did I not realize that the NES got decent versions of the original Mario Bros. coin-op, the Donkey Kong coin-ops, Elevator Action, etc?  I was going to buy a working SNES eventually for the Zelda games and Super Mario Bros., but now I really want one.  Guess I'm going to the retro games store tomorrow on my lunch hour.

And I really, completely forgot that Donkey Kong 3 was a thing.  I love the DK and DK Jr. coin-ops, but I haven't thought of DK3 in about 25 years.  Yeah, in 2018, the idea that the they decided to make the next DK game a shooter (of sorts) instead of a platformer looks really weird.

DK3 is a very underrated game. I have this little Famiclone with the early black box games, Arkanoid and Contra, along with stuff like Galaxian and Galaga. 

I paid like three bucks for it and its great.

10 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

So I got home and immediately fired up Medieval Madness in Pinball FX. The Zen physics mode definitely makes a few of the shots easier to make than in classic.  It was cool to go in and just utterly own Survival Challenge, getting the max 15 stars and lasting seven rounds past that before my ball got caught in the jet bumpers and wasn't able to get it back down for more lucrative things in time.

I'll be buying this. I just need to decide if I want the PS4 version, the PC version, or both. All my previous tables are on the PS4 but lately I've only been gaming on PC. Decisions, decisions, decisions. 

I've got about 2 weeks left on my Xbox Game Pass cheap 2 month subscription, so I went searching around for games to try out.  Downloaded Rocket League, Forza 4 and on a whim Disneyland Adventures and you know what ... I've played like 10 hours of Disney Adventures in the last couple days and none of the other. 

Honestly, collecting hugs, autographs and pictures from Disney characters is about the most enjoyable OCD video game collecting experience I've had in a long time.  The detail that they've gone to to recreate Disneyland is pretty damn impressive as well.

• Like 1

Speaking of Rocket league, anyone who owns it, even if you've not played in months or years, play it this weekend. It's the historic, first time ever, Double XP weekend. And since the progression update last month, and the Rocket Pass* launch a week later, levelling up (and getting custom car bling) is much easier than it used to be.

* Don't worry, there's a free version.

I really want to know why no modern pinball game offers a view option akin to what Rare did in its NES conversions of Pin*Bot and High Speed.  In those games, about 80 percent of the screen would scroll vertically to keep the ball as centered as possible, but the flippers were always at the bottom.  I loved that gimmick, it made it easy to tell when I needed to get ready to flip while still making it easy to tell where the ball is and the effect of your shots.  That seems like such a no-brainer for Zen and Farsight, and yet neither has ever given us a table view I'm truly happy with.

Pay for a glorfied ROMhack/Game Genie code already entered thus taking all challenge away.  Yup, its Nintendo.

If they wanted to put out a "souped" up version, they could've just went and released the BS Zelda removing the need to have it hooked to a Satelliview (or modding the shit out of SNES9X)

HOKUTO UPDATE:

I have been driving around in Bat's buggy listening to Magical Sound Shower from Out Run. Wondering how far in you get before meeting the arcade owner and getting the ability to unlock classic games; I used to enjoy Kenseiden (what the SMS HnK game was sold as here) and am looking forward to killing Shin again.

21 hours ago, D.Z said:

The new Nes Loz  "game" is actually a save state saved.  Surprised they didn't release Speed Mario Bros or Super Luigi Bros or the altered Nes more accurate Donkey Kong instead.

I 100% do not have the time, but it'd be interesting to catalog what the poor bastard required to put this together did to get there.  Obviously they picked up every item you can possibly get from the Overworld before doing Dungeon 1 (heart containers, White Sword and everything you can buy from Overworld stores), but what else did they do?  Did they get all those rupees by using up all the free-money caves, or grind every one? Have they opened all the cheaper hidden stores up? Eliminated all the Door Repair sites?

HOKUTO UPDATE: Thru ch7. My determination to stream 100 percent of my playtime on this game even if nobody watches has not subsided. I realize this is dumb, but I'm baffled by the decision to treat the Colosseum the same way the Yakuza series does.  These are deathmatches, not regular bouts. If I murder 317 mohawks and then get beat, I should "die" and then be ejected back into the world as though i'd never gone in, no health loss and no rewards at all.  Don't let me leave with 1HP, give me a pat on the back and award bonuses based on the rounds I DID win.

Considering it's all items and enough hearts to get the white sword, whoever made the state had to go through some overworld locations and pretty much had to run through the dungeons up to the bosses.  so yeah, some poor bastard had to grind all that shit out.

The hearts for the white sword isn't that bad and is probably the easiest part of that. I haven't run the game in a few years but I ran through it a few years annually and remember the strat being make an early dash for the raft > use raft to get hearts around the map > grab white sword > actually start the game from there. I can't remember where the rupee caves are now but a few of those can get you armor really early too.

Other SP games planned.

DR.Mario (SP)
Metroid (SP)
Super Mario Bros. (SP)
Super Mario Bros. 3 (SP)
Double Dragon (SP)
Gradius (SP)

Not sure if they're all going to be save states. Nintendo tends to avoid rom hacking loz (aside from grammar fixes) but not several others.