DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

10 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

If you're an MMO fan, Final Fantasy XIV.  Star Trek Online and DC Universe Online are F2P as well.

I'd also grab WWE 2K19 when it goes cheap.

DCUO is so frustrating. "Let's make Infamous but an MMO" is pretty great, and I could dick around in Metro or Gotham or Central doing traversal challenges and 10-min quests all day. But any time you have to team it SUCKS partly because of bad design and partly because of toxic player base. I check in once a year or so and mostly just miss the RP guild I was in the first year on PC.

Can anyone yay or nay the most recent Battletech? It's on sale and I have almost, but not quite, enough Humble Store credit to buy it

I don't know how you all like Assassin's Creed Odyssey but I absolutely love it to pieces.  It finally came in the mail after getting for $30 last Friday and man was it a great couple hours.  There might be a bit of bias in my love for it considering I'm Greek but so far it's hitting all the right notes for me.  If the game holds up like it is now I'd be half tempted to send Ubisoft a bottle of Ouzo or something.  On top of that my dad is not a fan of video games but after telling him that you can go to Chios (the island he's from) it immediately piqued his interest.  Can't wait to show this to him once I get there.

• Like 1

I loved watching it on streams. I haven't paid much attention to Assassin's Creed in years but it feels like a game where there's always one more thing to do that you don't have to wait around for. I also thought the legendary minotaur boss was one of the best boss fights I saw in a game all year.

Kassandra is bae.

• Like 1

I just realized I'd bought a couple of different 2K bundles from Humble and therefore have an extra copy of Spec Ops: The Line for PC.  If anyone wants it, send me a PM and I'll send the code along.  I clicked the "Reveal your key" button so there's the tiny non-zero chance it won't work, but...probably should.

Tried playing a bit of Heavy Rain earlier. That was no fun at all.

Oh yeah, PS4 games. Fire Pro Wrestling World, that's a good game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neil Koch said:

Got my Arcade 1up 12 in 1 set up.

IMG_20181202_063635_zpsjrnhy6dr.jpg

IMG_20181202_120010_116_zpsdn3leet0.jpg

Makes me wish I had a den just to own one of those for the shear novelty of it.

Did anybody else download Bulletstorm from PSN+ this month? If so does it get any better? It seemed okay at first, but it’s already starting to lose steam for me after about 30 minutes. 

i have owned my Nintendo Switch just under one month. In anticipation of Smash Bros Ultimate, which comes out this Friday, i've been trying to finish up a couple games that i bought off the bat. 

5909500cv11d.jpg
Last night i completed Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle. it's a fun RTS game featuring the Mario characters. this isn't my usual type of game, but i ended up really liking it. i finished at 97% in about 25 hours (if the Switch stats can be trusted). Great work differentiating the characters. The overworld, if you can call it that, was pretty straightforward and fun, but there were some puzzles mixed in if you want to collect all the stuff. the battles themselves took some thought and had some frustrating times, but not in a bad way. I'd recommend this if you want something different.
I picked up the Donkey Kong DLC as well, but haven't started this one yet. 

Image result for bomberman switch
This morning i knocked out Super Bomberman R, and this is exactly what you expect out of a Bomberman game. Took roughly 4 hours, but i was doing it world-by-world so i thought it was fun. The storyline and cutscenes are fun and very cartoony and Japanese. The challenges are very easy and don't take much thought at all. The boss fights have horrendous hit detection. More than once i was questioning if my strategy was working, as there were no audio or visual clues that let me know i was on the right path. The final boss was easy but i was not a fan of the battle itself. Glad i got this game cheap, but also glad i got it overall.

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Did anybody else download Bulletstorm from PSN+ this month? If so does it get any better? It seemed okay at first, but it’s already starting to lose steam for me after about 30 minutes. 

I haven't played the PS4 version (downloaded it though, and played the PS3 version), but if you're only 30m in you haven't even got the Leash laser whip, have you?  That makes the game WAY more interesting and IIRC (it's been 8 years) comes about 60-90 minutes in.  After you unlock it, a large part of the game will be using it to do crazy tricks with enemies and environmental objects, setting up the biggest dumbest kills possible.

15 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I haven't played the PS4 version (downloaded it though, and played the PS3 version), but if you're only 30m in you haven't even got the Leash laser whip, have you?  That makes the game WAY more interesting and IIRC (it's been 8 years) comes about 60-90 minutes in.  After you unlock it, a large part of the game will be using it to do crazy tricks with enemies and environmental objects, setting up the biggest dumbest kills possible.

Laser leash comes in pretty quick actually. It does give the game some oomf, but I’m disappointed in some of the encounters. Some areas just don’t have enough tricks, or none at all. So I end up just leash into kick into shooting, or leash into kick over the ledge.

I’m going to comeback and give it a chance. Steve Blum saying ridiculous one liners is interesting enough at least. I’m going to have to leave it to my in between sessions of The Surge, though. That game has gotten me back into the Souls-like genre again. Might jump back into Nioh because of this.

CRUSADER OF CENTY [3]
So I saw this in some article that was like "Sega Zelda-likes you haven't played!" that I think might have been on HG101? Regardless, it was the one game on that list I hadn't heard of. I know why. It's, like, fine? But the idea that someone would be screaming about this as like a fantastic Zelda-like is a little confusing. I'll probably keep playing it.

HYPER LIGHT DRIFTER ON SWITCH [4]
would it be unfair to call this my game of the year because fuckin hell I still love this damn game

ICONOCLASTS [3]
I bought this a week before I learned it was going to be free on PS4 next month. That's the only thing that keeps it from a 4. It is a very good metroid from the creators of Noitu Love, so it basically looks and plays like a sketch of "Video Games Of The Future" circa 1991. This is not a bad thing. It's very fun, it's got a really interesting world that is maybe at points a little too anime for my taste, and the action feels great. I'll finish it. I wish I had waited literally a week to start it.

So I got stuck, and frustrated in a spot in The Surge, so I went back into Bulletstorm. Yeah, it does get better as soon as the giant wheel level starts. When that ends the enemies, and situations get more frantic which leads to more fun kills. It isn’t the Max Payne ballet of bullets, but it scratches the itch that single player games don’t scratch as much anymore.

14 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

How're the controls?  People saying they're mushy was enough to make me hesitate.

I haven't had any problems.  I think a lot of people are being overly critical of these.  They're not perfect, but for the price, I think they're a great deal.

I Platinum'ed 2 games yesterday: Tom Clancy's The Division and The World of Nubla. The Division is actually a lot of fun and I enjoyed it. It's like a better, more polished Destiny. Post game content isn't a whole lot to do (Dark Zone and running around getting collectibles) but I liked doing the collectibles/side missions/encounters/safe houses before doing more of the story. I had help online so I got some Tier 5 High End gear that turned it into easy mode.

The World of Nubla is free for PS+ subscribers in Spain. I signed up for a 2 day trial and quickly Platinum'ed it. I think it's available in the US as well. It's one of those easy trophy hunter games.

5 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

I was thinking of getting God of War when it goes on sale, but I never played any of the previous 3.

Do I need to?

You don't have to, as a matter of fact, it is the start of a whole new pantheon of gods.  The first trilogy is the Greek pantheon and this one starts with the Norse gods.  There are some callbacks to the original trilogy, but it isn't an integral part of the story that it would actually affect your enjoyment to the new game.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

You don't have to, as a matter of fact, it is the start of a whole new pantheon of gods.  The first trilogy is the Greek pantheon and this one starts with the Norse gods.  There are some callbacks to the original trilogy, but it isn't an integral part of the story that it would actually affect your enjoyment to the new game.  

Thanks, yeah I knew they were set in different mythologies I just wasn’t sure if there were any allusions or callbacks to the earlier games or if they were worth going out of my way to play 

34 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

Thanks, yeah I knew they were set in different mythologies I just wasn’t sure if there were any allusions or callbacks to the earlier games or if they were worth going out of my way to play 

I enjoyed all of them at the time, but I'm unsure how well they'd hold up now.  The game was state of the art at the time, but I could see them feeling clunky and unresponsive based on how much the technology has improved since they first came out.  Storywise, you could probably watch a YouTube recap and not miss much.  Those games were much more about brutal action than deep storytelling.

10 hours ago, Death From Above said:

https://kotaku.com/bethesda-support-leaks-fallout-76-customer-names-addre-1830892930

Listen I'm not saying something is awry at Bethesda but the amount of fucking up they've managed to do in short order in so many different departments is... pretty bizarre at best.

Honestly all of this happening at once makes it hard not to believe there isn't some kind of sabotage going on. Any one or two things makes sense, this much is just ridiculous.