DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

I'm not familar with the Xbox cheats if they're specific to the disc or needing to swap or anything, but straight code, there's no reason they wouldn't work as they're not patched or anything.

Finished Spider-Man. One trophy short of the platinum. Not even going to bother, as I’d need to bang my head against the least fun part of the game for me (the Taskmaster challenges) to get the tokens needed to unlock the final 2-3 suits. 

Hell of a game. My biggest complaint is likely 

Spoiler

just how often, especially near the endgame, that you’re playing as someone other than Pete. In some stealth sequences that don’t match the quality of the rest of the game to boot.

That’s a relatively minor complaint, though, as the rest of the game had me hooked. The combat is an absolute blast and the swinging feels amazing, no pun intended. 

I got Monster Hunter World cheaply. Best thing about it is the cutscene that plays when the chef cats are making you a dish. It's got the grind-collect-craft sort of design that I crave, but the combat is pretty damned bad. Where RDR2 feels stiff and slow, MHW feels loose and without substance. I think I like the idea of this game quite a bit, though, so I'll stick with it for now.

Jurassic World Evolution scratches that sim management itch for me. I need to get deeper into mission mode, but it's great. It just has so many technical issues on my crappy computer, even at the lowest levels.

3 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I got Monster Hunter World cheaply. Best thing about it is the cutscene that plays when the chef cats are making you a dish. It's got the grind-collect-craft sort of design that I crave, but the combat is pretty damned bad. Where RDR2 feels stiff and slow, MHW feels loose and without substance. I think I like the idea of this game quite a bit, though, so I'll stick with it for now.

just curious, what weapon are you using

8 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

just curious, what weapon are you using

I started with the glaive, then switched to a Bowcaster? Whichever one is the gun that sacrifices power for firing rate. 

The bow/gun is probably worse-feeling than the bladed weapon. There's no heft or weight to how it feels when you fire it even though it's a big-ass gun. 

I might try the sledgehammer next. 

43 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I started with the glaive, then switched to a Bowcaster? Whichever one is the gun that sacrifices power for firing rate. 

The bow/gun is probably worse-feeling than the bladed weapon. There's no heft or weight to how it feels when you fire it even though it's a big-ass gun. 

I might try the sledgehammer next. 

lol surprise, you started with like The 2nd Most Complicated Weapon. If you're going for just raw thudding damage, the Hammer is like upper end of damage dealing but there's a pretty deep learning curve because the swings are so slow. You gotta learn your spots and the monster's moves to be really great with the hammer. If you want something big and bladed you might want to consider the Great Sword or Switch Axe (do not mistake with the Charge Blade, the #1 Most Complicated Weapon). Long Sword is also popular and good if you're way into Zatoichi movies.

I personally use the least popular weapon in the game- the Hunting Horn- but I think it's a blast to use. Basically your swings play notes on a four note staff, and combinations of notes can become songs, and when you play those songs you get like buffs and resistances and stuff.

The "Chill" modes in Tetris Effect are the most relaxing, restoring thing I've seen in games in maybe the entire 37 years I've been playing them. You pick a skin/song and just fucking go. You have a goal, but if you top out your score zeroes but your lines and speed don't, and you keep going. Your goal is still high score, which means you have an incentive not to fuck up your playfield, but if you do it's okay. You just keep going and focus on keeping going.  It's lovely.

It was funny watching that Tetris video I posted the other day that old school and new school players have different strategies for playing. I still use the old school method of playing for 4-line clears whereas newer players apparently just clear lines as soon as the6 can. 

Soo... this year, I've been spending a lot of my late evenings (I only sleep four or so hours a night) researching games to come up with a pretty complete want-list.  That led me to http://www.hardcoregaming101.net, which has thousands of write-ups for games, with an emphasis on imports and just plain weird and obscure games.

Holy Sh**!  This site is going to cost me so much money.  I have an affinity for collecting obscure games and imports, so I already own a lot of odd games (the Parodius series, Cho Aniki, LSD: Dream Emulator, Mr. Mosquito, Umihara Kawase, Chulip, etc., etc., etc.) and I thought that I had dived through the catalogs of various systems pretty thoroughly.  And then I found HCG 101 and started reading write-ups of Gamera 2000, psychedlic beat-em-up Pu-Li-Ru-La,  weird mom-defuses-booby-trapped-bombs game Suzuki Bakuhatsu, Slap Happy Rhythm Busters.

A lot - and i mean, a lot - of the writeups are for obscure games that have very little info out there on the web).

Highly recommended if you're looking for info on obscure games or imports

9 hours ago, Player One said:

Soo... this year, I've been spending a lot of my late evenings (I only sleep four or so hours a night) researching games to come up with a pretty complete want-list.  That led me to http://www.hardcoregaming101.net, which has thousands of write-ups for games, with an emphasis on imports and just plain weird and obscure games.

I recommend their podcast, which is a list show ("It's better than Blazing Lasers, but is it better than UN Squadron?") filled with utter madness.  They actually found a game worse than NES X-Men! I don't know how, but they did!

So, after playing nothing but the DS and 3DS for a decade I made the plunge into the Playstation World with the PS4 Spiderman deal this weekend. I've basically only been a Nintendo dude my entire life so I have no clue where to even start. I bought God of War and am playing Spiderman currently. 

What's the Mount Rushmore? 

since everyone else is going to yell all the big budget stuff here's an indie foursome you should look into. Some of these also came out on PS3, but it sounds like you missed them there so it's worth seeing them regardless.

Journey- Immense, meditative and touching.

Spelunky- The kind of game you could play for a thousand hours and still see new situations in, and the father of the new wave of run-based games.

Rocket League- The best sports game of the last decade.

Hyper Light Drifter- Moody synthy Action Zelda (and probably my favorite game of the generation, check out its completely amazing trailer here)

EDIT: Y'ALL BETTER SAY BLOODBORNE ON EVERY ONE OF THOSE LISTS BTW

I don't know if there's a Mt. Rushmore for sure, but some stuff to whet your whistle.

If you like open world, Horizon: Zero Dawn is pretty good, even if it does get a little repetitive.  The Tomb Raider games are neat, at this point, the Entire Main Line Resident Evil series except for 3 is on PS4 now, as are the Batman Arkham Trilogy.  If you liked the Spelunker Games, then Spelunker World is a good one.  Not as rogue-like as Spelunky, but both are good.  I'd also recomment Rogue Legacy, the Stealth Inc series, Sonic Mania, Rainbow Moon.  I'm also waiting on sales to pick up Timespinner and Tetris Effect, and probably Mega Man 11.

• Like 1

The Last Of Us if you want serious, and the Uncharted quadrilogy if you want whimsical. Or both, but they're pretty similar (same developer, same engine). Maybe Life is Strange as well. GTA5 is essential but you'd also need a time machine, for when online was safe for new players.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hagan said:

So, after playing nothing but the DS and 3DS for a decade I made the plunge into the Playstation World with the PS4 Spiderman deal this weekend. I've basically only been a Nintendo dude my entire life so I have no clue where to even start. I bought God of War and am playing Spiderman currently. 

So I'm going to limit t his to the Playstation Hits sub-line, because older AAA games at $20 are a wonderful thing.  My top four would be:

Ratchet and Clank--made by a lot of the same people as Spidey, it's a great platform jump-and-shoot with fun characters and some great weapons and setpieces.  They took the original PS2 game, made it feel more like the later games in the series with things like evolving weapons and sidequests, and tied it into the (lame) movie.  You know a game's pretty when the cutscenes lifted from a theatrical film are a graphical downgrade, and it's just fun

Yakuza 0--River City Ransom for the 21st century, and a really enjoyable mobster soap opera.  You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll smash dudes' heads in car doors. (I also learned traditional Japanese gambling games, but that's optional) Yakuza: Kiwami is also great, and currently free if you have a Playstation Plus subscription, but I didn't want my list to be entirely remakes.

Doom--it's everything I loved about FPS in the 90s that's missing from Call of Battlefield.  It's fast and crazy, the levels are complicated and mazelike, and the scientists acknowledge that demonic invasions are a totally expected byproduct of using portals to Hell as a source of cheap thermal energy.

Injustice: Gods Among Us--of the 3 fighters on the Hits list, I picked this one because it doesn't have an additional outlay of cash for characters, missions, etc (though MKX's XL Pack, with all post-launch content, frequently goes on sale for $5 so that's a reasonable pick if you prefer.  The Hits version of Street Fighter 5 is a trap.)  The fighting system works really well, the story is an entertaining mess and it's got excellent single-player options.  

Since Lamp mentioned Bloodborne, my take is that it's an excellent game that I am just not wired to enjoy.  I love the designs and the world, I love that it exists but I just can't do Souls games without getting incredibly angry at myself, so I don't play them anymore.

HOKUTO UPDATE!

I finished story mode tonight.  70 hrs 35 min, making it by far the shortest Yakuza game I've played.  The game has some significant problems--the ending isn't that satisfying, the semi-random nature of getting certain leveling Orbs makes upgrading Kenshiro really frustrating, having the buggy taken off the table for significant portions of the game where you're still getting treasure map drops, that FUCKING Rei fight, which probably accounted for 3/4 of my total deaths--but it was a cool merger of two franchises I am already enamored with and I'm really glad I got it.  I wish they hadn't streamblocked the entire final chapter, I was on track to make it the first thing I ever streamed start to finish.

Gonna try to finish 0 before Smash Ultimate hits, then take a break from Yakuza for a bit before starting Kiwami 2.

So Slay the Spire has added a new fourth, final bonus act including a last last boss. I have only beaten it with the Silent so far. I don't want to post spoilers but I will say I just came up literally 1 HP short of victory with the Ironclad and I haven't felt that kind of "fuck my life" reaction in a video game in a very long time. I'm still learning. The game still has the capacity to bring both real joy and pain. This is definitely the best gaming money I've spent on Steam this year.

I am up to 320 hours. I bought the game like 280 days ago.

• Haha 1

On 11/27/2018 at 10:07 AM, Hagan said:

The Last of Us

Uncharted (all four of them)

Assassin's Creed Black Flag (at least)

Resogun