DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

23 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

I'll miss Booker on commentary but take solace in the fact that he'll be returning to the pre-show panels to tell superstars how jacked they're looking. 

There's a wrestling thread on another msg board I go to and we like to make up what's actually the real life hierarchy of WWE titles/awards. The last time we did it, having Booker T say, "you're looking real jacked tonight!" was behind 1. Being John Cena 2. Being a McMahon/Triple H 3. Being Brock Lesnar 4. Being The Undertaker 5. Being Roman Reigns 6. WWE Universal Title. It was above the WWE Title because that was held by Jinder at the time.

18 minutes ago, We Are The Robots said:

Rather than NJPW moving to a larger arena, why not just do what concert promoters do and add a second date the next night?

Kind of like what NJPW did in Sapporo this past weekend. That makes alot of sense. 

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

Here's a question since we're now heading towards Roman vs Brock - Has WWE successfully rehabbed Roman's persona? I was talking to a friend about Brock and Roman earlier and I weirdly found myself not being anti-Roman anymore. I'm at the point where I don't really care and given what we saw with Jinder as champ, there are far worse options than Roman to be the top guy. I still think Roman looks like a doofus, I still like Braun more than Roman, I still think Roman should drop the title to Braun this year, but I wouldn't be disappointed or put off by Roman beating Brock. A year ago I would have said "fuck Roman" and blah blah blah, but now...eh...he's not so bad.

1. Denial

2. Anger

3. Bargaining

4. Depression

5. Acceptance

Congrats, you made it. Although maybe #6 should be "apathy". It is what it is.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

Here's a question since we're now heading towards Roman vs Brock - Has WWE successfully rehabbed Roman's persona? I was talking to a friend about Brock and Roman earlier and I weirdly found myself not being anti-Roman anymore. I'm at the point where I don't really care and given what we saw with Jinder as champ, there are far worse options than Roman to be the top guy. I still think Roman looks like a doofus, I still like Braun more than Roman, I still think Roman should drop the title to Braun this year, but I wouldn't be disappointed or put off by Roman beating Brock. A year ago I would have said "fuck Roman" and blah blah blah, but now...eh...he's not so bad.

I still don't think Roman works as the TOP GUY but I think WWE is in a place now where he might not have to be a dude who carries the load as much as previous top guys did.  They can put guys like AJ Styles or Braun or Lesnar out there in main events and it works.  Plus,  I was going to mention this in the Rumble thread but I think we're at a point now where the women are capable of sharing the heavy lifting on these shows.  They are getting very close to having an outstanding roster of women.  Once this next generation of Shayna,  Ember Moon and Kaire Sane get called up all bets are off. And Ronda signing full time adds a ton of star power to the division.  

I'm fine with Roman-Brock this year partly cause I just want anyone to take the belt off of Brock. Truthfully I'd like to see Roman squash Brock Goldberg style, I've been over Brock's shtick for a long time and just want him to go away. At least Roman's matches are almost always fun to watch, the guy is good in the ring I just never want to see him in a promo or backstage segment where he has to "act".

Can't believe so many people are onboard with Braun and Miz at WM.

He is one of the few people with an 'IT' factor I've seen come along in a long long time, and with his aura I think giving him a 'lesser' belt just doesn't make sense. Much like Taker I don't think he needs to actively hold a championship to be legitimised and I can't exactly picture 1991 Undertaker going for a midcard belt on his way up the ranks

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

There is no reason a well built Ronda vs Charlotte, Sasha or Asuka match couldn't potentially headline WrestleMania 35.

I don't think it will, but it could.

At the very least, I think we're likely going to see Rousey vs someone (Asuka?) as the main event of Summerslam this year.  

Soooo need you guys’ help on what wrestling should I seek out from WWE/NJPW after last weekend? I’ve seen the mens rumble so I guess that leaves Tana V Suzuki, White V Omega, All of Takeover, the Bucks tag match was good apparently? 

WWE HIRES JEREMY BORASH
By Mike Johnson on 2018-01-30 09:17:00
Longtime Impact Wrestling personality Jeremy Borash has been hired by World Wrestling Entertainment, PWInsider.com has confirmed.  Several Impact sources confirmed this morning that Borash has given them notice that he was leaving. 

Borash was backstage at the WWE events over the last several days in Philadelphia, but initially was telling those who asked that he was just visiting friends.  However, the word backstage at Raw last night was that Borash has been hired by WWE. 

Borash was doing commentary voiceovers for upcoming episodes of Impact Wrestling this past Thursday and was at Friday night's House of Hardcore event in Philly filming material for Impact as well, which appear to have been his final duties for the company.

It’s not an understatement that Borash was in many ways the heart and soul of Impact Wrestling behind the scenes.  His exit is probably one of the most shocking in Impact history.  The departure is as major as Gene Okerlund jumping from Verne Gagne’s American Wrestling Association to the WWF in the 1980s in terms of perception, only it’s a far worse loss for Impact.

Borash has been one of the longest tenured Impact employees, dating back to the company's formation in 2002.  He held many different hats there, most notably ring announcing, commentating and doing backstage interviews at different points in front of the camera.   In recent months, he had been the lead announcer, which means WWE just signed Impact’s lead announcer right after Impact has tons of episodes with his work in the can that will air for the next several months.

Behind the scenes, Borash was really the company MVP as he could be counted on to handle everything asked of him.  He worked on the creative side and was a tireless producer and content creator forthe company, most famously editing and putting together the Hardy "Broken Universe" material and Impact's British Bootcamp reality series.    He would run production and execution of live events.  He spearheaded the company’s dive into social media and was a massive cheerleader for all things Impact Wrestling. 

Borash was the glue that at times, helped to hold Impact together behind the scenes.  He was the constant that could always be counted on by those running the company, especially in the Dixie Carter era.  Without Borash, that company will never be the same.  It cannot be overstated: this is a massive loss.

Prior to Impact Wrestling, Borash worked for WCW as a ring announcer and one of the hosts of the WCW Live internet program, coming into pro wrestling following a career in the radio industry.  Outside of Impact, Borash promoted the 2005 Hardcore Homecoming ECW nostalgia events, the first of which still holds the record for the highest pro wrestling gate in the history of the 2300 Arena.  He also produced the well-received Forever Hardcore documentary on the ECW era.

In recent years, Borash has also worked with television personality Chef Robert Irvine’s production company, working on Irvine’s television productions and emceeing his live events.  Borash has also worked regularly as the emcee for WWE Hall of Famer Jim Ross’ events.