DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It's dicey running an open air stadium in NY in early April.

It would be stupid to run an open air stadium in Chicago in early April

I think every year for the last few it's hit the 70s and 80s in April so you could get that or you could get a high in the 50s with a low in the 30s. What were the temps the last time WM was at Metlife? I'm not sure if you went, but I think Dolfan and Brian both went.

25 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It's dicey running an open air stadium in NY in early April.

It would be stupid to run an open air stadium in Chicago in early April

Having gone to White Sox games in April for a few years in a row before getting sick at the last one and realizing how dumb of an idea it was, you're very much right about Chicago.

25 minutes ago, StarChief EagleDemon said:

Having gone to White Sox games in April for a few years in a row before getting sick at the last one and realizing how dumb of an idea it was, you're very much right about Chicago.

It's because they were White Sox games :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I assume Takeover would probably be at the Prudential Center in Newark. I would go for Takeover, but skip WM. Huge arena shows just aren't my thing, and even a building the size of the Prudential Center is too big for my liking. I'm partial to shows and concerts in smaller venues. 

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I think every year for the last few it's hit the 70s and 80s in April so you could get that or you could get a high in the 50s with a low in the 30s. What were the temps the last time WM was at Metlife? I'm not sure if you went, but I think Dolfan and Brian both went.

It was fucking COLD in the cheap seats once the sun went down.  They built the special heater ring for the Jersey Mania, but once you got out of that lower bowl, the building got colder.

• Like 1

I would absolutely love it if NXT did a non-traditional location in NYC for Mania weekend and ran Webster Hall. Or even better, run a show on The Great Lawn in Central Park. (This will *never* happen, but fuck it, I can dream.)

But it's probably going to be Prudential Center because I'm sure at this point, the Takeovers basically cover the cost of the Performance Center. 

6 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

It was fucking COLD in the cheap seats once the sun went down.  They built the special heater ring for the Jersey Mania, but once you got out of that lower bowl, the building got colder.

Amen. I was right above the ramp and the most over thing in my section all night were the fireballs in Taker's intro.

Then after the show when we got back down to ground level, we were stunned how it wasn't actually all that cold.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
2 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

No, it's recognized that Backlund and Pedro were tag team champions, just that Backlund had to give up one of them - you couldn't hold two titles at once back then.  Obviously, Backlund wasn't giving up the World title.

That always bothered me from a kayfabe standpoint. If it was obvious that the title is just going to be vacated if one team wins, then why is it a title match? Especially since the Samoans won the belts back in a "tournament" (which doesn't appear to actually exist aside from the final) after Backlund and Morales had to vacate the title, so there isn't really much of a reason why they did the switch unless it was just to solidify that you can't hold two titles.