DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2018 UPCOMING MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

10 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

INSTANT FAMILY

Starring Mark Wahlberg and Rose Byrne

Yes! I'm looking forward to this. This is the first movie Tom Segura is in and he's been talking it up for awhile on their Your Mom's House podcast. I hope it's good.

• Like 1

Roland Emmerich's movie Midway (a WWII action movie... duh) will come out on Nov 8, 2019

Based on the true story of the Battle of Midway, a turning point in the Pacific theater of World War II, the film chronicles the heroic and harrowing exploits of the soldiers and aviators who achieved the unbelievable to turn the tide of the war.

The cast of Midway includes Patrick Wilson (The Conjuring) as Admiral Edwin Layton, Luke Evans (The Alienist, Beauty and the Beast) as Commander Wade McClusky, Woody Harrelson (Solo: A Star Wars Story) as Admiral Chester Nimitz, and Mandy Moore (This Is Us), and co-stars Aaron Eckhart (The Dark Knight), Nick Jonas (Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle), Dennis Quaid (Emmerich’s The Day After Tomorrow), Keean Johnson (Alita: Battle Angel) and Tadanobu Asano (Thor, 47 Ronin).

The early Nov 2019 calendar now looks like

• Wonder Woman 1984 (11/1)
  • Midway (11/8)
  • Sonic The Hedgehog (11/8)
  • Terminator 6 (11/15)

Roger Ebert wrote this about Pearl Harbor: 

"Pearl Harbor" is a two-hour movie squeezed into three hours, about how on Dec. 7, 1941, the Japanese staged a surprise attack on an American love triangle. Its centerpiece is 40 minutes of redundant special effects, surrounded by a love story of stunning banality. The film has been directed without grace, vision, or originality, and although you may walk out quoting lines of dialog, it will not be because you admire them.

Change a couple words here and there and you will probably have the review for Midway. 

And hey, speaking of Ebert, I went on the dead man's website to find that and saw they gave The Predator three stars. Huh, color me surprised.

59 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Roger Ebert wrote this about Pearl Harbor: 

Change a couple words here and there and you will probably have the review for Midway. 

And hey, speaking of Ebert, I went on the dead man's website to find that and saw they gave The Predator three stars. Huh, color me surprised.

""Predator" begins like "Rambo" and ends like "Alien," and in today's Hollywood, that's creativity. Most movies are inspired by only one previous blockbuster."

• Like 1

Shit, Max Landis was bitching about people not respecting American Ultra's originality, when it was just a cross between a stoner movie and the Bourne Identity. And isn't Skyscraper just Die Hard in the Towering Inferno? Can't wait for Skyscraper 2 - Scrape Harder.

Dave Bautista just made Die Hard in a Stadium. It's called Final Score and it's pretty OK. They filmed it at Upton Park after West Ham moved out, and before it was demolished. So the filmmakers could damage the location as much as they wanted.

Saw The Predator yesterday and thought it was the worst movie the franchise has ever seen. The ending is hot garbage. The new lore basically tosses away everything that's been established before. Nothing makes sense. All the characters act like they are Martin Riggs starring in Transformers 1-3. 

The kid is annoying. His mom is a horrible parent. Dad isn't much better. 

I truly believe that Black secretly hated and resented Predator for the last 30 years and wanted to destroy the franchise for good. I can't think of a single other good reason why he would make such a bad film like this. It's also badly shot and edited. Bad scene transitions and character turns that make no fucking sense.

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

From the Coen brothers.  Was gonna be an anthology series, wound up becoming a feature film, apparently because the Coens were worried people would watch episodes out of order or not watch all of them.