DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2018 UPCOMING MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Mile 22

Directed by Peter Berg

Mark Wahlberg,  John Malkovich, Iko Uwais~!

This is the movie Rhonda Rousey was filming around Rumble time

Just another "Must get person from Point A to Point B" movie

Also - if I squint the villain looks a little like Daisuke Sekimoto so I am WAY too excited about this film now

There probably won't be nearly enough Iko Uwais Pencak Silat assbeatings or Lauren Cohan being cute as hell scenes in this movie to make me happy.

Gareth Evans needs to just hurry the fuck up and get this Deathstroke movie done for DC and make me another Indonesian crime epic.

I ... don’t know what to make of this. Some of it gives me an AMERICAN PSYCHO vibe, and that’s good. And some of it just looks.... awful? Like, the dialogue especially.

One thing is for sure: Matt Dillon looks a lot like Bruce Campbell.

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Finally I get to do this! 

Control hates my posts

(see Horror Movie thread) 

I looked through the last four pages of this thread, which is ample due diligence!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

50 minutes ago, Control said:

I looked through the last four pages of this thread, which is ample due diligence!

Yeah - no one cares about Horror except Curt and JT

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah - no one cares about Horror except Curt and JT

People care about Horror.

No one cares about the Horror Movies thread but me and Curt.

52 minutes ago, EVA said:

I never had any interest in this.  It was pretty clear early in development that the surviving members of Queen were only interested in making a rock hagiography.

Sacha Baron Cohen quitting for that very reason was damn near five years ago.

• Like 2

I don't know why that is such news. It's long been reported that the movie is going to be about the band leading up to and ending at their "revival" performance at Live Aid. 

And the rumors were that Cohen quit because the band wanted Freddie's death to happen at the halfway point of the movie and the rest of the film would be how they still persevered and went on without him after his death.

Cohen was generally disappointed with the sanitizing of Mercury's rock star lifestyle. He specifically mentioned them not including Freddy's parties being staffed with little people with serving trays of cocaine strapped to their heads. 

I'm of the mind that I don't need to see dozens of touring and studio montages cut to Queens greatest hits interspersed with cute anecdotal scenes performed by actors in silly wigs.

Everybody who is so goddamn adamant that it include Freddie's AIDS period seems to forget that he literally denied having AIDS until the day before he died. 

Eazy-E didn't come out with having full blown AIDS until days before he died, but it's still an important part of the history of NWA. Is it not strange to cover the front man dying from what was at the time the boogeyman disease of boogeyman diseases?

Freddie's "AIDS period" (and fucking yuck to that phrasing, btw) started WELL before his 1987 diagnosis of AIDS. 

The way the disease works is this:  you get HIV however you get it (sex, needles, transfusion, being born to an HIV+ mother), have it for a while -- years -- usually asymptomatically, and then when the virus starts attacking your white blood cells, that's when you get diagnosed with AIDS.   If the disease has progressed to the point you get diagnosed with AIDS, especially in 1987 -- you will die soon. AIDS kills you by allowing any disease that your body normally would fight off easily can kill you. You don't die of AIDS, you die with AIDS.

There were rumors of Mercury being HIV+ since the early 80's.  And if you aren't aware, literally not figuratively literally hundreds of thousands of people died in the 1980's to the "Gay Man's Plague".  This story has the ability to show one of the most talented, influential musical legends and how his life paralleled that of a hedonistic generation of gay men in Europe, Australia, & America, and tell a larger story of what it meant to have this disease that carried not only a death sentence, but a social stigma, that left thousands orphaned from any kind of basic human treatment (on top of being gay or pansexual or however Mercury chose to identify).  

He held fear in his heart about what his diagnosis meant for his career and his fame, until the week of his death.  

He was an icon.  He could have been a hero.  A beacon of light to a generation of INCREDIBLY talented men and women we lost to a horrible, horrible, horrible disease.   

But he wasn't.  

That's Freddy Mercury's legacy.  And THAT is the story they should have made.  Not Brian May trying to fucking figure out why Freddie wanted to add god damned orchestral pieces to a 6 minute song. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

Eazy-E didn't come out with having full blown AIDS until days before he died, but it's still an important part of the history of NWA. Is it not strange to cover the front man dying from what was at the time the boogeyman disease of boogeyman diseases?

Considering the crazy rumors around how Eazy died, Straight Outta Compton handled this as smoothly as possible without opening the largest can of worms. Granted, Tomica Woods-Wright was also a producer. I don't think she was going to help those rumors persist seeing as she hasn't made a ton of friends in the time since she inherited Ruthless Records (those royalty checks stopped coming). For example, there was speculation of Eazy-E being given Kemron with the help of the Nation of Islam, his condition improving greatly or at least a noticeable improvement, Tomica having the treatment discontinued not knowing what Kemron was, and then Eazy-E dying shortly thereafter. 

There is also Eazy-E, who as his friends noted wasn't the marrying type, signing all his stuff over to Tomica and subsequently marrying her in the hospital with all his other girlfriends in the hospital 23 hours before he fell into a coma and just days before he died. Keep in mind, they were broken up at the time after he kicked her out. 

Also, a part of it could be not trying to add another hour to the film and wrap it up in a timely manner by just showing a young man without his affairs in order. With Mercury, it's a whole entirely different matter but just substitute the widow with a guitarist. How much you delve into it should be a judgment call. Not delving into it at all is just asinine. With that said, that original tweet above was from 2017 and Bryan Fuller getting partly angry over the Youtube description for a teaser doesn't mean it's not going to be covered at all along with his relationship with men. Jumping the gun a tad bit. The original article said it's not going to cover his personal life yet they have someone playing Mary Austin AND Jim Hutton along with another one of his male partners. So which one is it?

• Like 1

I came here to speak some truth for Freddie Mercury but Dolfan already did that shit.

Elsalvajeloco covered the Eazy-E base thoroughly

I guess I will go back to the Video Games forum.

Oh, and fuck that Freddie Mercury biopic that has no fucking teeth.

• Like 2