DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2018 UPCOMING MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Variety and other places have confirmed that Amazon has indeed pulled out.

Ironically - they won the French case and it will be screened at Cannes

I completely checked out from that trailer when that scientist woman said "hybridization." Nope. This is not what I wanted from a new Predator movie.

I'm holding out hope though, because of Shane Black.

22 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

NEVER GOIN' BACK (RED BAND for language)

Starring Maia Mitchell, Camila Morrone, and Kyle Mooney

That vid capture is the very definition of clickbait.

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

That vid capture is the very definition of clickbait.

The actual trailer (and by proxy movie) is infuriating

The trailer has the deceptive feel of a movie that might be 100% hot garbage or it might be the sleeper hit of the summer.

There is no in between.

Moving it up or down a slot on your RT or BO ballot would fucking ruin you if it did unexpectedly well or totally bombed..

And then there is issue of the clickbait that is Mila Kunis's cleavage...

Everything I hate about YouTube is perfectly encapsulated in the vidcaps for the trailers of The Spy Who Dumped Me and Never Goin' Back.

• Like 1

I don't understand why Predator is still a thing.  The first movie was good, but not great.  Pretty much everything that's followed has been bad or a commercial disappointment - usually both.  Is there still a thriving merch market?  There was a market for Predator novels, video games,. comic books, but I feel like that has largely gone away.

It got stellar reviews at the Cannes (granted it only premiered there hours ago), but if this disappoints me, I will give up entirely on black cinema and just only watch Hirokazu Koreeda films. And cry a lot from watching said Koreeda films.

FTW, Koreeda's new film Shoplifters also just premiered at Cannes and everyone loves it. So yeah, don't let me down Spike.

I've kinda soured on Spike Lee films over the years, but this one looks really entertaining. I was talking with a friend about how Spike Lee reminds me of Darren Aronofsky in that when they go against the grain and make something a little more mainstream (Inside Man, The Wrestler) it winds up being pretty refreshing because it's not leaning on the style of movie that made each guy.

I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with making a mainstream movie because each director proved that they can do that and do it really well.