DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2017 - WEEK 17

RIPPA

I must be having a Christmas dinner hangover.  James Harrison is a Patriot now?  Did I overdo it on the roast potatoes?

I'm still not convinced that the Garoppolo trade was too clever.  Sir Tom can say that he's going to play another 10 years, but I can say that I'm going to take Scarlett Johansson out for a Nando's...  We're clearly nearer the end of his career than the beginning.  Was a tag and trade like they did with Cassel not an option to at least delay the decision into the off-season?  Obviously I hope that he has another decade of glory and ends up winning one for his toes, but then the nagging doubt of reality claws at me.

Well, we're ridiculously thin on the front 7. It's sort of like regressing to the mean after everything breaking well last year - shrugging off the Jones/Collins trades and finding McClellin/Flowers/Van Noy - whereas injuries have meant everything's broken the other way this year.  Bill is probably wondering if Willie McGinest still has anything left at this point.

One day after being called a cancer by his own teammate - Eli Apple got himself suspended by the Giants for "a pattern of behavior that is conduct detrimental to the team." 

Good times

So the Giants are going with Dave Gettleman as GM

Not surprising at all - I just am really leery due to how things went south in Carolina

At least this means there is a chance Josh McDaniels won't be the HC

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

So the Giants are going with Dave Gettleman as GM

Not surprising at all - I just am really leery due to how things went south in Carolina

At least this means there is a chance Josh McDaniels won't be the HC

As GMs go he's one of the better ones.  Top 10 easily.  Just don't expect to spend much in free agency. Ever.

I'm slightly surprised just because home field is still up for grabs, technically.

Cleveland is facing not only tying the '08 Lions for worst record ever, but if they lose they'd also set a new record for worst two year record ever at 1-31 (The Lions, again, went 2-30 08-09)

Full Week 17 AFC Playoff Scenarios

New England Patriots

-Clinch #1 seed in AFC with win (vs New York Jets) OR Pittsburgh loss (vs Cleveland)

Pittsburgh Steelers

-Clinch #1 seed in AFC with win (vs Cleveland) AND New England loss (vs New York Jets)

Jacksonville Jaguars

-Locked into #3 seed

Kansas City Chiefs

-Locked into #4 seed

Baltimore Ravens

-Clinch playoff berth with win (vs Cincinnati) OR Buffalo loss (at Miami) OR Tennessee loss (vs Jacksonville)

Tennessee Titans

-Clinch playoff berth with win (vs Jacksonville) OR Buffalo loss (at Miami) + Los Angeles loss (vs Oakland)

Los Angeles Chargers

-Clinch playoff berth with win (vs Oakland) AND Tennessee loss (vs Jacksonville) AND a loss by either Baltimore (vs Cincinnati) or Buffalo (at Miami)

Buffalo Bills

-Clinch playoff berth win win (at Miami) and either a loss by Baltimore (vs Cincinnati) or losses by both Los Angeles (vs Oakland) AND Tennessee (vs Jacksonville)

Shorter version

Baltimore and Tennessee are both in if they win. A loss by either of them opens the door for the Chargers or the Bills.

Full Week 17 NFC Playoff Scenarios

Philadelphia Eagles

Locked into #1 seed

Minnesota Vikings

Clinch #2 seed with win (vs Chicago) OR New Orleans win (at Tampa Bay) OR Los Angeles win (vs San Francisco) OR Carolina loss (vs Atlanta)

Los Angeles Rams

Clinch #3 seed with win (vs San Francisco)

New Orleans Saints

Clinch NFC South with win (at Tampa Bay) OR Carolina loss (vs Atlanta); would move up to #3 seed with win and Los Angeles loss (vs San Francisco)

Carolina Panthers

Clinch NFC South win win (at Atlanta) AND New Orleans loss (at Tampa Bay); would take #2 seed with win AND Minnesota loss (vs Chicago) AND Los Angeles loss (vs San Francisco) AND New Orleans loss (at Tampa Bay)

Atlanta Falcons

Clinch playoff berth with win (vs Carolina) OR Seattle loss (vs Arizona)

Seattle Seahawks

Clinch playoff berth with win (vs Arizona) AND Atlanta loss (vs Carolina)

Shorter version

Philly is your top seed no matter what.

Minnesota is the #2 seed unless a lot of stuff happens.

The only team that can knock Minnesota out of the 2 spot is Carolina.

The Rams have announced that they're resting Todd Gurley and Aaron Donald against San Francisco. New Orleans doesn't have that luxury because they still haven't won their division yet.

Atlanta is in with a win. Seattle is the only other team still alive in the NFC.

I really don't get the Steelers punting on home field advantage. It looks like they're setting themselves up for a trap game against Cleveland. Of course, if things look bad, you can just have Big Ben and Bell go in in the 2nd half.

21 hours ago, Craig H said:

I really don't get the Steelers punting on home field advantage. It looks like they're setting themselves up for a trap game against Cleveland. Of course, if things look bad, you can just have Big Ben and Bell go in in the 2nd half.

They're probably more worried about Myles Garrett getting his wish and sacking Big Ben, than they are about securing home field.