DVDVR Message Board

WWE ROYAL RUMBLE 2018 (Jan 28, 2018)

RIPPA

5 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

I don't mean to keep interrupting the Steph hate, but Renee Young was actually not very good as an announcer. Remember her NXT work? There's a reason they have her doing what she's great at - the backstage interviews and Talking Smack type stuff.

Regal was great though. Just saying.

7 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Regal was great though. Just saying.

Believe me, after months and months of "THE WORD CAPITULATE IS NOT IN HIS DICTIONARY" commentary from Mauro, I basically just spend every Wednesday night fantasizing about Regal on commentary.

2 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

The one thing I love about the Royal Rumble is fans going mental predicting who will win it. There's some people I know insisting Daniel Bryan not only comes back but wins it. That CM Punk comes back and wins. FFS, use your head.

Aside from Balor or maybe Shinsuke winning it to challenge AJ, who else is feasible? Braun? Roman again because why the Hell not?

I could see Finn, Nakamura, Kofi, Big E, Dolph, Roman, or Cena winning it.

I'm not really too bothered about Steph on commentary. I honestly can't remember if she has done it before so I can play wait and see. Personally I wouldn't have mind if they gave Lita another shot. She was the better of the two between her and JR during the MYC, and I can see her working well enough if she had someone like Corey by her side.

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Oh my sweet summer child. 

:(

It isn't out of the question at all to think Kofi could win. I think he has more of a chance than Big E. They're all guys who are part of one of the most over acts in the company. They were even picked to help promote Raw 25 on the Tonight Show. The Raw side is locked down, but the SDL side seems wide open.

Rusev is another guy who could get the mega push.

I don't think they have enough over female talent to fill an hour long Rumble match especially without Charlotte and Alexa. I haven't watched NXT in a good while, but I'm pretty sure they don't have any acts there as over as the Horsewomen were. Asuka has been painfully unover the few times I've seen her on Raw.

It's pretty clear Brock is keeping the title until Mania.  Considering the Rumble and EC both give the winner a shot at the main title, that lead me to think of this scenario - Finn wins the Rumble while Roman wins the EC and face Brock in a 3 way.  Brock doesn't necessarily have to take the fall and we end up with a Roman/Finn program after that.  That's not an outcome I'd like to see but also strikes me as something the WWE brass would do.

Just now, Matt D said:

Barring a surprise, I'm thinking Finn, Nak or Corbin. Granted, I haven't been watching too closely so I don't know how diminished the Corbin push has been. He just seems like the guy they'd push to face AJ fifth from the top at Mania.

Good point: winning the Rumble isn't necessarily the main event by a long shot. It could be the  hot open. Hell, it could be the pre-show if they really want someone to get mad and walk over losing out on DVD revenue.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Barring a surprise, I'm thinking Finn, Nak or Corbin. Granted, I haven't been watching too closely so I don't know how diminished the Corbin push has been. He just seems like the guy they'd push to face AJ fifth from the top at Mania.

Based on this week's SD it looks like he's about to start a program with Orton.  Or maybe Orton is about to start a feud with Nak, I honestly can't tell if Orton is supposed to be a face or a heel at this point.

9 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Extremely diminished but start-stop is what they do (in general but specifically with Corbin). He did beat AJ clean in October then AJ won the WWE title. He beat Miz at Survivor Series and I don't think he's won a match since. I'm a fan of him so I would dig a Corbin rumble win but would never expect it.

I don't think it's a great idea to bring up a bunch of women the crowd doesn't know and throw them in there.  It's going to be very quiet in that building.  Maybe the Iconic Duo could work but if they start throwing others in there...    I'd rather see them throw some legends like Trish and Beth Phoenix out there to get a pop and keep it going.   Then you can go with Asuka or Ronda or whoever the hell they want to win. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JCM said:

Asuka has been painfully unover the few times I've seen her on Raw.

Asuka is starting to get over in recent weeks.  If they spread out her,  Bayley,  Becky, Sasha, Naomi,  maybe there's enough there to keep it going but I hate to say it,  this is a match that needs the legends.  Bella Twins would both get a good pop too. 

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't think it's a great idea to bring up a bunch of women the crowd doesn't know and throw them in there.  It's going to be very quiet in that building.  Maybe the Iconic Duo could work but if they start throwing others in there...    I'd rather see them throw some legends like Trish and Beth Phoenix out there to get a pop and keep it going.   Then you can go with Asuka or Ronda or whoever the hell they want to win. 

I don't think it'll be a problem for the crowd if they throw in a load of NXT women.  If I know who they are, I think the majority of phillidelphia fans and fans that are going to travel to the show (and I think there will be a lot of travelling fans) will definitely know them and react to them. 

Case in point, I knew nothing about Adam Cole, but at Takeover when he debuted, a LOT of people were ready for the ADAM COLE BAYBEE! spot.

5 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

DOLPH?

A fucking member of New Day?

C'maaaaaaan....

I'm legitimately terrified Dolph will win. I keep trying to convince myself that his "leaving the belt in the ring" bit was to set up a big US title ladder match at WM, but there's a nagging doubt that he'll come out at 30 as a surprise and win the thing.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I love Little Mix so I am happy.

The rest of you will probably be in hell

I'll back you here.

15 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

The one thing I love about the Royal Rumble is fans going mental predicting who will win it. There's some people I know insisting Daniel Bryan not only comes back but wins it. That CM Punk comes back and wins. FFS, use your head.

Aside from Balor or maybe Shinsuke winning it to challenge AJ, who else is feasible? Braun? Roman again because why the Hell not?

I like there isn't an obvious winner like in previous Royal Rumbles. Gets over the anyone can win the Royal Rumble match...well, y'know. Thinking it's a Finn Balor win, Shinsuke's a possiblity. Can see it's Roman carrying on the tradition of him pissing off the fans in the Rumble match.

People have so worked themselves into a shoot about Bryan being in it (mainly due to betting line thing) that Meltzer pointed out that they better have learned from a couple of years ago and put either a heel (most likely Miz) or the Undertaker at #30 just to be safe (Taker being the only "surprise" that the crowd wouldn't shit all over if it wasn't Bryan)

Now, as has been pointed out, CM Punk being #30 would also serve this role but that ain't fucking happening

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

People have so worked themselves into a shoot about Bryan being in it (mainly due to betting line thing) that Meltzer pointed out that they better have learned from a couple of years ago and put either a heel (most likely Miz) or the Undertaker at #30 just to be safe (Taker being the only "surprise" that the crowd wouldn't shit all over if it wasn't Bryan)

Now, as has been pointed out, CM Punk being #30 would also serve this role but that ain't fucking happening

I don't think it's that dire. Maybe one step below being that dire? The travelling/Philly Royal Rumble crowd would go nuts for Ricochet. Obviously someone like Omega. I actually think Gargano could keep the crowd from turning on him, for instance. Why you'd have any of those guys come in at 30 is beyond me though. It's like 2018 Jericho. If Vince wants him in the match, he wants him in there for 30 minutes+ to help play crowd control.