DVDVR Message Board

UFC on Fox 26: Lawler vs. Dos Anjos (12/16/2017) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada (Bell MTS Place)

Elsalvajeloco

DPWRfaBWkAM-XYJ.jpg

UFC on Fox 26: Lawler vs. Dos Anjos 
December 16, 2017
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada (Bell MTS Place)

Robbie Lawler (170.5) vs. Rafael dos Anjos (170) - Dos Anjos, DEC (unanimous)
Ricardo Lamas (146) vs. Josh Emmett (148.5)* - Emmett, KO (punch), R1 (4:33)
Santiago Ponzinibbio (170.5) vs. Mike Perry (170) - Ponzinibbio, DEC (unanimous)
Glover Teixeira (205) vs. Misha Cirkunov (205.5) - Teixeira , TKO (punches), R1 (2:45)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:
Jan Błachowicz (205.5) vs. Jared Cannonier (204) - Błachowicz, DEC (unanimous)
Julian Marquez (185) vs. Darren Stewart (185.5) - Marquez, SUB (guillotine choke), R2 (2:42)
Chad Laprise (170.5) vs. Galore Bofando (170) - Laprise, TKO (punches), R1 (4:10)
Nordine Taleb (170.5) vs. Danny Roberts (170.5) - Taleb, KO (head kick and punches), R1 (0:59)
John Makdessi (153)  vs. Abel Trujillo (155.5) - Makdessi, DEC (unanimous)
Alessio Di Chirico (185) vs. Oluwale Bamgbose (184.5) - Di Chirico, KO (knee), R2 (2:14)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Jordan Mein (169) vs. Erick Silva (170.5) - Mein, DEC (unanimous)

*Forfeits 30% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Alessio Di Chirico
Performance of the Night: Nordine Taleb
Fight of the Night: Julian Marquez vs. Darren Stewart

Attendance: 8,862
Gate: $781,359
Rating: 2.1 million viewers

Cancelled Bouts:
Antônio Rogério Nogueira vs. Jared Cannonier - Nogueira Removed Due to USADA Violation for Hydrochlorothiazide 
José Aldo vs. Ricardo Lamas - Aldo Moved to Another Event
Vitor Miranda vs. Julian Marquez - Injury to Miranda 
Tim Elliott vs. Justin Scoggins - Injury to Scoggins (Spinal Fracture) 
Nordine Taleb vs. Sultan Aliev - Injury to Aliev 
Sheldon Westcott vs. Danny Roberts - Injury to Westcott 
Tim Elliott vs. Pietro Menga - Menga Removed After Not Weighing In

I love Robbie's grit and respect RDA's ground skills, but this feels like a brawl between two guys who cannot crack the code of Tyron Woodley.

If RDA gets by Lawler, we'll see if his BJJ can succeed where Maia's failed.

9 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I wish we got an immediate rematch between Robbie Lawler and Carlos Condit for Lawler's UFC Welterweight Championship as it was a fucking awesome fight, one of the best ever. The wrong guy got the nod IMO.

I was ducking and weaving in the fifth round. No fight's ever made me do that. 1, 3 and 4 Condit.

Wanted Platinum vs. Till after the trash talk between the two in Poland, but the Ponzinibio fight had already been announced.

I hope they can make that fight afterwards if Platinum wins despite the rumors of Till vs. Wonderboy.

22 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Wanted Platinum vs. Till after the trash talk between the two in Poland, but the Ponzinibio fight had already been announced.

I hope they can make that fight afterwards if Platinum wins despite the rumors of Till vs. Wonderboy.

I think the fact that Wonderboy's dad said they weren't interested in fighting Till plus there being little movement on that fight since UFC 217 indicates that a possible Till-Perry fight is becoming more likely should Perry be victorious on Saturday. I don't see why they would try to make a separate card for Liverpool even though London and Liverpool are on different sides of England. If it makes sense to book the fight, put that one in London and just do a Liverpool card down the line. 

4 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think the fact that Wonderboy's dad said they weren't interested in fighting Till plus there being little movement on that fight since UFC 217 indicates that a possible Till-Perry fight is becoming more likely should Perry be victorious on Saturday. I don't see why they would try to make a separate card for Liverpool even though London and Liverpool are on different sides of England. If it makes sense to book the fight, put that one in London and just do a Liverpool card down the line. 

If Platinum beats Ponzinibio, Platinum vs. Till would be an ideal headliner for the Orlando card.

Just now, Edwin said:

If Platinum beats Ponzinibio, Platinum vs. Till would be an ideal headliner for the Orlando card.

Given that it looks like Usman might not be fighting Emil Meek, you can do any of the Florida based welterweights against Till on the Orlando card whether's it's Perry, Ponzi, Usman, or Covington even though he's from the Central Valley of California. However, yeah, Perry being more local to central Florida than those guys would give him an advantage if they want to do a Till fight in Orlando.

Yeah, I read Menga had a bad weight cut and was on his way to the hospital to get his kidneys checked out.

Elliot was offered the fight at catchweight, but he turned it down.

Did Abel Trujillo split from Henri Hooft? It looked like Carrington Banks was his only cornerman.

With Danny Roberts fighting next, it would make sense for Hooft to stay behind as Roberts was warming up. However, Trujillo's performance was indicative of someone who just had another fighter working his corner instead of a trainer.

Perry vs. Ponzinibio was pretty much evertything I expected to be.  Two really tough, talented fighters in a close blood and guts fight.  Ponzinibio seemed to be the smarter of the two fighters and was able to fight tactically in a way that gave him the most opportunities to land without exposing himself to Perry's crazy power.  

9 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Perry vs. Ponzinibio was pretty much evertything I expected to be.  Two really tough, talented fighters in a close blood and guts fight.  Ponzinibio seemed to be the smarter of the two fighters and was able to fight tactically in a way that gave him the most opportunities to land without exposing himself to Perry's crazy power.  

It's basically how Jouban beat Perry except Ponzi decided to get more inside with Perry in the second round which in returned allowed Perry to land more.

This also highlights the difference between wasted movement and effective movement if you compare what Bamgbose did round 1 vs. Di Chirico and Ponzi round 1 vs. Perry. Bamgbose was throwing soft jabs, soft right hands, ineffective soft low leg kicks and moreover, doing that infrequently and missing half the time. Ponzi was moving a lot but he was also kicking Perry hard in the legs and basically slowing Perry down for the next 2/3s of the fight. Di Chirico was basically standing with his hands down and just staring at Bamgbose in the middle of the cage as Bamgbose was circling around the fence at one point. If Bamgbose was worried about his cardio, moving without doing anything but circling is basically getting tired from doing nothing. You might as well go back to wild brawling because at least you have a puncher's chance. 

• Like 1