DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 122: Bisping vs. Gastelum (11/25/2017) - Shanghai, China (Mercedes Benz Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_Fight_Night_Shanghai_Bisping_vs._Gas

UFC Fight Night 122: Bisping vs. Gastelum 
November 25, 2017
Shanghai, China (Mercedes Benz Arena)

Michael Bisping (186) vs. Kelvin Gastelum (186) - Gastelum, KO (punches), R1 (2:30)
Jingliang Li (171) vs. Zak Ottow (171) - Li, TKO (punches), R1 (2:57)
Guan Wang (146) vs. Alex Caceres (146) - Wang, DEC (split)
Muslim Salikhov (170) vs. Alex Garcia (171) - Garcia, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (2:33)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Zabit Magomedsharipov (146) vs. Sheymon Moraes (145) - Magomedsharipov, SUB (anaconda choke), R3 (4:30)
Song Kenan (170) vs. Bobby Nash (170.5) - Kenan, TKO (punches), R1 (0:15)
Kailin Curran (116) vs. Xiaonan Yan (116) - Yan, DEC (unanimous)
Song Yadong (146) vs. Bharat Khandare (145) - Yadong, SUB (front chancery choke), R1 (4:16)
Chase Sherman (252) vs. Shamil Abdurakhimov (261) - Abdurakhimov, KO (punch), R1 (1:24)
Wu Yanan (135) vs. Gina Mazany (135) - Mazany, DEC (unanimous)
Buren Wuliji (146) vs. Rolando Dy (148)* - Dy, DEC (unanimous)
Cyril Asker (244) vs. Hu Yaozong (232) - Asker, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (2:33)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000?
Performance of the Night: Song Yadong
Performance of the Night: Zabit Magomedsharipov
Performance of the Night: Jingliang Li
Performance of the Night: Kelvin Gastelum

Attendance: 15,128

Cancelled Fights:
Anderson Silva vs. Kelvin Gastelum - Silva Flagged for Potential USADA Violation
Cyril Asker vs. James Mulheron - Mulheron Flagged for Potential USADA Violation
Lin Pingyuan vs. Bharat Khandare - Injury to Pingyuan

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

Bisping only needed 11 days notice to KTFO Rockhold for the UFC Middleweight Championship ; ).

Yep.  You gotta get back on the horse that threw you, so they say.

• Like 1

Bisping rather openly talked about wanting to retire at the UK show in March of next year and... I always consider it a dangerous sign when a fighter talks of retiring two fights in the future.  Reminds me of Oscar de la Hoya planning his three stage retirement and putting Pacquiao as his second to last opponent, which of course ended up being his last opponent.

When the fight was first announced I said I was rather split on how I thought it'd go, now I kinda think it is gonna be a very bad night for Bisping.

To be fair, there were strong rumors Bisping was going to retire at UFC 204. However, I think the allure of having a money fight on the way out kept him around. He got that fight and now he doesn't really have anything left to fight for. However, I don't think that plays into the outcome of this fight. Bisping isn't about to pull a Sean Salmon and pull a semi dive just so he can make it to the card in London. Nor do I think he is overlooking Gastelum for this imaginary TBA. That's not Michael Bisping. If Gastelum beats him, it's probably because Kelvin is a bad style matchup for Bisping and Bisping is a bit older. 

Oh no, I would never suggest that Bisping would pull a semi-dive or anything like that, he's much to proud to do something that skeezy.  I just think that if you are "one foot in, one foot out" (combined with being old and worn enough to be near retirement in the first place) that you should probably just take the last fight where you are fully committed to leaving it all out there rather than try to stretch things out.  You're half out for a reason after all.

2 hours ago, username said:

Oh no, I would never suggest that Bisping would pull a semi-dive or anything like that, he's much to proud to do something that skeezy.  I just think that if you are "one foot in, one foot out" (combined with being old and worn enough to be near retirement in the first place) that you should probably just take the last fight where you are fully committed to leaving it all out there rather than try to stretch things out.  You're half out for a reason after all.

As hard as he probably trains, I think there might be differing definitions of fully committed. I mean if you have no interest in fighting someone and already have your last fight planned, you just don't take the fight at all. It's not like anyone is going to blast Bisping for not taking the fight shortly after UFC 217. The point being is what would he do differently for his last fight that he wouldn't be able to do against Gastelum other than exploit a style matchup against possibly a lesser foe? I mean if he fought Nate Marquardt, Sam Alvey, or Daniel Kelly at the O2 Arena, I don't think the difference would be "well, he was clearly fully committed to this fight". I think the end of the career roadmap would be more a problem if he somehow retained against GSP and had to fight Romero, Whittaker, or Rockhold a few months after that with the retirement cloud still hovering over his head. I mean that's an extremely difficult road without retirement talk. I couldn't imagine it being "well, you can fight someone who is probably going to be an overwhelming favorite against you and extend your career another six months" (or basically an exact replica of what ended happened in the leadup with the GSP fight). It would also be a problem if he was totally done physically, but you can never exactly pinpoint that unless he is losing brutally everytime out (ex. Liddell post UFC 79). However, I doubt Bisping is carrying on for another three years. So I take it as Bisping being the ultimate company man and bailing the UFC out on short notice. Plus, he main evented the first "Chinese" UFC card so you have a little continuity I guess.

Going to be interesting to see if Xiaonan Yan can put it all together because her striking is up to par. If she can fight in the last round like she does in the first, she will be a good prospect and someone the UFC can put promotional muscle behind.

• Like 1

Superb counter hook by Gastelum got Bisping out of there. Kelvin was having trouble closing the distance but Bisping eliminated that space for him by throwing a wide hook that missed. Whoever throws the tighter punches is always going to win that exchange and it's usually not good news for the person who loses.