DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

On 7/8/2021 at 11:42 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Apparently yet another Phantasm box set is coming out and part 2 will be the X/NC-17 original version. 

https://www.phantasm.com/blog/phantasm-2-came-out-33-years-ago-today-why-the-x-rated-version-is-canon

Thanks for posting this.

I pre-ordered at Amazon for $99 after reading your post.

Apparently they oversold as the release date of the 13th got pushed back to sometime in September.

They had been trickling into Best Buy, but not one close to me.

But last week there were some in stock for $94 at Nashville West Best Buy, so I was able to order one and cancel my Amazon order.

Loving the set so far, only watched 1 & 2.

Edited by Travis Sheldon
  • Like 2

Vinegar Syndrome’s August lineup:

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/collections/frontpage/products/august-2021-package

Terminal Island [4k UHD/Blu-ray] 
Tough Guys Don’t Dance [Blu-ray] 
Girls School Screamers [Blu-ray] 
Auntie Lee’s Meat Pies [Blu-ray]
Whatever It Takes [Blu-ray]

TOUGH GUYS DON’T DANCE is directed by Norman Mailer, who seems an odd entry to the VS catalogue.

Fun fact: I’ve published two book chapters on Mailer, making me an “expert” and thus buying this should be a business expense.

I don’t know *any* of the other films.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Criterion’s first slate of 4K UHD releases:

Citizen Kane,
Menace II Society,
The Piano,
Mulholland Dr.,
The Red Shoes, 
A Hard Day’s Night

I could see myself grabbing THE RED SHOES, price permitting.

Edited by Control

Just wonder what the price point on those is going to be: 50?  I'd imagine that.  Would have to be half-off-sale fodder to bother with them.  Too bad I already have Piano & Mulholland, the 2 I actually love (though Piano is not a Crit).  Guess I could get Kane eventually as I don't have it and haven't watched it since middle school.

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Kane is $48 for four discs, the other 4Ks are $40

That’s honestly much better than what I was expecting.

edit: yeah that’s more like it.

Edited by Control

• 2 weeks later...

WOW... just, wow. Of all of those films I've only heard of Viy and Dark Waters, and barely at that. What are the odds that all these films are out there, completely buried, all look TOTALLY AWESOME, and Severin manages to find and restore them all? They must've been working on this for years. Incredible. 

I went into the local used movie store last week and noticed they seemed to have an abundance of b and cult films, like way more than usual. I asked the owner about it and he said that about a month ago a guy with the "largest collection of horror, cult and b movie blu rays he's ever seen" came in to sell his entire collection. Like way more movies then they can even put out. They're putting out 30-40 every Monday, Wednesday and Friday and there are still over a dozen large plastic storage containers under the shelves full of movies they don't have space on the racks for yet. I counted 18 on just a cursory glance around.

I am money tight right now, but I still picked up Crawlspace, Tourist Trap, Curse of the Cat People and Hard to be a God. I could have easily walked out with 30 movies if I had no willpower. He put up his Monday releases on Facebook yesterday and I have him holding Dead-End Drive-In for me. Pray for my wallet if this keeps up. My hope is that future drops have more Val Lewton movies, I've been hardcore into them since listening to the Secret History of Hollywood podcast about him

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

You lucky bastard. I feel for the person though, that had to be one of the hardest decisions they've ever made. Sophie's fuckin Choice right there...

Yeah, I didn't want to pry into why he sold them, I'm assuming it's a sad story. I can't even imagine what they originally spent on this collection; 10s of thousands? They're all blu ray releases and a lot of them boutique releases from places like Vinegar Syndrome, Arrow and Severin.

I feel good for the store, even being used they're still pricing them at 20-40 bucks (Canadian) each because they will absolutely get that for them (and this dude kept good care of them, every one I looked at looked brand new), so this is a boon for the business.

How are eviction rates in Canada right now? We're still trying to keep a moratorium in place but sob stories are still on the news every night. That's the only thing I can think of, was that person had to pull the trigger on that decision due to serious debt from Covid unemployment.

Loss of employment due to Covid was my thinking as well.

I'm not sure what eviction rates are here, but I do know that vacancy rates for affordable rental living in Winnipeg is exceptionally low. Like 2% for lower income renters and 4% for middle class renters, so if you do lose your apartment it can be very hard to find a new one as you're competing with tonnes of people for the few spaces there are