DVDVR Message Board

Brian Michael Bendis to DC exclusive.

The Natural

Dude is writing four comics at Marvel as of January solicits. This is going to be a big shakeup on that alone. But beyond that, for better or worse Bendis has kind of defined the last 10-15 years of Marvel Comics. Like 50% or more of their phase one Netflix shows don't exist without him. Miles Morales and Jessica Jones don't exist. The kind of bantery character driven titles they have? Less likely to have priority.

Whatever you think about Bendis and I have mixed feels from book to book, this is HUGE news.

I'm torn. I'm kind of glad he is gone, but at the same time I don't really want him at DC, especially since nothing immediately sticks out as a good fit for him and for the money they have to be paying him it seems almost a certainty he gets books for major characters.

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

I'm torn. I'm kind of glad he is gone, but at the same time I don't really want him at DC, especially since nothing immediately sticks out as a good fit for him and for the money they have to be paying him it seems almost a certainty he gets books for major characters.

And wait til they find out that it really was the movies that made his shitty books sell...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Good riddance.  Give DC Dan Slott as well. 

I haven’t been hit as hard by a comic as I was for the end of his Silver Surfer run in years. Spidey’s pretty stale but Marvel has their most enjoyable writer on the sister book, so it’s fine.

Speculation from Bleeding Cool:

But first, what was going on with Bendis at Marvel? He was writing Jessica Jones, Guardians Of The Galaxy, Defenders, Spider-Man, Spider-Men II, Invincible Iron Man and Infamous Iron Man. He had written the Civil War II crossover event. But he deliberately stayed well away from Secret Empire. His books didn’t crossover with the big event, and Guardians only did when he left.

However his books weren’t getting the big numbers like they used to. And a number of them were subject to being later than usual. His contract was up, the likelihood of getting a raise was low.

The Marvel Comics Creative Committee of which he played a strong part no longer had any influence on the films, after Kevin Feige at Marvel Studios stopped reporting to Ike Perlmutter but to Disney instead. Bendis, who wrote the first of the Marvel end credit scenes with Samuel Jackson as Nick Fury in Iron Man, was no longer a part of that mix.

Bendis had written pretty much every Marvel character he was interested in – and there was no chance of Marvel publishing a Fantastic Four comic now.

So, the Marvel Comics Writers Summit, before New York Comic Con. We mentioned how the issue of increased diversity of Marvel Comics and how to deal with negative reaction towards that, was a significant aspect. I am told that Brian Bendis, creator of Miles Morales and Riri Williams, had quite the disagreement with David Gabriel, whose interview with Miles Griepp for ICV2 regarding diversity at the publisher needed repeated clarifications.

That there was a decision made to give the title called simply Spider-Man to the Peter Parker iteration of the character in 2018, rather than the current Miles Morales, which would become Miles Morales: Spider-Man again, a battle Bendis thought he had previously won for Marvel Legacy.

That Gabriel told Bendis that diversity doesn’t sell. The counter to that being, what does at Marvel aside from Dan Slott’s Amazing Spider-Man and Star Wars?

Now, to be clear,  the fight isn’t why he left – but just part of his overall discontent.

Bendis was losing his swagger, none of his friends were there anymore, it was time to leave the stage – and get a brand new spotlight. And probably a raise into the bargain.

Oh yes, and DC Comics has offered him a spot at their films/multi-media table, working alongside Geoff Johns, something denied him by Kevin Feige at Marvel.

1 hour ago, The Comedian said:

I guess you could see this as DC finally paying Marvel back for the exclusive deals to Morrison and Waid in 2005 that caused Bendis to become Marvel's top guy in the first place...

Does this mean Marvel will undo Bendis' entire footprint on the Marvel Universe just like they did with Grant Morrison on the X-Men books after he left?

9 hours ago, The Comedian said:

And wait til they find out that it really was the movies that made his shitty books sell...

It does kinda feel like DC is buying a bill of goods here. Not comparing quality but WCW giving Vince Russo a giant contract. 

8 hours ago, The Comedian said:

I guess you could see this as DC finally paying Marvel back for the exclusive deals to Morrison and Waid in 2005 that caused Bendis to become Marvel's top guy in the first place...

I'm fairly certain Bendis was outselling both of them when that happened.

Bendis wrote a lot of my favorite books of the 00-05 stretch, but I don't think he's been consistently good in a long time. The Morales stuff is strong but not amazing. I can definitely see the argument that he's done everything wth every character he wants to there, so why not move on? But it'll be weird.

I kinda want to see him on a Superman book.

16 hours ago, Matt D said:

I'm not even sure I want to engage some of you on this, but some of you have left reality far, far behind here.

My Aaron Sorkin news is real, dammit!