DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

13 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

The rules for the WON HOF are:

• At least 15 years of experience, or;
  • Over 35 years old and at least 10 years of experience

Omega debuted in 2000 and will be 35 next year, so he already qualifies.  

I'm thinking the rules need to be modified, considering how many workers are not only starting out very young these days, but are wrestling for far longer, and not staying retired even when they say they will.  The age requirement always seemed insanely low to me - back in the day, most guys wouldn't even get a push till they were in their 30s.  As Cornette has brought up before, Nick Bockwinkel was 41 when he won his first AWA World title.

It feels weird for a guy like AJ Styles to be in the HOF, despite being 40, since it feels like he's still doing the best work of his career right now.

As you know, I've never been a big proponent of putting in guys that are wrestling an active schedule as there is so much that one can do to ruin a career by various nonsense or even criminal acts in the future. Unfortunately, we're in a day where no one ever really retires unless it's due to mobility or life-threatening disability (Edge). So how do we balance recognizing a talent while the person is around to appreciate it with really having a long view at a career. Here's a couple or three personal examples: Kenny Omega, Kazuchika Okada, Tatsuya Naito. In my mind, all three have pretty much cemented a place in the HOF (and fuck you, Jim Cornette) , however, I'm content to wait a bit, maybe until these guys all pass forty? I dunno where the bar should be set, but fifteen years active when guys are starting in their teens and thirty-five seems awfully young. The clock has changed as people have gotten healthier (with or without chemicals), MLB players used to almost universally retire around 35, now it's most guys peak. Speaking for myself as a much lower level baseball player, I was much better 35-45 than I was 25-35, not even comparable. 

So it seems a bit premature to be sticking guys in the HOF mid-career, but what's the answer? I honestly don't know.

9 hours ago, Hagan said:

AND - PWInsider reports that Lio Rush has been released.

Insert your own [this is what happens when you're really not ready for] joke. 

He's on the NXT show tonight so seems like this is fake news.

• Like 1

Off topic but I was discussing Vikings with co-workers today and used the term "heel turn" in regards to King Harald's actions in the last episode. The people I was talking to haven't watched wrestling since they were kids but most of them got it. Had to explain the term to a couple.

4 hours ago, Dewar said:

Disappointed that the lucha logjam did not get cleared up this year.

Farmer and I tried. Lucha is grotesquely under-represented in the WON HOF, but the only ones that seem to care are a few of us over on Wrestling Classics. I can only assume that enough knowledgeable people haven't lobbied Dave for ballots. Oh well, at least we finally got Mark Lewin in while he's still alive to appreciate it.

That’s not the issue

The issue is the wrestlers who have ballots who are all THAT GUY HAD A COOL MASK ONCE!!!! and then fuck up the lucha percentage 

Well that and if Konnan hates you, you aren’t getting in

13 hours ago, Matt D said:

Lewin's kind of a tricky case as a fan looking backwards because so much of what we had from him (up until a few years ago) was from Florida in the 80s, when he was working the Haze gimmick. He had a presence in Sullivan's promos and probably scared the crap out of some kids in general, but considering he started wrestling in the 50s, he was obviously very limited in what he could or would do in the ring:

There are a few matches of him as the babyface vs the Sheik running around too, but a little of that goes a long way: 

With the unleashing of the Houston footage, we ended with a lot more 78-81 Lewin. The heel stuff with Gary Hart isn't pretty. By that point of his career, he was a fairly uncompelling chop-puncher for the most part (which in and of itself isn't damning, but you've got to find a way to make it work). There's one legitimately great match vs Terry Funk, but that's far more on Funk than on Lewin (it's out there on youtube, posted a month ago). His babyface turn on Gary Hart is not on Youtube, but it was awesome. I like him much more as a pissed off old man babyface against someone like Gino Hernandez, because that sort of chop-punch plodding offense works a lot better with someone stooging for it (the same is true with aged babyface Stan Stasiak in Portland), but most of that isn't online either (there's a match vs Gary Hart on dailymotion from that run though).

Lewin's feud with Kevin Sullivan in Georgia was pretty decent.

43 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

That’s not the issue

The issue is the wrestlers who have ballots who are all THAT GUY HAD A COOL MASK ONCE!!!! and then fuck up the lucha percentage 

Well that and if Konnan hates you, you aren’t getting in

Very good points, and it doesn't hurt to point out that Konnan is a hateful bastard with a long, long memory.

7 hours ago, Matt D said:

1.) Can people just make a pact not to talk about Russo? Let's just not do it.

There used to be this thing called a "word filter."  Twas a marvelous thing ...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Since the Wrestling Gold DVDs have come up a couple of times recently

It's not like Dave and Cornette couldn't just pop in some shows, record the audio of what they are watching and sell it.  Hell, Cornette's already doing that now for free.

FWIW, if you love the Wrestling Gold set, they did do a "sequel" of sorts with commentaries on some Smokey Mountain shows and OVW comps.

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Probably stop hoping for that. Dave doesn't go to bat for luchadores, they aren't getting in.

Maybe not as often as he could or should, but he sure did today listing off five or so luchadores that he thinks should be in. They spent a good five or so minutes talking about just that on today's WOR.

13 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

giphy.gif

It should be noted that the Cease and Desist shirt is the top seller - either as the overall BC shirt, or just from the Young Bucks centric ones. But the ones that sell the best are the original logo, Cody, Young Bucks and Omega’s.

That figure, not counting what the Japanese and US government take, and New Japan/Hot Topic... I’m not sure what the price of the shirts are, but that’s well into the $6-8 million range. Just from Hot Topic sales.

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Maybe not as often as he could or should, but he sure did today listing off five or so luchadores that he thinks should be in. They spent a good five or so minutes talking about just that on today's WOR.

Well I'll be damned.

----------------

Like I said, The Bucks have waterslide money

5 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

It's not like Dave and Cornette couldn't just pop in some shows, record the audio of what they are watching and sell it.  Hell, Cornette's already doing that now for free.

FWIW, if you love the Wrestling Gold set, they did do a "sequel" of sorts with commentaries on some Smokey Mountain shows and OVW comps.

In a follow up someone asked Dave if they would do they again if someone like Highspots would do it and Dave said he has a good relationship with them (Highspots) but that the problem is the WWE owns all the footage of any of the promotions they would do it with

• RIPPA locked, unfeatured and unpinned this topic