DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

That dude was both drinking and on coke for years, and Vic blinded him (unintentionally) in the Danbury Fall, then apparently bragged about it. I believe him when he said he tried to kill Vic. He's stabbed people for less! 

There is just a line with Jack that whatever he says combined with whatever he did, mean it probably isn't a work. And Vic *almost* didn't make it to those ropes, after all...

12 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Oh god I just remembered the Gypsy Joe beat down and the knife incident.

I bizarrely remember WWE / New Jack rumours around 02-03. That would have been next level bonkers if that was even 1% true.

I could see New Jack being one of those guys that you wouldn't expect Vince to randomly take a shine to but he would. I remember hearing that Vince really liked The Sandman when Sandy worked there and that's why he got a random post-ECW mini-push. He was the last guy Regal eliminated in the GM battle royal and IIRC, he was the last guy eliminated when they were trying to determine Vince's son. Could you imagine if they actually went that route instead of the stupid Hornswoggle thing? The SandMcMahon.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

That dude was both drinking and on coke for years, and Vic blinded him (unintentionally) in the Danbury Fall, then apparently bragged about it. I believe him when he said he tried to kill Vic. He's stabbed people for less! 

There is just a line with Jack that whatever he says combined with whatever he did, mean it probably isn't a work. And Vic *almost* didn't make it to those ropes, after all...

Agreed. I just watched that clip and while some of it is on Grimes for fucking up his jump, you can tell New Jack definitely isn't helping matters.

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

I could see New Jack being one of those guys that you wouldn't expect Vince to randomly take a shine to but he would. I remember hearing that Vince really liked The Sandman when Sandy worked there and that's why he got a random post-ECW mini-push. He was the last guy Regal eliminated in the GM battle royal and IIRC, he was the last guy eliminated when they were trying to determine Vince's son. Could you imagine if they actually went that route instead of the stupid Hornswoggle thing? The SandMcMahon.

I still wish they'd have gone full crazy and had The Sandman as GM in a tweed suit entering to the tune of "Make him the cutest, that I've ever seen."

2 hours ago, DeathyBoy said:

I still wish they'd have gone full crazy and had The Sandman as GM in a tweed suit entering to the tune of "Make him the cutest, that I've ever seen."

IIRC, Sandman actually was the last man standing in the battle royal but Regal had gone through the middle rope or something and came back and eliminated him. The fans popped when they thought Sandman won it b/c it was so unexpected. I was definitely down for GM Sandman. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Victator said:

There were reports at the time they were going to give Sandman a real push vs Cena before he quit/got fired. The story was he got into an argument with Ricky Steamboat on the road and that was the end of it. 

How the hell do you get into an argument with Ricky Steamboat?

• Haha 1

The Sandman was in really bad shape at the end of his WWE time.  I remember taking a train into Center City and it stopped near Penn's Hospital.  The Sandman got off and was walking on the platform.  His steps were barely one foot in front of the other, knees not bending, and wobbly ankles.  So bad that a person in a walker could make circles around him.  You could tell he was heading to the hospital from his condition.  The style took a heavy toll on his body.

Who'd have thought that drinking and smoking heavily, beating yourself in the head with a Singapore cane, going through tables and taking bumps on naked concrete (tm JR) would be hard on the body?

That being said, I've always heard that Sandman is one of those guys who was surprisingly frugal and good with his money over the years and is pretty well off. 

2 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

How the hell do you get into an argument with Ricky Steamboat?

I swear I remember reading it happened in Europe. Or I am confusing it with Don Muraco getting fired for getting into a fight with Nick Bockwinkel in 88. 

I think its probably less personal and more the wrestler/agent relationships being contentious. 

Sandman did a lot of real estate stuff during his heyday, from what I remember. 

Also, wasn’t there a bit during the son of McMahon angle, where Sandman was KO’d in the match right before and forgot to leave the ring? I feel like I remember seeing a shoot clip of him talking about forgetting to get out as the camera guys were telling him to. 

• Like 1

I remember the story with Sandman and Steamboat being something about Sandman getting on a plane with an unlit cigarette in his mouth and Steamboat saying "You should put that away." causing Sandman to get in Steamboat's face about how it wasn't even lit. A few days later Sandman got released.

As part of my 40th Birthday present , plus my wife wants to go to New Orleans,  we are heading down for Wrestlemania weekend.  Where is the best place to start looking for the Independent shows that are already announcing events and selling tickets and such?

8 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Who'd have thought that drinking and smoking heavily, beating yourself in the head with a Singapore cane, going through tables and taking bumps on naked concrete (tm JR) would be hard on the body?

That being said, I've always heard that Sandman is one of those guys who was surprisingly frugal and good with his money over the years and is pretty well off. 

Everyone but retired NFL players (who are apparently amazed to learn that the game may be detrimental to your long-term health).

• Like 1

I am just putting that as a reminder so this doesn't turn into a full blown show discussion here

In regards to Moe's spoiler - I am not surprised since they had been teasing it I am more surprised it isn't happening on a boat and also wondering how much money it took

There were some reports (again grain of salt there) that the match was originally going to take place on the Cruise

In general - if it had been kept in house (ie: NXT) there wouldn't be Ring of Honor/New Japan guys wrestling on it so you could argue that he would have never started working this angle. (Not that he really needs NJ connections but you get the point)

That being said - he could have easily sold this to Vince as I AM TRYING TO RECRUIT FOR YOU~!