DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

6 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I am not taking sides just pointing out that AJ to me looks more ripped and way more athletic than Punk.

Maybe, but Punk’s style of wrestling was more suited towards Brock’s at the time than AJ or Bálor is now in regards to how he works a match (or, rather, the repetition).

Oh, and Joe did get a good match out of Brock. But it was still just an extended squash match, same with Strowman. If they weren’t dead set on giving Reigns another moment next April, we’d probably be seeing more competitive matches since one person wasn’t destined to overthrow and dominate Brock. Then again, in an ideal WWE world, they’d be building Brock up for Strowman, who’s already over like a motherfucker and just needs that one thing to really launch him to the next level.

I can only hope Strowman will be the one to dethrone Reigns next year, but by then, he might be getting lukewarm reactions. His booking is spotty, but nowhere near people like Bayley or Finn Bálor, whom they’ve both fucked up royally in favor of others.

31 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Balor/Brock would be a blast. Just to see how far Finn flies.

The thing with Finn is people want to cheer him. I mean that Wyatt feud was death, but the second they paired him with AJ he went back to being super over.

Little Finn as the underdog vs Brock works. Demon King vs confused Brock while Heyman freaks out on the mic works. 

I’m just really salty that I likely won’t get to see CM Punk versus AJ or Bálor in a WWE ring. I much rather see that over a 15 minute extended squash match versus Brock.

Obviously I’m pretty much over Brock in WWE unless they decide to switch things up. If he renews his contract next summer, I hope he goes back to the competitive matches he was doing pre-SummerSlam 2014. It was cool at the time, but goddamn, 3 years later and his act is still the same.

• Like 1

Random question about blading:

Ok, you'd kept your blade stashed in your mouth/wrist tape/finger tape/wherever and you've now used to to make a little extra money. What now? How to you dispose of said item after the gig is gigged?

1 hour ago, Ramsey said:

Ok, you'd kept your blade stashed in your mouth/wrist tape/finger tape/wherever and you've now used to to make a little extra money. What now? How to you dispose of said item after the gig is gigged?

Do you mean what happens after the wrestler uses it? I'm pretty sure the referee usually picks it up. Which is kind of dangerous if you think about it, since a razorblade in your pocket isn't probably the smartest thing to do. But, hey - wrestling, yo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Casey said:

Do you mean what happens after the wrestler uses it? I'm pretty sure the referee usually picks it up. Which is kind of dangerous if you think about it, since a razorblade in your pocket isn't probably the smartest thing to do. But, hey - wrestling, yo.

Yeah, putting a razor blade in your pocket could be really dangerous.  Best to put it somewhere it can't possibly cause any harm,.  Like... I dunno....

1 hour ago, Ramsey said:

Ok, you'd kept your blade stashed in your mouth/wrist tape/finger tape/wherever....

Remember, safety first!

It's also just a small piece of the actual razor. I think it was a HHH match where he bladed when he was bleeding all the time in matches. He's outside the ring, gigs his forehead, and then he clearly just tosses the piece of blade to the mat. You could see a little silvery triangle thing on the mat in the camera shot. 

Craig nailed it.  You snip off a piece of the razorblade, wrap it up in tape, and hide it somewhere.  Some guys would put it in their mouth.  The few times I gigged, I had it either as part of my wrist tape (when wrestling) or just hanging in my pocket (while managing).  After usage, it was either given to the referee or discretely disposed of at ringside (under the ring, for instance).

The first time I gigged myself was back when I was the "NWA representative" in ECCW, and gigged off of a chain-assisted punch by Scotty Mac, and was subsequently Tombstoned by Sid Sylum.  Only problem was my jet black hair and I ended up on my back immediately afterward, so 99% of the blood either ended up in my hair and invisible, or on Sylum's pants from the Tombstone.  So I barely had anything, while Sylum looked like Aunt Flo had just visited. :)

I only gigged someone else once, and despite my admittance that I was inexperienced in doing so, he insisted on it anyway.

a) I ended up actually poking my OWN finger picking it out of my pocket and got the second-most juice on the show;
b) Remember, kids - a little bit goes a long way.  He, uh, definitely got juice..

I can already feel the stare of the ghost of Bill Watts on the back of my head and he's not even dead yet, so that's as far as I'm going. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

Just watched War Games '94. What a nifty little match. Robert Fuller is a national treasure. 

Now Youtubing November Rain/ECW hype videos over my coffee. 

Pro wrestling is good. 

As I close my podcast with every week, "watch lots of pro wrestling, it's the best thing ever."

Just booked an AirBnB  for New Orleans and bought PROGRESS tickets. Not entirely stoked to trek back and forth over the bridge to Kenner for the shows, but what can ya do? 

This is my 3rd 'mania but first since it blew up. How long do you guys usually wait before pulling the trigger on shows? Do a lot sell out? 

I'll be there Thursday - Monday and want to keep my wrestling intake reasonably manageable.  Wasn't sure if there was a thread up yet about this stuff.  

Edit: I guess my main questions is how the fuck do you decide between ROH or NXT? 

3 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

I just bought ROH tickets. The show was a blast last year. Plus Kenny Omega.

Yeah, that's honestly a huge pull. And, I mean...I've never been to an ROH show and I'm not one to fly around for this stuff. New Orleans is three hours from me so this is probably my first and last huge wrestling weekend blowout. 

I bought PROGRESS for both days, am definitely doing 'mania (I know, I know..but...fuck it) and have to decide between ROH/NXT. Other than that need to break down the most convenient schedule. I don't want to commute back and forth all day between the WWN shows and where I'm staying on Frenchmen, and especially would like to be in the city at night. I *think* I'll do a 4 pm Evolve show. Other than that, I guess I'm gonna wait and see what the cards are...