DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

33 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

If Tony came back today he'd instantly be the top announcer on either brand by far. 

I think this could work but with one rule.

1) The only things he is allowed to know/learn about the current storylines and characters is what Booker T is able to explain to him.

Boom. GOld.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

I really want back the five minutes I just spent listening to Meltzer and Alvarez discuss the HBK-Gargano "Ab Off" in NXT.  Never really thought I'd hear Meltzer go on about a guys abs like that.  I'm assuming they didn't realize how creepy the segment sounded, particularly when they turned their attention to Tino Sabbatelli's abs.  After that segment, I was kinda picturing a drunken Meltzer inviting Sabatelli up to his (Dave's) room.  

If you were surprised Dave spent that much time talking about abs, you clearly haven't listened to Dave much

• Like 4

I watched this a week or so back. Very well worked match but I found Tony and Jesse did a great job getting everything over. It looked like Scott Steiner was on the verge of turning heel. Which would have been something in 1992. Wondering why Watts put the TV title on him when he had not signed a new contract. 

Anyway Tony and Jesse were great here. They got over both wrestlers, the match and the story of Scott Steiner becoming a heel without going over the top. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, saveholmes said:

A match presumed lost forever has surfaced on YouTube!

I had to skip through that even though it was already clipped. Ric was probably like "goddammit Roddy, here's another Rufus R. Jones. Let's get this shit over with and they can mail us the belt. Don't forget the rum, and do you still have any of that coke they gave you last time? *hearty laughter*"

3 hours ago, Victator said:

I watched this a week or so back. Very well worked match but I found Tony and Jesse did a great job getting everything over. It looked like Scott Steiner was on the verge of turning heel. Which would have been something in 1992. Wondering why Watts put the TV title on him when he had not signed a new contract. 

Anyway Tony and Jesse were great here. They got over both wrestlers, the match and the story of Scott Steiner becoming a heel without going over the top. 

IIRC, that *was* the plan - they were subtly trying to turn Scott heel while Rick was injured, and instead, they both ended up leaving for the WWF because they hated the Watts contracts with the 90-day review periods.  

As a young mark, I loved early 90s Scott Steiner and was thrilled to see him finally win a major singles championship, but it obviously didn't last long.  Steiners vs. Heavenly Bodies at SummerSlam the next year more than made up for it, though.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Hmmm then who is Rusev facing for the SDL team spot?

It could still be AJ if they just delay the match a week

That being said AJ winning the title and facing Brock at Survivor Series (and then him losing to Jinder in India) would make SS a lot more interesting

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

It could still be AJ if they just delay the match a week

That being said AJ winning the title and facing Brock at Survivor Series (and then him losing to Jinder in India) would make SS a lot more interesting

It would certainly generate more interest for the show. I would renew my Network sub after my trial ends for it. I'm not doing it to see Brock beat a job guy and his waiter buddies. 

• Like 1

Yeah, let's not kid ourselves here. If AJ versus Brock happened, there's nothing to suggest it wouldn't either be a squash match in Brock's favor or just a 10-15 minute suplex fest. 

EDIT: It's also weird to me that people don't see a problem with AJ/Brock, but have a problem with Balor/Brock or had issues with Brock/Punk. They're all pretty much the same size.

• Like 2

I'd like to hold out more optimism that AJ could drag 2017 Magilla Gorilla to the best match than he's had all year.

But then, I thought Joe would do it.

Then, I thought Braun would do it.

Yikes ... with the WWE's penchant for petty booking, what if they have Brock hold the title long enough to break Punk's streak?

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I am not taking sides just pointing out that AJ to me looks more ripped and way more athletic than Punk.

That's because he is. 

Also Joe/Brock was good. Just because it was not a long match doesn't change that. Actually I think this has been Brock's best year in a while. Faint praise but I think Goldberg/Brock was the best match at Mania. Not long but laid out well. 

I was so disappointed in Braun losing I have not had the heart to rewatch it,