DVDVR Message Board

UFC 217: Bisping vs. St-Pierre (11/4/2017) - New York, NY (Madison Square Garden)

Elsalvajeloco

I'm such a mark for GSP, that I wanted it to be like this, but I really didn't believe it would happen.

Great fucking show. Best I've seen start to finish. Everything was just unbelievable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jaedmc said:

Would be interesting to see him do another fight at this weight just to see how much of the slowdown was the weight and how much was not fighting for 4 years.

I think it was a combo of factors. He came out guns ablazing and getting those takedowns against heavier guy filled his arms full of lactic acid. I think he did a good job just trying catch his breath and get his wind back while in Bisping's guard. Plus, I think Bisping caught him off guard by putting him on the back foot in the second round. I think both guys were digging into the reserves by the time GSP got that knockdown. Georges said Mike stunned him a few times. So I mean just being exhausted makes those punches hurt a little more.

Against Whittaker or Woodley, he might have to fight at a less frantic pace because he needs to be able to mix it up. If his arms turn into jelly against either, that won't result in good things for him.

Not sure if GSP can last with guys like Whitaker after he was really gassed in the 3rd round but it will be a fun ride.   Hard to be a Diaz/Cormier wanna be with your mouth when you are getting choked the fuck out.    

Think Rockhold is the other guy who is having his foot surgically removed from his mouth?   He was really sure that Bisping would take care of him and then eventually get the title back.   Not sure he can beat a GSP especially if he is just as arrogant as he was losing the title in the first place

Meltzer talks about lack of upcoming stars, but I think her being so different and real is something super likeable for Rose and this could be the launching pad. I hope she can retain the title for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

So when one of the best fighters of all time fights someone I've never thought was one of the top fighters in his division, despite being the champion, the guy who is one of the best fighters of all time wins.  I really didn't know what was going to happen in this match, but the thing that kept coming up in my mind is, Bisping has never really been that good.  He landed a good shot on Rockhold in a fight he wasn't even supposed to be in, and we're acting like he is a much higher caliber fighter than he's ever shown himself to be.  To paraphrase Dennis Green, "He is who I thought he was."  Michael Bisping is a very good fighter who has never been great.  Georges St. Pierre has been elite his entire career.  We should have seen this coming.  Michael Bisping spent his entire career losing every big fight he had until he landed a lucky shot on Luke Rockhold.  If he didn't land that punch, none of us would have believed he could be GSP.  

Can we just rebook the Garbrant vs. Dillashaw fight and let them do that again?  I'm sure it will happen soon enough, but I want to see those dudes fight again now.  I think the next fight will be even better because they both have to realize that getting punched square in the face by the other can lead to an early exit.  

I always root for Thug Rose, because she seems like a total sweetheart of a person.  With that said, I thought Joanna was going to smash her face into tiny little pieces.  I'm glad she didn't.

37 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Meltzer talks about lack of upcoming stars, but I think her being so different and real is something super likeable for Rose and this could be the launching pad. I hope she can retain the title for the foreseeable future.

Well, they made the push for her against Carla and it was already expected she was probably gonna be a much better fighter months after the show. I think they really lucked out because Rose vs. Joanna on that Dallas show after that season of TUF would prevented this fight from occurring two years later. Carla being the transitional champ set up this fight ultimately. I can also see the 125 pound champ being already set up as a transitional champ. Hard to not see the winner of this current season being used as a pawn to get to Joanna vs. Valentina, PVZ vs. somebody, Jojo vs. somebody, or even Claudinha moving up.

Tough break for Joanna, but maybe she got overwhelmed by the idea of going up to 125. Either that or she was extremely surprised by how composed Rose was from the outset.

17 minutes ago, ka-to said:

Best $106 I ever spent!

Maybe they lower the prices more to fit the demand next year (if they don't have a third straight big main event), but you should probably wait until fight week again. That's your best bet.

I think Supremebve is short changing not only Bisping but GSP a little there. Taking into account GSP's 4 year layoff, going up a weight class and clearly gassing in the second round to finish a highly regarded middleweight so cleanly is no mean feat. You can't deny Bisping anymore, he won 5 straight fights, he earned his calling as champion. GSP looked incredible in there all things considered. GSP doesn't finish fights but he finished this one in spectacular fashion.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2017 at 12:18 PM, J.T. said:

Rockhold getting KTFOed reminds me what Angry Bisping is like when he wants to make a statement and we already know from the Serra fight that GSP's chin is somewhat suspect and he hasn't been in the octagon in about four years.

The conspiracy theorist in me is beginning to suspect that the eye injury that kept GSP from fighting at UFC 213 was a work since now they are marketing that GSP's fight this weekend will be exactly 50 PPV's since his last fight. 

Sports loves meaningless stats.

Also:

Garry Tonon believes Georges St-Pierre can become the second man to submit Michael Bisping.

:rolleyes:

GSP's last submission victory was scored nearly a decade ago.  After this big of a layoff, GSP will most likely stick to what has worked since then and be all about the takedowns and Ground / Pound.

What a great card!  Really happy for Rose and TJ.

I felt really stupid at the conclusion of the GSP / Bisping fight  Not only do I feel that I owe Garry Tonon an apology, I think it should come with some sort of gift.

Do you think he'd appreciate a Turducken and a case of Flying Dog IPA?

5 hours ago, Rick said:

I think Supremebve is short changing not only Bisping but GSP a little there. Taking into account GSP's 4 year layoff, going up a weight class and clearly gassing in the second round to finish a highly regarded middleweight so cleanly is no mean feat. You can't deny Bisping anymore, he won 5 straight fights, he earned his calling as champion. GSP looked incredible in there all things considered. GSP doesn't finish fights but he finished this one in spectacular fashion.

I think supremebve is pretty much spot on. I also fell into the trap of thinking Bisping would win (with the weight class difference, I thought he'd just overpower gsp, especially given the 4 year gap), but you're taking a GOAT candidate and facing them up against -- as supremebve pointed out -- a solid but unspectacular middleweight.

I was at the Bisping / silva fight, which Bisping was very lucky to get out of, which would have ended the Bisping train right there. The Rockhold knockout was impressive, but otherwise he has been 'meh'. Really happy he got to be champion as he comes across as a terrific worker who toiled through every step of his career, but he was absolutely leading a charmed life as champion (perhaps unprecedentedly so).

Wonder if Garbrandt just got a little too cocky there -  especially after landing the knockdown. Also wonder how much the injuries have taken out of him. Back surgery is no joke.

I always find these things interesting, I re-watched it and noticed Buffer confirming with McCarthy right before calling the decision what Rose won by (I couldn't read Buffer's lips, but McCarthy said "knock out"). And McCarthy had tapped Rose on the back before Joanna tapped, so I think he was going to stop the fight then regardless. Her tap was really discreet, unless she also did a verbal tap that only McCarthy and Rose heard, I think Rose more stopped because McCarthy tapped her back moreso than noticing Joanna's tap like Rogan had speculated.

While I hope Rose wins a few more with the title, I think with her attitude and style she can be a star even if she isn't a super dominating one. The re-match is going to be huge.

Yeah when they showed the replay it looked clearly like the fight was getting stopped before she even tapped the mat once. I don't think McCarthy could even see it from his angle, but I may be mis-remembering.  Regardless she was cooked.

I'm still buzzing from this show. 

To think that the very first fight ended with a spinning back elbow KO and shit only got crazier from there.