DVDVR Message Board

Pirata Morgan vs. Ken Timbs (12/8/89)

Phil Schneider

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the listings beforehand this was the one match on the set I was dreading so I decided to get it over with. I would recommend that you don't leave it until #99 either.

I'd seen Fabuloso Blondy on the 1990 Yearbook and he tilted the hell out of me. A talentless worker with an annoying heel shtick. As great as Morgan was he was faced with an impossible task here. Having a lengthy traditional title match against an opponant who couldn't work the style and had a 1 out of 10 moveset. Given my expectations I can't say I was disappointed. It was slow, basic and really boring, like watching paint dry. It's always galling seeing such anti-meritocratic booking but other than that it wasn't worse than poor level. Will rank somewhere in the 90's.

• 2 months later...

Hello #100.  This is pretty long and pretty dull.  Blondy doesn't bring much to the table here.  The beginning is sort of interesting in that it really looks like Morgan trying to work the mat with a broomstrick and he seems to almost be guiding every one of Blondy's movements.  Seems like a lot of striking in this for a title match.  They try to have their run of big moves at counters for the third fall but it doesn't work out for them and they flub a couple spots pretty badly.  Morgan does a couple cool things I guess, but overall this isn't an interesting match at all.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if Timbs is horrible or not. I mean, he didn't stand out to me in any way in his other appearance on the set. He was just the sixth guy in a trios match where he wasn't the focus. Here he is in a singles match where he is the focus but it's a lucha title match which was obviously outside of his comfort zone. I have to give Pirata Morgan a lot of credit. He worked really hard to try and lead Timbs on the mat. The real problem is: who decided these guys needed to work a title match this long? This is one of the longer singles matches on this set and it is obviously a one man show. There were other shorter title matches on this set. Why couldn't this be the same length as those? As it stands this ends up being the most boring match on the set and a pretty good number 100 pick.

• 1 month later...

This is like someone spliced Pirata Morgan into a mid-late Global main event. Don't tell me Blondy doesn't fit right in with the likes of the Davis Brothers or Hollywood John Tatum. Morgan would have had a better match with Raven or even Buff Bagwell. I had more fun writing this than I did watching the match. 

• 11 months later...

I am not going to rank this below Jerry Estrada being a fucking zombie, no way. I have no idea who Ken Timbs' second is in this match but I really liked that little bastard, other than him kind of no selling getting hit by Morgan's dive. This is a bottom 10 match but not awful because I liked the stuff the seconds were doing and liked Morgan continually trying to go into Timbs' knee pad and get the "foreign object." This will also not finish #100 simply for the novelty of seeing the foreign heel come out with his flag and singing his national anthem be an American.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought Timbs singing voice was pretty good for a heel national anthem-singing wrestler.  Timbs seemed to be the Larry Z. of Mexico in the first fall with his quite vocal selling and stalling by jumping out of the ring.  I also thought Timbs's second was added to the match.  The ending was a surprise.  The hair-pulling schtick and the knee-pad controversy was novel for a Lucha match.  The ending has awkward moments, like when Timbs is kind of dropkicked into the ref twice in a row, and the ref kind of no-sells it.  Timbs's bag of tricks is pretty limited, and I agree that this match will settle toward the bottom of the 100 matches.