DVDVR Message Board

Sexual Assault and Harassment in Hollywood

John from Cincinnati

The Aziz story mostly makes me feel embarrassed for him.  He come across like the classic sketch comedy twerp (that he is) who got money and now wants to fuck like his rapper friends but can't pull it off.   His credibility in that social circle just took a major hit.

If nothing else, he'll lose some party invites because of this, and, honestly, that may cut him the deepest.

I don't believe the Aziz story one bit. Read it again. Actually, just go to babe.net. Look at the article titles. It's fucking ridiculous. Then go look at their about page...

Babe is for girls who don't give a fuck

babe is into good news reporting, trash trends, personal stories, industry-leading analysis of fuckboys and the pettiest celebrity drama.

Ok, now read that Aziz article again. So two things. This is all entirely bullshit. There's way too much of a narrative and it's way too opportunistic coming at the same time as this awards season. If this girl did go on a date with Aziz then this telling of it is highly sensationalized, but kept truthful so she can't get sued or something. Multiple times she says that nothing was forced on her, Aziz asks if she's ok, she gives him consent, but then after everything she felt scummy about it. Unfortunately, courting and sexual experiences can be uncomfortable and even bad. Someone can consent and then regret it afterwards. That's fine and totally normal. What isn't fine is turning that into an allegation of harassment. 

I'm still leaning on this being bullshit. Her "proof" is 2 pictures and a text message screen shot. The first picture could have been taken by anybody. The second picture is of a vaguely brown guy and of food. That's it? Your story talks about taking pictures and all you have are these two pictures? And then there's the text message screen shot. Literally anyone can rename any contact to whatever they want. Not only that, but the tone for "Aziz's" texts are the same as this girls. They're incredibly similar, almost like the same person typed out each.

Maybe it's real, stranger things have happened, but there's WAY too much that points to this being bullshit. The website, the sensational way the story is told, the "proof," etc.

• Like 3

Also, real quick regarding consent. Yes, consent can be given and the experience can still be awful. My thought is half of what this girl described didn't happen on this date if the date even happened. And if it did, it's fucked up. Just the way it's all described though, where she even has a name for the move he tried on her, the claw, and she goes into detail about watching Seinfeld, makes the whole thing sound like fiction. 

And the sad thing is, I don't know if I want this to be fake because that means it's just open season where you can just accuse anyone of whatever you want, or if it's real and it's another awful case of someone in power being gross.

Yeah, that's the other part of it. You're going to give THIS detailed of a tell all, but there's no name to go with it? The only way this person can be identified is that she's a photographer, but that's another strike. Look at how shitty these pictures are and the only proof she wants to present out of multiple pictures taken are those two? What kind of photographer is this?

Or, again, the whole thing is doctored.

• Like 1

Even if we assume all this is true, what happened here?  She consented to taking their clothes off.  She consented to oral sex, going both ways, on multiple occasions.  She consented to hanging out at his apartment naked for, apparently, hours.  When she did pump the brakes on intercourse, it was always couched in terms of the timing not being right.  It was "let's slow down" and "gimme a sec" and "not now."  I don't think the guy could be faulted for thinking the woman lounging around his place in the nude was eventually going to be up for sex if he kept expressing interest.  He was definitely overly pushy about it, and the deal with cramming his fingers in her mouth is icky and bizarre, but at no point does he force himself on her or threaten her or try to stop her from leaving.  In fact, when she's finally had enough, he offers to get her a car.   Arguably the worst thing he makes her do is watch an episode of Seinfeld.

This was a bad sexual encounter, but it was not an assault of any kind.  He's not a predator, and she's not a victim.  They're just two people who each made bad choices, as we are wont to do, and things went badly.   Once upon a time, you chalked it up to experience and made better choices in the future.  Now, it's headline news if you can find a website to publish it (spoiler: you can).

I do think this story raises interesting questions about how our traditional gender roles in courtship can lead to this sort of bad encounter, though.  The standard trope is that the women withhold and it's up to the man to doggedly pursue them, even if they seem to be feigning disinterest or putting them off.  That gets highly problematic when it carries over into sex, though, and can lead to men who would generally be considered "nice guys" fucking up and making bad choices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ryan said:

We're underestimating the journalistic integrity of babe.net as usual.

From what I'm gathering (especially from the mention of "fuckboys") is that this Aziz story would be the equivalent of someone I know getting their news stories from MediaTakeout or Bossip. Got it.

• Like 1

One of the more annoying things with the Aziz story is that multiple reputable publications have reported on the babe.net story and not one fucking one questioned the validity of it.

Hey motherfuckers, it is ok to still question whether this shit is legit or not. 

At this point, every person ever is going to be accused of harassment or assault.

I once drunkenly hooked up with a girl that was a friend of an ex girlfriend. I felt really awkward, embarrassed, and confused about it afterward. What recourse do I have? Will I lose my job? Or am I safe because I'm not an entertainer?

• Like 1