DVDVR Message Board

UFC 216: Ferguson vs. Lee (10/6/2017) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_216_Ferguson_vs._Lee_Poster.jpg?1505

UFC 216: Ferguson vs. Lee 
October 6, 2017
Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Interim UFC Lightweight Championship: Tony Ferguson (155) vs. Kevin Lee (154.5) - Ferguson, SUB (triangle choke), R3 (4:02)
UFC Flyweight Championship: Demetrious Johnson © (125) vs. Ray Borg (124) (eleventh defense) - Johnson, SUB (armbar), R5 (3:15)
Fabrício Werdum (247) vs. Walt Harris (251) - Werdum, SUB (armbar), R1 (1:05)
Mara Romero Borella (126) vs. Kalindra Faria (125) - Borella, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (2:54)
Beneil Dariush (156) vs. Evan Dunham (156) - DRAW (majority)

FX Preliminary Card:
Tom Duquesnoy (135.5) vs. Cody Stamann (136) - Stamann, DEC (split)
Bobby Green (155) vs. Landon Vannata (156) - DRAW (split)
Pearl Gonzalez (116) vs. Poliana Botelho (115) - Botelho, DEC (unanimous)
Matt Schnell (126) vs. Marco Beltrán (126) - Schnell, DEC (unanimous)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
John Moraga (126) vs. Magomed Bibulatov (126) - Moraga, KO (punches), R1 (1:38)
Thales Leites (185.5) vs. Brad Tavares (185.5) - Tavares, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: John Moraga
Performance of the Night: Demetrious Johnson
Fight of the Night: Bobby Green vs. Landon Vannata

Attendance: 10,638
Gate: $678,000
Buyrate: 120,000

Cancelled Fights:
Abel Trujillo vs. Landon Vannata - Injury to Trujillo
Paige VanZant vs. Jessica Eye - Injury to VanZant (Back)
Andrea Lee vs. Kalindra Faria - Lee Not Yet in USADA Testing Pool
Will Brooks vs. Nik Lentz - Lentz Removed Due to Medical Issues
Fabrício Werdum vs. Derrick Lewis - Injury to Lewis (Back)
Walt Harris vs. Mark Godbeer - Harris Moved to the Main Card

I'm sorta glad they kept Kalindra Faria on the main card. She always seemed to be just a step above the competition in Brazil. However, I don't she think is the class of some of the top 115ers or 125ers. So it's a catch 22 for someone like her. She is better than 90 percent of the female fighters she will fight on the regional circuit, but she is not gonna beat a Karolina Kowalkiewicz. If she is going to fight tougher competition, it might as well be on the biggest stage where she isn't just some random showcase opponent. I mean she was gonna be one for Andrea Lee, but it would have been a compelling fight nonetheless. When you're dealing with some of the fights that should be interesting on paper outside the UFC,  you get people not being in shape or not making weight by several pounds. I mean Invicta is the top organization for women with the most consistent fights for them, and they have that problem on damn near every card.  So if I have to watch a Kalindra Faria who has already proven she has real fighting talent but below a certain level, I want to see them against other legit fighters where the stakes might matter and we get to truly assess where they are. Plus, there is only so many times she can fight Carina Damm.

Ferguson will finally get his shot at a belt after multiple failed attempts to sort things out with Khabib Nurmagomedov.

Standing in Ferguson’s way is Lee, one of the brighter standouts the weight class has to offer. Despite not yet reaching his prime, Lee feels he is right on track with destiny by fighting for a title at just 25.