DVDVR Message Board

A Rick & Morty Thread

RIPPA

On 09/10/2017 at 4:37 AM, (BP) said:

Hopefully there's another two years between seasons for the heat on the gross fandom to die down. 

Won't that make them even worse?!

I can barely remember anything about this season outside of the brilliant Rickopolis episode so I'm gonna say it kinda sucked. I popped big time for Mr Poopy Butthole's passive aggressive monologue to the fans at the end though OOO-WEEEE!

• 5 months later...

So Dan Harmon confirmed yesterday that Season 4 isn't being worked on because...  Adult Swim hasn't ordered it yet.

So, now since that's the bad news, here's a Run The Jewels videos starring Rick & Morty:

1) I am way more okay with the idea of the series ending than I would have thought. I love what we've gotten, but I won't be angry if we don't get more.

2) I need to seek out the rest of Run the Jewels; I never did before because they were the act that every white person I know who kind of listens to hip hop but not really said I had to check out, ensuring that spite would keep me from giving them the time of day.  But now I had to actually hear and like one of their songs, dammit.

I was talking about this with a friend and he wondered if maybe Adult Swim got cold feet over Harmon's obvious issues. I hadn't thought of that before, but if I'm an exec and thinking about handing over millions of dollars, I'm going to be skittish about handing it over to an alcoholic.

Alcoholism is hardly the greatest of vices in the creative world.  And judging from the borderline mainstream success of R&M, I'm guessing Harmon and Roiland are looking for a significant payday.   Which may be money AS just doesn't have to spend.  

It's weird. Harmon was talking about finally being a millionaire from the new production deal after sinking all of his money into opening his animation studio, and that was when season three was still airing. I don't think it has anything to do with him personally, but maybe Adult Swim wanted some more guarantees in place about deadlines after last season's production was so fraught. 

They also aired "Too Many Cooks," which while funny, is still what I think of the most when I think of AS. They're the channel that just puts up whatever the fuck without any rhyme or reason. So yeah, who knows what goes on in their heads.

Adult Swim are very random and always have been about what they greenlight and when stuff shows up on the air again. It's a very oddly ran segment of the network.

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:32 AM, Craig H said:

I was talking about this with a friend and he wondered if maybe Adult Swim got cold feet over Harmon's obvious issues. I hadn't thought of that before, but if I'm an exec and thinking about handing over millions of dollars, I'm going to be skittish about handing it over to an alcoholic.

Well, yeah, but do you think Harmon is the only alcoholic creator/star in Hollywood.  I kinda think there'd be a lot fewer shows on the air if networks only worked with "stable" creative types.

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:45 AM, (BP) said:

....but maybe Adult Swim wanted some more guarantees in place about deadlines after last season's production was so fraught. 

I find this idea humorous given Venture Bros. 

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:09 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

....I'm guessing Harmon and Roiland are looking for a significant payday.   Which may be money AS just doesn't have to spend.  

This is my guess.  Years ago, I got the impression the network was kinda run on a shoestring.  Not sure what it's finances are like now, though.

Sigh.  We probably won't get another season of Rick and Morty, but will get six more seasons of Mr. Pickles.  Though, that's kinda unfair to Mr. Pickles.  I tend to dislike practically all the Sunday night Williams Street 15 min shows these days.  

Yeah, it was some sort of Rick & Morty parody (parodies?) done by someone else.  Looked horrid.  I didn't watch.  Assume it was part of Adult Swim's April Fool's dealie.  They did something similar during the Toonami block on Saturday.

I'm old enough to remember when I actually liked Williams Street.  Now I just automatically change the channel.

• 1 month later...

From this announcement, I'm not sure if this is them saying they got picked up for Seasons 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8  OR if they're going to pull a Steven Universe and just toss them out in chunks at completely random times with little rhyme or reason. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...