DVDVR Message Board

A Rick & Morty Thread

RIPPA

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Y'all probably should have had this earlier

Yep.  Considering tonight might be the last new ep we get for two years, this thread will be lucky to see page 2.  I'm assuming that when the new season starts in 2019, we'll have forgotten this thread exists and either talk about the show in the  monthly tv thread or create a new Rick and Morty thread.

• Like 1

From the interviews I've read with harmon recently, S4 was in the writing process before the S3 premiere so hopefully the wait isn't nearly as long. Pat of me would like to beleive that the first few episodes are already being animated... but then again part of me keeps hoping that Pushing Daisies is coming back

James

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I recommended this, BoJack and Crazy Ex to my brother all at the same time when he was looking for shows.  His eventual response was "Do you watch ANY comedies that aren't about depression?"

Rick seems fairly content with what he is.

The issue with this current season seemed to be more about the animation than the writing. The animators at Starburns just unionized and threatened a strike. Their demands were very reasonable and were met, but I don't know how that'll affect things going forward. I'm sure Harmon and Roiland are anxious to get a faster turnaround going. The season four deal sounds like it's the one that's going to finally make them serious money from the show, and I'm sure their counting on having enough episodes to make a major syndication deal in the near future. 

The season finale in a way was exactly what it should have been for this season. Nothing earth-shattering from a story perspective, just the deconstructing of the show itself to its inevitable conclusion of blatantly knowing it's a show and mocking the audience and itself. Definitely how Harmon writes if you know his history. People will whine about the lack of (Insert any plot point here), but that's exactly how I expected the ending of this season to go. Back to the way things were in a way while not being sure if it really is. Also, at least the Lincoln Slave Colosseum is no longer active.

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

The issue with this current season seemed to be more about the animation than the writing. The animators at Starburns just unionized and threatened a strike. Their demands were very reasonable and were met, but I don't know how that'll affect things going forward. I'm sure Harmon and Roiland are anxious to get a faster turnaround going. The season four deal sounds like it's the one that's going to finally make them serious money from the show, and I'm sure their counting on having enough episodes to make a major syndication deal in the near future. 

Roiland getting upset with the union despite the union following all the normal procedures and timelines didn't put him in the best of light. It came off like he lied about them not giving proper notice and made it sound like the union agitated the workers to strike rather than the other way around when the union states the whole thing started when animators came to them. Oh and the deadline that may or may not have existed. Seemed very childish, but he strikes me as a very strange dude.

Fun episode to cap what I thought was the best season yet of my favourite show on TV. I'm not so annoyed by the long turnaround between shows. If that's what it takes for them to make quality episodes, then that's what it takes. Gone are the days of churning out 28+ episodes a year with a lot of them being rushed and ill conceived. Was Venture Bros. the first show to take relatively forever between seasons?

5 hours ago, Ryan said:

Venture Bros. is more because they have no budget and do everything themselves and are perfectionists.

They need to learn how to delegate. Being that slow is awful for a show that relies so much on continuity. 

With Rick and Morty they rely a lot more on gaga that work in a vacuum. 

I laughed the whole time during the episode. The president is pretty cut. 

I thought finale was pretty good except for bringing Jerry back. For all the talk of how Rick is a bad person(and he is), Jerry is still, by a mile the worst character on the show. He's a whiny, toxic mess of a human being who brings nothing to the table. Rick is a narcissist trouble maker who leaves chaos in his wake, but he's still a better person than Jerry,  a walking pile of human excrement. Kind of baffled why they would spend a whole season taking a dump on Jerry, just to magically press the reset button, unless they are trolling us, which is probably the case.

I'm assuming the bloom will be off the rose, so to speak, five minutes into the first episode of season 4, and Beth and Jerry will be back to the unhappy mess they were in season 1.  I agree about Jerry, but... he's a fictional character.  My main problem with him being a mess is that the joke got played out in the first two seasons.

Season finale wasn't outstanding, but it was fun and had some good gags.  Glad they didn't leave us with a cliffhanger.  Rick and Morty isn't the sort of show that needs a cliffhanger every season.

Jerry coming back was the only way to really end things with the way they were going. He's a loser, but he's the only semi-normal of the bunch and anchors them, so it is the antithesis of what Rick is, which is not a bad thing. Rick's a monster.

• Like 4

I feel like Beth was fairly normal before last week's episode, and Summer seems mostly normal.

Last week's Beth-centric episode seemed really out of left field to me.  Had they made Beth out to be a really smart sociopath before that and I don't remember?  Prior to last week, I remember Beth as a short fuse with an unhappy marriage who is a kinda bad mother.  Beth murdering cats and trying to kill the kid she took into the pocket universe seemed like something they pulled out of thin air.

The first show to take relatively forever between seasons was Ren and Stimpy.

The ending was kind of a cliffhanger - it wasn't "holy shit, I have to see what happens next," but more "oh snap, what is Rick gonna do about this?" His machinations basically led Beth and Jerry to get back together. Jerry (and himself) defeated Rick. Not good for Rick's out of control ego.

Show's been trying to paint Beth and Summer as a lot more like Rick and Morty as a lot more like Jerry. Morty's starting to gain some backbone and become his own person, though. Part of making Beth out to be truly Rick's daughter is adding a sociopathic streak.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I feel like Beth was fairly normal before last week's episode, and Summer seems mostly normal.

Last week's Beth-centric episode seemed really out of left field to me.  Had they made Beth out to be a really smart sociopath before that and I don't remember?  Prior to last week, I remember Beth as a short fuse with an unhappy marriage who is a kinda bad mother.  Beth murdering cats and trying to kill the kid she took into the pocket universe seemed like something they pulled out of thin air.

It was only somewhat out of left field. In reality they have hinted for a while that Beth was like Rick, and as much as she wanted his attention, the idea that she might be just like him also scared the shit out of her the older she got. To some extent its the reason she ended up with Jerry in the first place. The idea that a young Beth was practically a sociopath acting out for Rick's attention actually makes sense.

• Like 2

I feel like Beth's underlying issues have been simmering since "Rixty Minutes" but backburnered for so long we kind of forgot them.  It's been impossible to pretend she's "okay" since S1, but she hasn't had enough focus time to really expand on it til now.

• Like 2

I assume as a giant gag, Season 4 will all be a flashback to Mr. Poopy Butthole's life during season 3 that we missed out on. Literally no referencing of anything else going on except for end of credit scenes of the mighty war being fought with Evil Morty. Season 5 will reset and focus on a different Rick and Morty and ignore the ones we know. This is Dan Harmon, these things are plausible.

• Like 3

I thought a lot of the ending was to humble Rick. He clearly defeated the United States only to lose the family to someone like Jerry. If the president had defeated him, Rick could live with that. But there is no dignity in losing to Jerry.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I feel like Beth's underlying issues have been simmering since "Rixty Minutes" but backburnered for so long we kind of forgot them.  It's been impossible to pretend she's "okay" since S1, but she hasn't had enough focus time to really expand on it til now.

I was just going to post about this. We're doing a rewatch of it and yeah, they've been building up to Beth's issues since either Rixty Minutes or the first interdimensional tv episode. As for the Beth and Jerry storyline, this feels like the conclusion to something that started back with interdimensional tv. They were always going to wind up back together because they're both familiar with each other's brand of crazy.

8 hours ago, Ryan said:

I assume as a giant gag, Season 4 will all be a flashback to Mr. Poopy Butthole's life during season 3 that we missed out on. Literally no referencing of anything else going on except for end of credit scenes of the mighty war being fought with Evil Morty. Season 5 will reset and focus on a different Rick and Morty and ignore the ones we know. This is Dan Harmon, these things are plausible.

I'm going to need you to roll a 20 sided die to do a perception check.

• Like 3