DVDVR Message Board

OCT 2017 WRESTLING JIBBER JABBER

RIPPA

50 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

How long before people pull a Cody Rhodes with Emma and claim she's some wasted great talent who will now go to the indies where her talent can REALLY shine then proceeds to wrestle nothing but mediocre to slightly above averages everywhere? 

The Evil Emma run in NXT was better than anything Cody has ever done, so...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, EVA said:

The Evil Emma run in NXT was better than anything Cody has ever done, so...

Cody's run teaming with Goldust before becoming Stardust was pretty great; especially the tag title match in late 2013 against The Shield. I believe we also got a fired up promo from Dustin, Cody, and Dusty out of it.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

How long before people pull a Cody Rhodes with Emma and claim she's some wasted great talent who will now go to the indies where her talent can REALLY shine then proceeds to wrestle nothing but mediocre to slightly above averages everywhere? 

Emma when allowed to shine is in the top tier of wwe performers. She's always worth watching. I'll let myself out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Cody's run teaming with Goldust before becoming Stardust was pretty great; especially the tag title match in late 2013 against The Shield. I believe we also got a fired up promo from Dustin, Cody, and Dusty out of it.

That was good stuff, but I feel like most of the credit for that goes to Goldust for doing Goldust things.

Doesn't Rusev just troll people on twitter now? He's fucking around. I've been thinking about Rusev's in-ring work lately in that he doesn't have a great deal of high end matches but he works to both his character and the situation so well. He's such a throwback in that he doesn't just go out there and throw out a bunch of moves and hope to have the best match on the card every night. He works his ass off to make the babyface look like gold and tell a logical story. Out of the entire WWE roster, I feel like Rusev is the one guy that would fit like a glove with the '80s/territorial style of wrestling. Bray is similar to a much lesser extent. Excellent character work in the ring but he's not nearly as engaging or consistent as Rusev, nor does he do the small things in terms of selling and timing that Ru Ru does. I think it's possible to maintain most if not all of the character work and still put on more exciting matches though. Seeing Rusev in New Japan would be interesting because he could keep the character work that's more in important in Japan (stories are told in the ring for the most part, not on the mic or in angles) but he'd need to up his game a bit.

Saying all that, If you were to put a list of Rusev's top 5 matches so far what would they be? I remember loving one of the Swagger PPV matches where Rusev basically was crying as he sold his ankle. He had another borderline great match with Big E IIRC during E's IC run. The Cena Mania match was really good. What else?

Emma was pretty good/great relative to the rest of the women at the time in NXT but she's not as good mechanically or in terms of psychology as Cody. I say this as somebody who thinks Cody is not exceptional. Cody's best matches in WWE and outside of it smoke Emma's best from what I've seen of them, so I'm going to wholeheartedly disagree with the above hot take.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Overly Critical Man said:

It still won't compare to the collective hand-wringing the board did when the criminally under-appreciated Scotty 2 Hotty was cruelly released.

• Like 1

BTW - Lio is getting crushed by the majority of the NXT roster and instead of deleting the tweet he is happily liking all their responses

Good to know getting signed by the WWE didn't change him

35 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

lol so it begins 

Go back and look on the board for what people thought of her NXT run and the gimmick and how Regal was reacting to it as an announcer, and then how frustrated they were when she was brought up as Santino's sidekick without any build. Take a look at the early Evil Emma stuff and how much people here were into it. You can probably find people really into her WM pre-show entrance/match too during the multi-woman tag. I think you'd see a lot of consistency here, to be honest. Not all of that is "great matches" but it's definitely enjoying what she was bringing to the table and thinking she was mis-used. It wouldn't be some level of crazy revisionism. 

People were critical of Cody too (I can't remember who or why though.)

• Like 7

I feel like releasing Lio Rush over that tweet would make him a martyr to indie fans and give him a chance to cash in on this, but I would be more than okay with a punishment of not doing TV and not leaving the Florida house show circuit for the next year and making him be the first to start putting up the ring and the last to tear it down at those shows.

I am also thinking he is going to be doing a shitload of bump and chop drills on Monday morning.

28 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Doesn't Rusev just troll people on twitter now? He's fucking around. I've been thinking about Rusev's in-ring work lately in that he doesn't have a great deal of high end matches but he works to both his character and the situation so well. He's such a throwback in that he doesn't just go out there and throw out a bunch of moves and hope to have the best match on the card every night. He works his ass off to make the babyface look like gold and tell a logical story. Out of the entire WWE roster, I feel like Rusev is the one guy that would fit like a glove with the '80s/territorial style of wrestling. Bray is similar to a much lesser extent. Excellent character work in the ring but he's not nearly as engaging or consistent as Rusev, nor does he do the small things in terms of selling and timing that Ru Ru does. I think it's possible to maintain most if not all of the character work and still put on more exciting matches though. Seeing Rusev in New Japan would be interesting because he could keep the character work that's more in important in Japan (stories are told in the ring for the most part, not on the mic or in angles) but he'd need to up his game a bit.

Saying all that, If you were to put a list of Rusev's top 5 matches so far what would they be? I remember loving one of the Swagger PPV matches where Rusev basically was crying as he sold his ankle. He had another borderline great match with Big E IIRC during E's IC run. The Cena Mania match was really good. What else?

Emma was pretty good/great relative to the rest of the women at the time in NXT but she's not as good mechanically or in terms of psychology as Cody. I say this as somebody who thinks Cody is not exceptional. Cody's best matches in WWE and outside of it smoke Emma's best from what I've seen of them, so I'm going to wholeheartedly disagree with the above hot take.

I have never understood how anyone could watch the Wyatt family act & not see that Harper was the real star. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

BTW - Lio is getting crushed by the majority of the NXT roster and instead of deleting the tweet he is happily liking all their responses

Good to know getting signed by the WWE didn't change him

Meanwhile, on the other side of things, this was really nice.

• Like 5

Emma was never going to be a great headliner but you on any roster you need solid mid-card talent to help the new talent get over and keep the upper card people on top.  WWE does not understand this with the men or women. 

I would think the WWE is trying to take the company private with the way they are destroying the business because attendance does not matter only social media metrics matter.

The SHOULD cut another one or two dozen names from the roster.  

22 minutes ago, Peck said:

Meanwhile, on the other side of things, this was really nice.

I feel like they're really wasting Ali. Well the whole CW division really but him in particular.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

I feel like they're really wasting Ali. Well the whole CW division really but him in particular.  

Just speaking generally, not specifically to ring-work, etc., him and Gulak are easily my two favorite things of 205 Live.