DVDVR Message Board

Blade Runner

Dolfan in NYC

Blade Runner 2049 is coming out in 2 weeks, and I've never been more anxious about a movie being good. The original is probably my favorite movie and I really want to see what has happened in this neo-noir world for the last 30 years.  

To wit...  Here are the 3 short films commissioned by Denis Villenueve that link the 2 movies. 

2036: Nexus Dawn

Spoiler

2048: Nowhere To Run

Spoiler

And the one that came out today... Black Out 2022

Spoiler

I'm figuring (hoping) this is going to be huge, so I'm starting this thread now. 

Also, full disclosure, I'm more creating this thread so I can come to one place and see the 3 shorts in one place after the movie.  I'm trying to go into 2049 as blind as possible. 

• Like 1

I'd say Original first.  Then later Final.  

Original gives you the classic version of the film. More exposition, etc.  

Final Cut is the one re-done by Ridley Scott, remastered and adds a bunch of stuff. Including answers to a bunch of questions that the original cut will leave you with (don't worry, this is a feature, not a bug).  

14 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's so painfully obvious Ford didn't want to do the voice over. But if you want the original, do the international cut not the U.S.

Directors or Final, either way. 

There's also always the Work Print

The obvious half-assed voiceover accidentally worked really well, IMO.  It gives him the uninterested, world-weary tone of a film noir detective.  And Blade Runner is just a sci fi version of a noir detective film, so it's kismet.

• Like 1

Director's Cut all the way. 

I agree with Technico.  Ford's half assed commentary does give Blade Runnier the noir detective feel that the producers were probably going for, but I still prefer to hear Roy Batty's Tears In The Rain soliloquy unfettered by extraneous commentary.

The scene is more powerful when Deckard stands there and watches Roy die in silence and all you can hear is the rain falling.

I am a chump for soundtrack do-overs, so new versions of:

and

better find their way into Blade Runner 2049.

Even the shitty live action Ghost in the Shell joint had the good taste to try to shoehorn Birth of a Cyborg into the soundtrack..

• Like 1

YouTube killed Dolfan's link for Black Out 2022.

Here is an active one for the short film.

Spoiler

I think that it is awesome that they are keeping the time line intact even though we probably won't have flying cars and androids five years from now.

I am still shocked that people don't realize that the White Zombie song, More Human Than Human, is a direct reference to the original film.  It is the company motto of the Tyrell Corporation..

I am a nerd.  I used to own this shirt, but it was destroyed by the washer machine.

il_340x270.1179983408_trgw.jpg

After 2049 comes out, I may have to embarrass the wifey and purchase another one.

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 3:29 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Double Feature tickets are on sale:  https://www.fandango.com/blade-runner-the-final-cut-double-feature-2017-110776/movie-overview

Note, they're using the Final Cut version of the first movie. 

Jesus, that is like six or seven fucking hours of sitting in a movie theater.  There had better be an intermission.