DVDVR Message Board

Pitchers & Catchers Report 2/12/18

RIPPA

19 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

:::cue up the Wally Backman calls to WFAN:::

Those are STILL better than the "Joe Girardi is the worst manager in baseball history and he should be fired if the Yankees don't win the next 6 World Series" calls.

I'm not sure where it was from, but someone was talking about how they wanted to see the Mets go after someone from the new school of baseball who focuses on analytics and stuff like that, "someone like Mike Matheny."

And then I laughed my ass off.

Hey, maybe the Mets will actually get their chance with Mike Matheny if the Cards get fed up with him.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Those are STILL better than the "Joe Girardi is the worst manager in baseball history and he should be fired if the Yankees don't win the next 6 World Series" calls.

They are. I personally don't call in. Sure, Girardi makes questionable calls, but all managers do. If the Yankees let him go, you'd have a lot of teams making him an offer. I think a lot of the Yankee fans that call in aren't the die hards. I think they're the ones that only know the Joe Torre era and expect a world series every year. Do I want the Yankees winning the series every year? Of course. Do I expect it? No. If they get past the wild card game, they've got the same chances as any of the other remaining teams.

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Tigers manager Brad Ausmus is going to be fired after the season.

To be technically accurate, he's just not being re-signed.  His contract is up.

• Thanks 1

The Marlins have officially been sold to Derek Jeter and a bunch of shady ass investors.  

To prepare for the great celebration, King Joffrey, er, Jeter took last week to fire David Samson, Jeff Conine, Jack McKeon, Tony Perez, and Andre Dawson from their front office positions.  

5 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The Marlins have officially been sold to Derek Jeter and a bunch of shady ass investors.  

To prepare for the great celebration, King Joffrey, er, Jeter took last week to fire David Samson, Jeff Conine, Jack McKeon, Tony Perez, and Andre Dawson from their front office positions.  

More time for Samson to do movie reviews. 

Newsday has an article up about how the Mets wanted to fire Terry Collins on multiple occasions but Fred Wilpon blocked it.

Also - all the players now hate Collins

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/sources-mets-owner-fred-wilpon-protected-terry-collins-from-getting-fired-1.14297441

Communication issues also arose with players, team insiders said, leading to a loss of support within the clubhouse.

Veterans often heard of decisions about playing time through media reports rather than from the manager. Younger players described discovering that Collins had harbored concerns about certain parts of their game, though he didn’t bother to share them directly.

Adding to the frustration, team insiders said, was that Collins created an image through the media as a strong communicator who backs up his players. Players and officials saw that portrayal as inaccurate.

“He has always been difficult to communicate with,” one Met said. “It would be a surprise if he said ‘hey’ to you when you passed each other in the hallway if your name wasn’t [Matt] Harvey or [Yoenis] Cespedes. It’s always been those couple things along with some of the in-game decisions he makes.”

The nadir came shortly after the Mets traded most of their veterans, many of whom had taken an active role in maintaining a functional clubhouse culture. Collins made little secret about his preference for giving the vets more playing time at the expense of younger players, who groused about it.

The trades left the clubhouse filled with the same types of young players who sources said had grown to resent the manager. Collins found himself unable to stem the growing discontent, conjuring unflattering comparisons to the player rancor that ended his previous managerial stops with the Astros and Angels.

Said one Met: “We were all miserable.”

The Phillies just announced that they're kicking Pete Mackanin upstairs as a "Special Assistant" after the season is over; he'll manage the last 3 games as a dead man walking.

Along those same lines - the As gave Bob Melvin a one year extension (so through 2019) so he wouldn't be a "lame duck manager" next year.

Doesn't mean he won't get canned next year but he at least survives this offseason

Here is the full draft order for all 30 teams…

1. Tigers (64-98)
2. Giants (64-98)
3. Phillies (66-96)
4. White Sox (67-95)
5. Reds (68-94)
6. Mets (70-92)
7. Padres (71-91)
8. Braves (72-90)
9. Athletics (75-87)
10. Pirates (75-87)
11. Orioles (75-87)
12. Blue Jays (76-86)
13. Marlins (77-85)
14. Mariners (78-84)
15. Rangers (78-84)
16. Rays (80-82)
17. Angels (80-82)
18. Royals (80-82)
19. Cardinals (83-79)
20. Twins (85-77)
21. Brewers (86-76)
22. Rockies (87-75)
23. Yankees (91-71)
24. Cubs (92-70)
25. Diamondbacks (93-69)
26. Red Sox (93-69)
27. Nationals (97-65)
28. Astros (101-61)
29. Indians (102-60)
30. Dodgers (104-58)

I know that Dolfan has been ignoring it but

Giancarlo Stanton doesn’t want any part of a Miami Marlins rebuild, he tells Jon Heyman. “I don’t want to rebuild. … I’ve lost for seven years,” he said.

I know it's coming.  Jeter has already indicated that payroll is going to get slashed.  

Stanton just has a monster deal, which makes him basically untradeable -- or more accurately, the Marlins would get fucked in the deal because the other team would throw a bucket of D-level prospects in exchange for taking on the salary.