DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 117: St. Preux vs. Okami (9/22/17) - Saitama, Japan (Saitama Super Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_Fight_Night_Japan_St._Preux_vs._Okam

UFC Fight Night 117: St. Preux vs. Okami 
September 22, 2017
Saitama, Japan (Saitama Super Arena)

Ovince St. Preux (206) vs. Yushin Okami (203.5) - St. Preux, SUB (Von Flue choke), R1 (1:50)
Cláudia Gadelha (115) vs. Jéssica Andrade (116) - Andrade, DEC (unanimous)
Takanori Gomi (156) vs. Dong Hyun Kim (156) - Kim, TKO (punches), R1 (1:30)
Gökhan Saki (205) vs. Luis Henrique da Silva (206) - Saki, KO (punch), R1 (4:45)
Teruto Ishihara (145) vs. Rolando Dy (145) - Ishihara, DEC (unanimous)
Jussier Formiga (126) vs. Yuta Sasaki (125.5) - Formiga, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (4:30)

FXX Preliminary Card:
Keita Nakamura (170) vs. Alex Morono (170) -  Nakamura, DEC (split)
Syuri Kondo (116) vs. Chan-Mi Jeon (116) - Kondo, DEC (split)
Shinsho Anzai (171) vs. Luke Jumeau (170) - Anzai, DEC (unanimous)
Daichi Abe (171) vs. Hyun Gyu Lim (170.5) - Abe, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Gökhan Saki
Performance of the Night: Ovince St. Preux
Fight of the Night: Cláudia Gadelha vs. Jéssica Andrade

Attendance: 8,571
Rating: 502,000 viewers

Cancelled Fights:
Jenel Lausa vs. Naoki Inoue - Injury to Inoue (Shoulder)
Maurício Rua vs. Ovince St. Preux - Injury to Rua (Knee)
Mizuto Hirota vs. Charles Rosa - Hirota Removed from the Bout

An impressive poster for a main event that I barely have interest in.

That fucking co-main, however, will have my full attention.  Claudia and Jess should beat the shit out of each other.

I was going to come here to bitch about Korean Zombie not showing up on a fight card so close to his home country, but then I remembered he must still be nursing that knee injury he suffered before 214.

Well, that's not a good sign.

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

An impressive poster for a main event that I barely have interest in.

That fucking co-main, however, will have my full attention.  Claudia and Jess should beat the shit out of each other.

I was going to come here to bitch about Korean Zombie not showing up on a fight card so close to his home country, but then I remembered he must still be nursing that knee injury he suffered before 214.

Yup, Bloody Elbow put out a story in reference to KZ's response to Jeremy Stephens calling him out and it says he will be out the rest of the year. Plus, this card kinda came together during the summer. So they had a full card pretty early on.

FWIW Doo Ho Choi is back training after his injury that took him off 214 so at least he should be back soon.

FWIW Claudia is taking time off to be with her family in Brazil. I hope she sticks with Luttrell in ABQ because she has improved since being with the team. I know Jessica was going at her for leaving Brazil, but it's clear she had hit her ceiling at Nova Uniao. Also, that's a weird platform for Andrade to be on because every female fighter from Brazil ain't her or Claudinha for that matter. You're going to have way more Larissa Pachecos than fighters of the quality we saw last night. Other than Andrade, how many female fighters from Brazil are straight overhead suplexing people? Cyborg can but that's Cyborg and she has been in the US for several years now.  It's extremely easy to put together a gaudy record on the regional scenes. There are way more pretenders than contenders. That's just the reality. Moreover, the last woman that beat Andrade was a fighter who left her native country while she was already a pretty damn good fighter and champion to become an even better fighter. I don't think that's a slight to Poland or Brazil but a declaration that fighters need to make moves to better their careers while those moves might make a positive impact. How many fighters in just the last six or seven years made gym/team moves when it was already too late to do so? Countless. In addition, Claudia training with Luttrell also gives her access to training with fighters and coaches at Jackson/Wink. Unless she can install an all-star team in Brazil headed by Jair Lourenco or somebody of that ilk, there ain't no reason for her to go back to Brazil especially if she wants to get another crack at Joanna before Joanna jumps to 125.

The main events lived up to my wildest expectations:  Jessica and Claudia beat the living shit out of each other and OSP vs. Okami was very short.

I am not sure if I agree with the Gökhan Saki game plan of eating multiple strikes in the hope of landing one single haymaker.  That worked against Luis Henrique da Silva, but I don't think he'll fare as well against more serious opposition.

The Japanese fighters swept the prelims and then shit fell apart.

Ishihara's reward for winning his fight should've been to rugby punt Dy in the groin from a running start three times.

Normally I find DC and Bisping's smug commentary to be unbearable, but the Post Fight show was really interesting.   The whole "only idiots fall prey to Von Flue Chokes" bullshit gradually turned into a fairly enlightening BJJ instructional session about working off your back and what to do once you pull guard and find yourself trying to defend against a choke.

As a guy who prefers to strike and defines takedown defense is not being taken down in the first place, I found it very heartening to hear them talk about options that you can drill into reflexes by practicing them over and over.  Knowing what NOT to do is more important than knowing what to do.

You don't really get the chance to ponder your next move during a fight and you fight the way you train, so if you learn bad habits you will continue to make those types of mistakes unless you adjust your strategy and drill those adustments until they are second nature.

A friend of mine remarked that the OSP / Okami fight was the antithesis of the Hamilton / Spitz in the "this is what happens when you DON"T watch film" realm.  The peril of taking fights on short notice is being robbed of the time necessary to adequately study your opponent. Okami was obviously ill prepared to defend against a technique that OSP has used to secure several victories.  Being a veteran, it is arguable that Okami should've seen that coming, but he didn't,

I think Okami is in the "I'm just strictly in it for the checks" phase of his career. I had no idea he was even on a win streak coming into the OSP fight. I just remember his run at 170 not going to so well and thought it was silly for a dude who was once the biggest middleweight on the roster at one point being a welterweight.

20 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think Okami is in the "I'm just strictly in it for the checks" phase of his career.

Okami is a fighter like the Nogueira brothers, Shogun Hua, or Arlovski that can probably get jobs based on name recognition, but it has to suck being the gateway fighter that up and comers build their reps on by knocking them the fuck out.

Dan Hardy really made sure the fans got his questions translated, but wasn't too fussed about them hearing the answers. And also apparently never watches TUF season 2, if he doesn't know who Jason Von Flue is.

Was Claudia vs Jessica the bloodiest women's fight ever?