DVDVR Message Board

R.I.P., Bobby Heenan

Gonzo

:(

my wrestling fandom is more a function of Bobby Heenan, the hilariously biased heel color analyst, than any other individual.

main events are one thing but I'd watch entire shows and every match on them, no matter how non-compelling the matchup itself might be, just to hear Heenan react to it.

comedic timing that would rival any stand-up legend.

his voice is imprinted on my brain as one of the elements of How Professional Wrestling Is Supposed To Sound.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Matt D said:

He's our favorite, every single one of us. Our favorite what? Does it even matter? You know it's true. He's just our favorite.

Within the last 48 hours, I swear to you that I told my kid "Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat."

The Brain shaped every kid who grew up to be a smartass on this board, and that's all of us.

Perfectly Said.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Its the loss of one the greatest personalities in wrestling. Solid wrestler, fantastic manager, and the most enjoyable color commentator of all time. Bobby the Brain Heenan was professional wrestling in the best sense of that term. This was a man who could endlessly entertain whether he was being made to look like a fool or insulting someone via his barbs. A man who helped make babyfaces and heels while still standing out as character all his own. 

There will never be more consistently entertaining non-wrestling personalities week to week than Brain and Monsoon in the glory years of Prime Time. 

• Like 2

In an industry based on being a character, he really stood out over everyone else. Regardless of the match, interview segment, or whatever the subject matter he involved in he always found a way to steal the show and bring a sense of showmanship and hilarity that was unmatched.

• Like 1

When I was a young kid my Dad, who was not a wrestling fan, was drawn into the shows by the banter between Bobby Heenan and Gorilla Monsoon. We would sit and watch and laugh, and those memories are so special to me.

Bobby was so smart, so funny, so good he could turn people into wrestling fans just by the force of his talent. What an asset he was to the business.

RIP Brain 

• Like 1

• RIPPA pinned this topic