DVDVR Message Board

MAE YOUNG CLASSIC - EPISODE 5 (2nd Round 1/2)

RIPPA

Man Sane vs Belair was just a great match.   I mean Sane is the proven superstar and probably a future NXT champion but Belair was around her level with very little experience.   She has the swagger.  She has the intensity.   Future is huge for her

Hopefully all of the people saying that Evers was just as bad as Marti Belle in the 1st round watched her match with Abbey Laith and realize how stupid that comment was.  And wouldn't call it a carry job either.   

Serena was showing her rust but played the role of the smaller underdog perfectly.   That is how you do a big vs small match

Piper is awesome.  

But I gotta discuss this Kairi Sane and Bianca Belair match.  That was great.  Belair is so young and inexperienced (which played into the story) but holy shit what an amazing prospect she is.  She already has a great look and tons of charisma.  In-ring she has some beautiful trademark moves.  The hair whips are nasty and that was a nice looking 450.  

She will be a star.  Kairi was great too as expected.  I'd love to see a rematch with these two maybe a year down the road.  

Posting after watching everything that's up, Kairi/Belair is perhaps my favorite match of the tournament. It's at least top three. Kairi is Kairi, one of the best in the world; but Belair has a lot more going for her than just athleticism. But I mean... she has that too. Fwiw 

She was an SEC sprinter and high level Crossfit competitor, so it's not surprising, but still. 

Anyway, simple story of an experience gap making the difference where size and strength couldn't, executed well. Only thing sorta holding it back is Kairi's brutal landing on the elbow, which... maybe isn't so bad. One of the rare cases when a botch ends up looking as effective as the regularly move. 

• Like 1

I didn't like anything Serena did in that match. Her offensive choices were bad, and kicking out of that wonderful Vader bomb was bullshit.

Kairi's reaction to seeing the trophy was great. Kairi's timing on the kickout of the 450 and Bianca's reaction were perfect. Holy shit at that spinning backfist. That was a great showcase for Bianca, and she should only get better.

• Like 1

Commentary was better this time! Maybe the problem was that Jim didn't know what anyone did, and now that he has a better idea it's more natural? I buy that reasoning, at least.

hell kind of name is laith anyways? Evers being from the Storm school adds up. This was neat. I appreciate that it wasn't all Rule of Threes Indie Stuff- it made it feel that even though they were standing and trading, they knew when shit looked better and they skipped ahead to handle it. Felt rugged. Finish felt sorta flat- I don't buy the Alligator Clutch as a roll up that's, like, paralyzing- but, that's probably just me.

Deeb's yoga mom thing could be a really, really good heel gimmick. This match felt really rote, like a TV match. Really appreciated Serena selling the shoulder on the Hangman's Neckbreaker, it really added to the story of the effect of the size differential. Piper's michinoku driver looks fucking brutal. Really harsh whipping motion.

the thumbnail for one of the later episodes spoiled this one for me so I went in bummed. Sugehit is so fuckin good. Not that Mercedes isn't! It's just that the only wrestling I've been watching over the last few years that isn't Sumo and WWE payperviews is CMLL, so I've seen a lot of Sugehit and I was excited for her to get in front of a broader audience. The finish felt really abrupt, like it was just suddenly time to go home and so they just pulled the trigger.

Sane saying she wants people to memorize her matches is either a tremendous mistranslation or an incredibly deep darkness. No closer to understanding what EST means, but this match was the point that Belair won me over. She is GREAT as a heel. It helps that Sane is adorable and thus sympathetic, but when it was time to get heat she went all in and I appreciate that. Kind of amazing that she found a way to drop herself on her head with an elbow drop, but Kairi being completely covered in welts when the lights went up was a hell of an image. Great match. 

Good lord Belair has sooooo much upside especially as a heel. The cockiness with the athleticism to back it up and the hair can be used to whip, choke etc. That match was a ton of fun even with that rough landing on the elbow. 

Sugehit/Martinez did nothing for me. I have never been a huge fan of either and just can't get into their work. Not saying they are bad, just not for me.

Marti Bell stinking up the ring to the point they changed the finish was a blessing for Evers as she got another chance and had a really solid match with Laith.

Niven/Deeb had me irrationally worried for a second when Piper missed that top rope splash. Had Deeb pinned her with a spear after that it would have been rough. That being said I was cool with Deeb's Kendrick-esque story and continue to dig Piper being awesome.

Abbey and Evers really knew how to milk that crowd heat, their timing was impeccable.

Piper and Serena really got me wondering who would win. Hope Serena stays around and Piper's just fantastic.

Mercedes, this is the second match where it seemed she's holding back wrestling-wise. Her character is on-point; she would be a fantastic heel for the division.

Kairi vs Belair... fantastic match. Kairi was selling the hell out of everything Belair did, made her look like a million bucks. As for Belair, her natural athleticism is insane, I hope she stays in NXT and polish up her in-ring because her potential is out of this world (she already has a fantastic heel leaning confidence). Everyone was talking about the botch elbow but when I realized it was Belair who took it, I was like "eh, it's just a flesh wound to her."

Abbey/Evers was pretty decent, way better showign for Evers than the Belle match.

Mercedes/Segehit never felt like it quite came together. The chemistry just wasn't there.

Piper/Serena was dcent

Kairi/Belair was good and a great showing for Belair. Belair is going to be great in just a few years if she can keep improving this fast.

Bianca Belair is awesomeness. Impressed since her qualifying match, this felt like a breakout moment for her. Knew she wouldn't win but that 450 was incredible and legit had me as a near fall. Favorite match of the tournament by far

Very disappointed to see Serena go out early. Another good showing for Abbey. Mercedes/Sugehit was good while it lasted but surprisingly short, figured they would get a little more time.

Man that Deeb/Piper match was terribly laid out.  Really made Deeb look stupid for continually trying to lift her much larger opponent. The "slam" she pulled off was really poorly done too, not nearly enough struggle and very obvious Piper was doing all the work. 

Kairi is a star. She's got that unique charisma that makes you just want to watch her. Bianca looked really good too.

Rachel Evers looked much better here, but to say people were wrong for criticizing her in that first round match is flat out wrong. She was putrid in that match, regardless of who she was wrestling. Much better showing here.

Laith/Evers was probably the weakest 2nd round match (that or LeRae/Savoy), and there's a lot of people who went out in the first round who'd have been better opponents for Abbey. Evers still seems pretty green, hitting a cutter as "just a move" to minimal reaction only a minute or two into the match feels like an odd decision.

Where did they find Bianca Belair? That match with Kairi Sane was really damn good. She's easily a untapped gem for NXT in the future and I can not wait for the eventual Belair/Sane rematch down the road.

Piper Neven is everything they wish Nia Jax could be. They should just sign Piper.

6 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

Where did they find Bianca Belair? That match with Kairi Sane was really damn good. She's easily a untapped gem for NXT in the future and I can not wait for the eventual Belair/Sane rematch down the road.

This feature covers it pretty well. Short version: Track to Crossfit games to a message from Mark Henry.

On 9/9/2017 at 1:28 AM, Phantom Lord said:

Piper Neven is everything they wish Nia Jax could be. They should just sign Piper.

They don't want Nia to be anything like Piper. Monster face and monster heel are two very different things. Nia has played vulnerable monster better than many.