DVDVR Message Board

Mayweather vs. McGregor (8/26/2017) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Just now, wpdougie2180 said:

How did two of the judges give Mayweather 2 of the first 3 rounds? :blink:

I believe I mentioned this in the other thread when I compared how judges view scoring a Manny fight vs. a Floyd fight. Manny use to be a fighting whirlwind, especially at the height his career. So any fight where it's not that or he hasn't landed a handful of big shots is going to look sorta even.

At 147-154, that's not atypical in terms of the activity Floyd usually has in the first 3-4 rounds. This one was a little lower compared to other fights, but not as much a difference. Floyd has been given those rounds in the past primarily because the other fighter isn't doing shit either.

Have to assume there was an element of fix there. Conor isn't knocked down; Floyd wins by stoppage. The fight goes just long enough to give the impression of value for money to the crowd/those watching (a point both fighters kept impressing the want to do). And most of all - they can sell more 'novelty' fights in future. 

1 minute ago, A_K said:

Have to assume there was an element of fix there. Conor isn't knocked down; Floyd wins by stoppage. The fight goes just long enough to give the impression of value for money to the crowd/those watching (a point both fighters kept impressing the want to do). And most of all - they can sell more 'novelty' fights in future. 

There was a 'fix' as much as Mayweather could handle Conor as long as he needed to to make it competitive. He dragged it into the later rounds because he could.

19 minutes ago, A_K said:

I thought the stoppage was early, but not egregiously early.  McGregor was done, Floyd was walking through his punches, and just walking him down.  He was eating shots without returning fire.  That wasn't a bad stoppage, just earlier than I would have liked.

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

I thought the stoppage was early, but not egregiously early.  McGregor was done, Floyd was walking through his punches, and just walking him down.  He was eating shots without returning fire.  That wasn't a bad stoppage, just earlier than I would have liked.

Agreed it wasn't objectively a bad stoppage -- but I find it hard to believe McGregor (who was pretty close to being knocked out by Diaz in the first fight had he not gone to the floor) lives with a Floyd looking with serious intent to score the knockdowns for 10 rounds. Which is fine, it is what it is and for the casual was a better watch than the alternative, but I would be very very surprised if there wasn't some intentional theatre thrown into there. 

Not a great boxing match, but the bout was well worth what I spent on it so far as entertainment value is concerned.

Next MMA guy who wants to challenge an experienced boxer needs to watch the video then go do some cardio.  I don't really think Conor wins if his cardio was better, but it would have been interesting to see.

16 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Not a great boxing match, but the bout was well worth what I spent on it so far as entertainment value is concerned.

Next MMA guy who wants to challenge an experienced boxer needs to watch the video then go do some cardio.  I don't really think Conor wins if his cardio was better, but it would have been interesting to see.

The only thing I'd say about that is I don't think there is anything he could do about it. Mayweather's cardio is legendary, I don't know if its genetic or if he has a secret he isn't telling anyone, but I think Conor could run and try to build cardio for the next five years and still not be able to match Mayweather. There are some MMA guys that also never tire while others that are gassed by the second round, I agree that training can help that but strategy also plays a part of it also.

• Like 2

I love Stipe and think his work during this title reign is very underrated, but Joshua smashes him something fierce in a boxing match. Joshua just got into his prime and is a once in a lifetime (or once in quarter century at the very least) type heavyweight as far as athleticism. In the Whyte and Klitschko fights, he also showed he can come back from getting hurt really badly. I mean Whyte is a former kickboxer, but Whyte also showed his chin was extremely good.

There is no reason for Stipe to get smashed by Joshua because his name isn't there yet to create the demand for him to get a big purse. Plus, I don't think Joshua would waste his time because he has a handful fights currently available that would draw better than fighting a relatively unknown MMA champion.

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

The only thing I'd say about that is I don't think there is anything he could do about it. Mayweather's cardio is legendary, I don't know if its genetic or if he has a secret he isn't telling anyone, but I think Conor could run and try to build cardio for the next five years and still not be able to match Mayweather. There are some MMA guys that also never tire while others that are gassed by the second round, I agree that training can help that but strategy also plays a part of it also.

So many people were pissed off afterwards.  Why?  They expected a guy who has 15 minutes of cardio to suddenly ramp up to 45 minutes?  Add in Conor knows how to strike, not box, and it plays into Mayweather's strategy.  

Add in Mayweather being a counterpuncher and this was the worst possible matchup for Conor.  Mayweather just needed to let Conor gas himself and then take over.

That said, the bookies made a killing.  They caught a lot of fish and need to send out thank you cards to both boxers.

• Like 1

At minimum, probably an entire round approximately or a little over that. Conor would give the folks a show at least. I can't imagine the type of boos Conor would get for taking Floyd down within 90 seconds. Both are showmen so it would make no sense to try to do the which sport is superior nonsense.  

I imagine Conor would do the switching back and forth and all the feints while leg kicking the shit out of Floyd. Then, probably submitting him in the second round. So 7 or 8 minutes of fighting is long enough to where people feel like they got their money's worth, but not long enough to feel like this is a semi worked fight. 

Can any of you boxing historians comment on this: People are crying about this fight breaking Marciano's unbeaten mark. But knowing just how dirty and corrupt the sport was back then is it likely that there were Marciano opponents who were paid by someone to take a dive (also were a significant number of his 49 wins vs tomato cans)? Again I don't know much about the era and would like to hear from someone who does.

19 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Right now, I dunno if Khabib is legit recuperating from that surgery or he is using that to get a direct LW title shot (since he turned down a Ferguson fight). However, that would make sense as the 12/30 headliner.

I dunno if Holm really wants to fight Cyborg so they really need to figure that out in the next 3-4 weeks to get that card built.

Khabib Nurmagomedov can't even make weight, and Lee and Ferguson are fighting for the interim title. 

6 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Khabib Nurmagomedov can't even make weight, and Lee and Ferguson are fighting for the interim title. 

Khabib not being healthy led to the interim title fight. It was suppose to be to be Ferguson/Khabib being remade. If Khabib is the only one who doesn't have a fight, he will be the defacto #1 contender. 

If Conoro and Khabib can be made, they will do that fight. 

8 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Khabib not being healthy led to the interim title fight. It was suppose to be to be Ferguson/Khabib being remade. If Khabib is the only one who doesn't have a fight, he will be the defacto #1 contender. 

If Conoro and Khabib can be made, they will do that fight. 

Then that's your title fight and screw the dumbass interim title if it's not going to matter.

18 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Then that's your title fight and screw the dumbass interim title if it's not going to matter.

You have to negotiate for that fight to take place BEFORE you make plans to scrap the other one.

Kevin Lee was offered to do TUF with Alvarez. Alvarez turned it down. That ended up as Gaethje/Alvarez.

The UFC was waiting for Khabib to get healthy as well as Ramadan to end so he would be available to train so he can fight Ferguson.  Ultimately, Khabib turned that down w/ the reason from Dana being he needed more time to recover from hernia surgery. However, safely assuming, Khabib should be ready to go by late next month or October at the latest.

Meanwhile, the Money Fight event happened last night and Conor still has to sit down with the UFC to discuss the logical next step. The UFC did not know: A. Conor would come out with minimum damage as he went straight to his afterparty at ENCORE right after the presser and B. that Khabib would be unavailable to fight Tony because that itself was going to be for the interim title. Also, it looks like Ferguson-Lee wouldn't have happened w/o an interim title. If Khabib doesn't want to fight Tony and wanted to fight Conor for the real belt, it ain't lot of breathing room except to wait until Conor was done with the Floyd fight. Also, they needed a main event for October's PPV.

So basically, the UFC can end up with three high level lightweight fights instead of just one (the TUF coach fight).

Mayweather is OCD about his conditioning.  Over the last few weeks, I've been listening to a lot of podcasts that have been breaking down the fight and there are multiple stories about him doing absolutely bat shit things to stay in shape.  For instance, a guy who has lived in Vegas his entire life and is within a year or two of an age with Floyd was talking about how often they'd be in the same club at 3-4 in the morning.  He said everyone would be in line for taxis or trying to do a little parking lot pimping, and Floyd would be putting on sneakers so he could run home.  The president of the Boxing Writer's Association was talking about the first feature he wrote about Floyd, and how he'd get antsy if he hadn't worked out no matter what else was going on.  He would be on the way to do press or some sort of business meeting and would want to cancel everything to train like he was worried that one missed workout would be the difference between winning and losing.  This isn't just what he does when preparing for a fight, this is what he does every fucking day.  There was apparently a time where he met Adrian Broner and Broner was wearing a vest with no shirt under it at a club.  Floyd noticed he was out of shape, and basically lost all respect for him.  He isn't undefeated on accident, that dude pays more attention to his craft than any fighter I've ever heard of, and he has since he was a child.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Mayweather is OCD about his conditioning.  Over the last few weeks, I've been listening to a lot of podcasts that have been breaking down the fight and there are multiple stories about him doing absolutely bat shit things to stay in shape.  For instance, a guy who has lived in Vegas his entire life and is within a year or two of an age with Floyd was talking about how often they'd be in the same club at 3-4 in the morning.  He said everyone would be in line for taxis or trying to do a little parking lot pimping, and Floyd would be putting on sneakers so he could run home.  The president of the Boxing Writer's Association was talking about the first feature he wrote about Floyd, and how he'd get antsy if he hadn't worked out no matter what else was going on.  He would be on the way to do press or some sort of business meeting and would want to cancel everything to train like he was worried that one missed workout would be the difference between winning and losing.  This isn't just what he does when preparing for a fight, this is what he does every fucking day.  There was apparently a time where he met Adrian Broner and Broner was wearing a vest with no shirt under it at a club.  Floyd noticed he was out of shape, and basically lost all respect for him.  He isn't undefeated on accident, that dude pays more attention to his craft than any fighter I've ever heard of, and he has since he was a child.  

Maybe Broner's calling in life is to walk around like he is Butch Lewis, and Floyd didn't recognize that.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, sabremike said:

Can any of you boxing historians comment on this: People are crying about this fight breaking Marciano's unbeaten mark. But knowing just how dirty and corrupt the sport was back then is it likely that there were Marciano opponents who were paid by someone to take a dive (also were a significant number of his 49 wins vs tomato cans)? Again I don't know much about the era and would like to hear from someone who does.

Sure. Marciano fought a lot of cans, on the other hand he was a fighter who would routinely throw over a hundred punches a round. He was no joke. What his nuthuggers (read: white guys other than me), fail to mention is that he lost three bouts under amateur rules after turning pro.  I've followed boxing since Ali was Cassius Clay and I've never seen a technician that approaches Floyd. Yeah, he's easy to dislike but he's also the greatest P4P fighter you or I will ever see.

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

Sure. Marciano fought a lot of cans, on the other hand he was a fighter who would routinely throw over a hundred punches a round. He was no joke. What his nuthuggers (read: white guys other than me), fail to mention is that he lost three bouts under amateur rules after turning pro.  I've followed boxing since Ali was Cassius Clay and I've never seen a technician that approaches Floyd. Yeah, he's easy to dislike but he's also the greatest P4P fighter you or I will ever see.

I believe it was either Marciano's son or grandson that gave his take early last week and complained about Floyd potentially going 50-0. I'm like....this ain't the fucking 72 Dolphins.  You don't decide who has the record or not. It's not that goddamn sacred anyway. Go back underneath whatever rock you came from and shut the hell up. When it's all said and done, some B level club fighter in Asia or the Middle East will manage to get one of the 90,000 WBA titles out there and end his career 70-0. People will care as much about that "record" as Marciano's before Floyd surpassed it.