DVDVR Message Board

DANIEL BRYAN *IS* WRESTLING AGAIN

RIPPA

19 hours ago, Matt D said:

I feel like we need to engage with this somehow. 

So primarily, it's a matter of scale. The Rock was the biggest moneymaking movie star in the world last year. 

I had no idea he was that big.  I also wasn't aware he has his own production company.  I don't follow entertainment news all that closely, obviously.  I've always thought of the Rock as an action star who gets steady work but whose movies generally aren't great.  The Fast and the Furious series does nothing for me, personally, but does well at the box office.  Just browsing Wikipedia, I don't see too many recent other movies of his that were huge hits.

I stand corrected.  A little Googling gives me the impression Rock is a hell of a lot more successful than I give him credit for.  Still don't believe that the guy who decided to star in Hercules and Baywatch can pick any script he wants.  Unless he's just really bad at it (though I guess I can understand looking at Baywatch and San Andreas from deciding they'll be promoted heavily and thus good for his career even if they are bad).

Rock's wrestling career gives him a pretty good resume as far as making chicken salad out of chickenshit. Also, Hercules and Baywatch may have been shitty movies, but they weren't flops. Hercules drew $245M in box office with a budget of $100M. Baywatch made $178M with a budget of $69M. The rule of thumb for break-even is making double their budget. (This varies based on a ton of factors but unless you actually have money involved, 2x works for quick-and-easy). Even his shitty movies reap a decent profit.

• 2 weeks later...

By Dave Scherer on 2017-11-10 14:46:00
The Trentonian interviewed Daniel Bryan at last night's WWE Night at the NJ Devils game.  They quoted him as saying:

“I’m trying to get cleared as we speak.  All my tests have come back fantastic, better than people who have never had any concussion-type stuff. But it’s a weird thing. We’re in a weird situation politically with the climate around concussions; right now, it’s very difficult. WWE would love to have me back, but is that the smart thing for me as a business to bring me back? If I was to come back, and they let me back, would they get a lot of flak for it? They have a ton of stockholders that they’re responsible for. It’s more than just, ‘Is he healthy to do it?’

There’s more than that to the whole situation. All the concussion doctors think that I’m healthy enough to do it, and that I should be able to do it — well, I don’t want to say all of them, I’m sure there’s somebody out there who doesn’t think that — but there’s a lot more than goes into it than just that. That’s the unfortunate situation with giant corporations and big business in the United States.”

• Like 1

Daniel Bryan's gonna end up in a hut in Brazil letting a shaman perform psychic surgery on him, isn't he (I actually know of someone who did that in an attempt to get over a serious injury)?

I don't find D-Bry particularly believable at this point.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Daniel Bryan's gonna end up in a hut in Brazil letting a shaman perform psychic surgery on him, isn't he (I actually know of someone who did that in an attempt to get over a serious injury)?

I don't find D-Bry particularly believable at this point.

Yeah, why believe Daniel Bryan when we can put our trust in Vince McMahon and the good people working for WWE Corporate?

Just for the record, I don't know if its healthy for him to ever wrestle again or not. I just find the faith people are putting in McMahon employed doctors baffling.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mystman said:

Yeah, why believe Daniel Bryan when we can put our trust in Vince McMahon and the good people working for WWE Corporate?

Just for the record, I don't know if its healthy for him to ever wrestle again or not. I just find the faith people are putting in McMahon employed doctors baffling.

Oh, I just re-listened to Punk's appearance on Cabana's podcast earlier this this week.  I have virtually no faith in WWE's doctors.  But.... I think Daniel Bryan has suffered repeated concussions and severely damaged his brain,  I think he's in denial about the severity of his CTE, and I don't believe for a minute that his brain has magically healed and is now in better shape than a healthy, non-concussed person. Danielson is desperate to get back in the ring and he's lying to himself while he searches for someone agree with him.

• Like 2

On 11/10/2017 at 8:17 PM, Victator said:

It feels like WWE is stringing Bryan alone hoping he will sign a new contract next year.

I really doubt he re-signs unless he's guaranteed a return to the ring. The only exception is if he does a sudden about-face and makes peace with his in-ring career being over. I don't see that happening though. If having a baby didn't change his mind, I don't think anything will.

On 11/10/2017 at 5:16 PM, Matt D said:

Dr. Concussion would be an amazing 1987 Memphis gimmick. 

He'd be a 3 time tag team champion with Tommy Rich for sure.  

On 11/10/2017 at 9:33 PM, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Oh, I just re-listened to Punk's appearance on Cabana's podcast earlier this this week.  I have virtually no faith in WWE's doctors.  But.... I think Daniel Bryan has suffered repeated concussions and severely damaged his brain,  I think he's in denial about the severity of his CTE, and I don't believe for a minute that his brain has magically healed and is now in better shape than a healthy, non-concussed person. Danielson is desperate to get back in the ring and he's lying to himself while he searches for someone agree with him.

If that is what Punk said I think he is legit looking out for a friend.  

I heard some wild stuff about him wanting to go to Australia with some Japan guys to start a scene.  It seems bizarre that with a kid on the way and a decent non-wrestling role, Bryan would be so obsessed with returning to the ring.  

If Punk is dropping CTE then there must be more information out there.  

It would not surprise me if Bryan was doctor shopping at this point.  Go to enough doctors and you find one that will tell you what you want to hear.  They just legalized pot in PA and the local newspaper ran a story about how the doctors writing prescriptions were suddenly becoming popular.

On a pure money level, Bryan can't be making as much as he did during his last year as a wrestler. He is in his peak earning years right now and he will never get this time back. I can't blame him for wanting to wrestle either financially or creatively. 

For some reason I had a dream WWE offered Bryan full creative control of NXT to get him to stay. 

I think some messaging got crossed up above. I don't recall Punk talking about CTE or concussions much if at all in his original interview with Cabana. Maybe I'm wrong. Bryan was still wrestling then.

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

I think some messaging got crossed up above. I don't recall Punk talking about CTE or concussions much if at all in his original interview with Cabana. Maybe I'm wrong. Bryan was still wrestling then.

Yeah, someone got confused.  I joked that I had no faith in the WWE doctors because I had just listened to the Punk shoot with Cabana.  Punk had some sort of growth on his back and the WWE doctor(s) kept telling him it was nothing.  Supposedly went to a real doctor and they diagnosed a staph infection.  The interview is basically one long story about Punk getting hurt and beat up and WWE personnel doing the "It's just a scratch!  It's just a flesh wound bit!" from Monty Python.

After that, I gave my opinion about Daniel Bryan.  Someone posting after me kinda confused the two and thought Punk was talking about Bryan during the podcast.

That was me.

Bryan was never the brightest guy when it came to taking care of himself.  He never got a ruptured eardrum repaired continuing to wrestle for years with the injury.  Look at all the time he wasted on trying holistic therapies to fix his elbow because he did not want surgery.  

• Like 1