DVDVR Message Board

DANIEL BRYAN *IS* WRESTLING AGAIN

RIPPA

On 10/18/2017 at 8:17 AM, Matt D said:

He kind of talked me into it on the E&C pod. I guess I’m an easy mark.

What was funny about this is he starts the podcast talking about Brian Kendrick and how he's into conspiracy theories. How when you speak about some insane theory that other people don't know much about they will by default believe you because you know so much about the topic and are talking with conviction. Then goes on to discuss with authority the flaws of concussion testings and how he's taking treatments which actually reverse the damage done from concussions.

Pot meet kettle.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyJ said:

What was funny about this is he starts the podcast talking about Brian Kendrick and how he's into conspiracy theories. How when you speak about some insane theory that other people don't know much about they will by default believe you because you know so much about the topic and are talking with conviction. Then goes on to discuss with authority the flaws of concussion testings and how he's taking treatments which actually reverse the damage done from concussions.

Pot meet kettle.

I find myself believing your conspiracy theory too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

Unless I'm mistaken, unlike the Bryan situation, the WWE has never explicitly stated that Angle would never wrestle for them again, correct?  Seems like an important fact Bryan is ignoring.

I think it angers him there is a double standard so they can cover their ass. I think Bryan is mentally already gone and this is confirmation for him, that he is right to leave. 

Daniel Bryan has a daughter with his WWE employee wife and is currently a star on an E! show with said wife. If Bryan leaves WWE, that screws up Brie's gig on E! (since WWE wouldn't want him on the show anymore and you can't do a reality show about the Bellas without Bryan at least showing up sometimes).

There are many business reasons why Bryan likely won't leave WWE.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Nature Boy said:

Daniel Bryan has a daughter with his WWE employee wife and is currently a star on an E! show with said wife. If Bryan leaves WWE, that screws up Brie's gig on E! (since WWE wouldn't want him on the show anymore and you can't do a reality show about the Bellas without Bryan at least showing up sometimes).

There are many business reasons why Bryan likely won't leave WWE.  

This is a fair point, but didn't they yank Tyson Kidd from Total Divas without altering the show at all...when everyone was so vocal about his injury?

Just now, Marty Sugar said:

This is a fair point, but didn't they yank Tyson Kidd from Total Divas without altering the show at all...when everyone was so vocal about his injury?

Daniel Bryan is a big enough star that you can't yank him without fundamentally altering the show. I haven't seen Total Bellas in a while but I can't imagine you can have a show where the husband of one of the stars develops Chuck Cunningham syndrome and disappears. 

• Like 1

Just now, The Nature Boy said:

Daniel Bryan is a big enough star that you can't yank him without fundamentally altering the show. I haven't seen Total Bellas in a while but I can't imagine you can have a show where the husband of one of the stars develops Chuck Cunningham syndrome and disappears. 

But if they did that...how great would it be? Or even better, just replace him with someone else and pretend like nothing happened...then bring Bryan back later, like they did on Roseanne.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I wouldn't start betting on Cena's movie career taking off like the Rock's.

Like Rock's? Probably not. A solid career based on both supporting and starring roles? Already there.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Like Rock's? Probably not. A solid career based on both supporting and starring roles? Already there.

Yeah, he'll do better than Hogan but not as well as Rock. Cena is a naturally charismatic dude who has great camera presence. He won't be an A-list guy but he can have a solid career. 

And Cena being off of Total Bellas while filming movies is nowhere near as weird as Bryan not being there because WWE doesn't want him on camera. At least with Cena, he isn't there because he actually isn't physically present when they're filming. 

Eh, IMO, Cena's already getting better roles than Rock.  He probably won't get as many starring roles or make as much money, but nothing in Rock's filmography stacks up to Legendary, the Wall, or Trainwreck.  Rock probably will never get a major role in a serious drama.

I don't begrudge Rock his success - he's worked for it - but I've no desire to see his movies.  Think the last movie of his I liked was.... The Mummy Returns (I'm looking at his filmography on Wikipedia right now).  Monoa was probably the best film he's been in, but that was just a voice role.  Aside from voice roles, he's literally not had a major role in a movie that I thought was good since 1999.  That's.... quite an achievement.  Of some sort.

Cena's probably not going to achieve Rock's level of stardom, but he seems to be trying to avoid getting pidgeon-holed in the action guy mold.  I doubt Daddy's Home 2 is going to be particularly good, but it probably will compare favorably (and be pushed harder) than Rock comedies like the Tooth Fairy.

4 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Eh, IMO, Cena's already getting better roles than Rock.  He probably won't get as many starring roles or make as much money, but nothing in Rock's filmography stacks up to Legendary, the Wall, or Trainwreck.  Rock probably will never get a major role in a serious drama.

I don't begrudge Rock his success - he's worked for it - but I've no desire to see his movies.  Think the last movie of his I liked was.... The Mummy Returns (I'm looking at his filmography on Wikipedia right now).  Monoa was probably the best film he's been in, but that was just a voice role.  Aside from voice roles, he's literally not had a major role in a movie that I thought was good since 1999.  That's.... quite an achievement.  Of some sort.

Cena's probably not going to achieve Rock's level of stardom, but he seems to be trying to avoid getting pidgeon-holed in the action guy mold.  I doubt Daddy's Home 2 is going to be particularly good, but it probably will compare favorably (and be pushed harder) than Rock comedies like the Tooth Fairy.

I feel like we need to engage with this somehow. 

So primarily, it's a matter of scale. The Rock was the biggest moneymaking movie star in the world last year. I read that, right? It's one thing to be a guy who is primarily typecast as an action star and makes good money and has constant work. It's another thing to be the most successful star in the world. For one thing, Rocky has his own production shop and produces TV shows and movies. He's successful enough that he can pick any role he wants, pretty much. He's successful enough that he can probably put together a bunch of Oscar winning talent, star-wise and creative-wise, either cover the bills himself or get some studio to go in with him, and do any sort of drama he wanted. In 2017, the Rock transcends being a star. Meanwhile, Cena's voicing a cartoon bull. 

• Like 3