DVDVR Message Board

WWE 2K18

odessasteps

This game is an awesome buggy mess. 8 man tags run at what seemed like 10 fps. The referee just stares at you when going for a pin. When crawling for a hot tag, the opponent will try a pin and the animation will get all fucked up and it'll look like Cameron going for a pin on somebody's stomach. Lots of endless cycle type of deals like Jey Uso throwing my ass around the outside back and forth in a tag team cell match.

But it looks really pretty, the carry system is great, the added moves and animations are fantastic, and if they can iron out those above issues in a patch or two it'll be fantastic. That a yearly iteration is this buggy is concerning though. And at least one invitee at the summer event asked them straight up about the frame rate drop in multi-person matches and they said it should be fixed for release... Not holding my breath.

I'm guessing they'd have legal issues otherwise.

This game is so frustrating because it's partially awesome and mostly just so fucking buggy right now. The AI is pretty borked in that they'll constantly freeze up when you're dizzy, get stuck in cycles, do repetitious stuff, and generally play strangely. But there's also a lot to like. I'm having a hard time not getting a semi watching Vader's entrance as I type right now. Brawling around the arena is a lot of fun. Tag matches are much better. The AI tries to keep you in their half of the ring and the hot tag mechanic is really nice and less quick time bullshit as it used to be. The CPU just gets up and feeds for you after the hot tag. 

They also made legendary difficulty actually tough this year. Reversal windows are super small, the timing on reversals is really different, and for some moves feels nigh impossible. The AI when not glitching out is incredibly aggressive. I like it, even though I'm usually getting my ass handed to me. Gonna do a last man standing match as Cactus '92 vs. Vader. I don't like my chances.

PS4. Have you done 8 man tags yet? Those were by far the worst. The ref would refuse to count or take 10 seconds to count the majority of the time. It was an elimination match, so I don't know if that only adds to the likelihood of glitches.

Do you notice much of a framerate drop on the Pro in those 8 man tags? I wonder if it's a hardware issue or if they just didn't put the necessary work in to make it flow smoothly regardless of the machine.

More positive news: easily the best Royal Rumble mode to date. So many different eliminations, the pacing of eliminations is great, big names stay in longer it seems, and the elimination button mash is actually pretty fun. Easily the my favourite part of the game so far. Great job beside the FPS drops. Even with seven on the screen it's not really bad. But once that 8th wrestler enters the fray it's significant.

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

PS4. Have you done 8 man tags yet? Those were by far the worst. The ref would refuse to count or take 10 seconds to count the majority of the time. It was an elimination match, so I don't know if that only adds to the likelihood of glitches.

Allegedly, stopping and then restarting the match fixes the ref glitch.  I haven't tried it yet.

What in the fucking fuck is wrong with Sting '88?! I just watched a video of him and he has no facepaint, no eyebrows, and his skin is a darker shade for where the facepaint would normally be, so it just looks like he has Vitiligo. Like...HOW?

20 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

Also guys, do a singles as Braun vs Enzo and you'll probably see the new "overwhelming offense" ability/feature that is pretty cool.

There is little more satisfying in video games than going "I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!" after squashing Enzo in 30 seconds. I did the fireman's carry position -> toss into the ring post. Beautiful.

So am I the only one having carry attempts escaped in like 1 or 2 seconds on legendary? It's almost impossible to hit environmental attacks with those even if I start the carry right by the ropes or turnbuckle. Am I doing something wrong or is that just how it is on legendary?

12 hours ago, Oyaji said:

So am I the only one having carry attempts escaped in like 1 or 2 seconds on legendary? It's almost impossible to hit environmental attacks with those even if I start the carry right by the ropes or turnbuckle. Am I doing something wrong or is that just how it is on legendary?

I'm playing on normal difficulty and it still happens a lot.