DVDVR Message Board

NXT August 2, 2017 TV SHOW

NikoBaltimore

I think Deville has upside, but we are for sure seeing a lot of rough edges and growing pains on TV which is a bit of a drawback of NXT. You have a lot of really experienced polished workers who are really just adjusting a bit to WWE style/character development and then you have people starting from square one. It can make the rookies look bad in comparison and makes for an uneven product. 

On 8/3/2017 at 7:41 PM, steve said:

O'Reilly's facial expressions make me giggle.

I'm glad someone said it. His natural resting face looks like an 11 year old paper boy. To look "menacing" he comes out making Norwegian black metal faces and looks...like an 11 year old paper boy making Norwegian black metal faces.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

His stupid walk with his shoulders up to make him look "menacing" is fucking terrible too.

Not overly happy with NXT re-loading the roster with the ROH vanilla midget squad. These guys were all boring and played out in ROH, and them showing up in NXT and not changing anything about themselves isn't any better.

• Sad 2

I appreciate that that Black busts out that springboard moonsault as part of his offense. If you're gonna have a cool athletic skill you can use as a taunt, why not do damage with it too, y'kno? That was a really fun match; Black has developed a nice set of strikes that look relatively distinct from the kicks that everyone else throws and O'Reilly is a solid guy to throw those strikes at.

2 hours ago, Dewar said:

His stupid walk with his shoulders up to make him look "menacing" is fucking terrible too.

Not overly happy with NXT re-loading the roster with the ROH vanilla midget squad. These guys were all boring and played out in ROH, and them showing up in NXT and not changing anything about themselves isn't any better.

Boooooooo. O'Reilly can work on some of the character stuff, sure, but he's got the UWF style down pat and is fantastic in the ring. I would rather watch him as a singles competitor than tag team with Fish, who is fine but I've seen enough of ReDragon as a team at this stage. 

O'Reilly was showing some fun personality in ROH the last year or so of his run there. I didn't see the tail end of it though, so I don't know if he kept progressing or regressed into 100% serious bidness KOR. My guess is the majority of people focusing on how silly he looks or whatever are fawning over him in 6 months. He's tremendous.

I mean if they can make Roderick Strong, who showed he can be a great douchebag heel but struggled to endear himself as a babyface on the indies, into super sympathetic family man, they can find something for O'Reilly... Then again, look at what they've done with Almas. *shrug*

• Like 2

Yeah, their track record isn't 100% but NXT has a habit of getting me interested in watching guys I'd given up on before. I like O'Reilly's style but there's something about "super serious wrestler" gimmicks that I find a little tiresome. He doesn't need to be repackaged as a hacker or anything but some tinkering and a few video packages would be enough to set him apart. Not sure how, of course, but maybe he's secretly a brony or into puzzles or something.