DVDVR Message Board

UFC 214: Cormier vs. Jones II (7/29/2017) - Anaheim, CA (Honda Center)

Elsalvajeloco

1 minute ago, Casey said:

Well I don't think anyone is surprised that Cyborg won, right?

I'm surprised Tonya didn't lose consciousness at some point. That was Cabbage Correira like. 

• Like 3

Yeah, sucks for DC but I don't think there's any shame being second best to the GOAT. He fought a close to perfect fight up to that point but Jones has too many tools and is too smart to keep down.

Really nice comments by Jones.

• Like 1

I don't think I've ever seen a fighter as crushed as that. Holy fuck.

Lesnar should really think about his long-term health. He's going to look like Evinger, scared of taking any shots. 

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

After round 2 I was wondering when we'd see the high kick from Jones.

And then we saw it.

Fuck.

If you're fighting a Mike Winkeljohn trained fighter who has been with him for several years, you gotta expect high kicks. It's not even an option really to dismiss them.

3 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I don't think I've ever seen a fighter as crushed as that. Holy fuck.

I told y'all. I was more worried about Cormier losing than Jon. This was his legacy on the line.

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

That Jon Jones will murder Brock Lesnar.

Yes. Yes, indeed. Oh, lord.

Amazing end to the rivalry. Felt bad for DC, but happy for Jones to have his moment and speech. Great to see Cyborg finally UFC champ and cool to see Evinger make it to round 3. Volkan looking killer again. Loved the Albu/Curran fight. Fun stuff from Lawler/Cerrone as well. Good show

At first I was pissed at Cormier acting like he did after the fight.  Like a spoiled baby.  But I can't really blame him.   He HAD to win that fight.  His legacy as one of the greats was on the line and his reputation in this whole rivalry as being the guy who the fans hated because he didn't do drugs or get arrested which obviously bothers him.   He was  known as the guy who won a UFC title because Jon Jones was a fucking idiot.

Jones was definitely on top of his game.  Now lets hope he doesn't fuck this shit up like he has done every other time

Maia vs Woodley was basically Maia vs Anderson Silva 2 except Woodley didn't make an ass of himself.  Maia tried tons of takedowns and none of them were closed.  Woodley did just enough to look convincing as that was it which was actually smart strategy

I don't think you can really judge DC's actions all that clearly. He was knocked severely unconscious just minutes prior to that and probably didn't understand the situation, and it was pretty much the worst case scenario for him professionally too. Does he retire after this? Does he go back to heavyweight? But then Jones may go to heavyweight, so...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, hammerva said:

At first I was pissed at Cormier acting like he did after the fight.  Like a spoiled baby.  But I can't really blame him.   He HAD to win that fight.  His legacy as one of the greats was on the line and his reputation in this whole rivalry as being the guy who the fans hated because he didn't do drugs or get arrested which obviously bothers him.   He was  known as the guy who won a UFC title because Jon Jones was a fucking idiot.

I don't think the fans disliked DC because he didn't do those things, but that he didn't win the title legitimately. As much the fans had a love hate relationship with Jon from 2011-2015, he was clearly the consensus best light heavyweight in the world. Most people thought Ali was a cocky asshole, but they knew he was the real heavyweight champion. I don't think the world of most MMA fans, but they have gotten smart enough to realize who is champion and who is the pretender to the throne.  

However, I will say that I believe that over the last two years that Cormier began to believe they loved Jon because he was some sort of bad boy. That's why he, as an avid wrestling fan, has tried to play heel in a lot of these exchanges. However, I don't think Cormier is good at hiding his true emotions. In pro wrestling, it is two or more guys "working" in a feud. It's hard to work in combat sports when you believe the other guy legitimately hates you and despises you. That's why I mentioned in the now defunct Mayweather-McGregor thread, once you start crossing the real/fake line in a legitimate sport, shit gets really hairy because the elements (tangible and intangible) being used are very real. In some cases, it works. In other cases, it doesn't work at all. An example of the latter is the rehash of the Sonnen-Silva feud in Bellator. It went cold because Chael is trying to work when the other guy legitimately hates his fucking guts. Wanderlei doesn't give a shit about doing pro wrestling type hype. And Chael isn't going to say anything noteworthy to then get stomped out by Wanderlei and his crew somewhere and end up in intensive care. Plus, Chael's act is pretty stale anyway. So what the fuck was Chael going to do to hype up a fight between two guys who are irrelevant at both 185 and 205?

In a real great feud or rivalry, you need the right elements to coalesce. The problem for Cormier is that despite being a pro wrestling lover, he is so passionate about coming out on top with someone who tonight proved a case for being the best MMA fighter of all time.

Lesnar already responded to Jones' call out:

The Associated Press reached Lesnar shortly after he watched the championship fight and then heard Jones call him out.

"Be careful what you wish for, young man," Lesnar replied.

So, uh, I guess this is a thing that's going to happen next year then. Cool?

• Like 1