DVDVR Message Board

UFC 214: Cormier vs. Jones II (7/29/2017) - Anaheim, CA (Honda Center)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_214_Cormier_vs._Jones_2_Poster.jpg?1

UFC 214: Cormier vs. Jones II 
July 29, 2017
Anaheim, CA (Honda Center)

UFC Light Heavyweight Championship: Daniel Cormier © (205) vs. Jon Jones (204.5) (fourth defense) - No Contest (Jones Failed USADA Drug Test)
UFC Welterweight Championship: Tyron Woodley © (170) )vs. Demian Maia (170) (third defense) - Woodley, DEC (unanimous)
UFC Women's Featherweight Championship: Cristiane Justino (145) vs. Tonya Evinger (145)  (vacant) - Justino, TKO (knees and punches), R3 (1:56)
Robbie Lawler (170) vs. Donald Cerrone (170) - Lawler, DEC (unanimous)
Jimi Manuwa (204.5) vs. Volkan Oezdemir (205.5) - Oezdemir, KO (punches), R1 (0:22)

FXX Preliminary Card:
Ricardo Lamas (145.5) vs. Jason Knight (145.5) - Lamas, TKO (strikes), R1 (4:34)
Aljamain Sterling (139.5) vs. Renan Barão (140) - Sterling, DEC (unanimous)
Brian Ortega (146) vs. Renato Carneiro (146) - Ortega, SUB (guillotine choke), R3 (2:59)
Andre Fili (145) vs. Calvin Kattar (145.5) - Kattar, DEC (unanimous)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Kailin Curran (115) vs. Alexandra Albu (115) - Albu, DEC (unanimous)
Eric Shelton (126) vs. Jarred Brooks (126) - Brooks, DEC (split)
Josh Burkman (155.5) vs. Drew Dober (155) - Dober, KO (punch), R1 (3:04)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Volkan Oezdemir
Fight of the Night: Brian Ortega vs. Renato Carneiro

Attendance: 16,610
Gate: $2.45 million
Buyrate: 850,000

Cancelled Fights:
Chan Sung Jung vs. Ricardo Lamas - Injury to Jung (Knee) 
Doo Ho Choi vs. Andre Fili - Injury to Choi 
Germaine de Randamie vs. Cristiane Justino - De Randamie Refused the Bout
Sage Northcutt vs. Claudio Puelles - Injury to Puelles (Knee) 
Cristiane Justino vs. Megan Anderson - Anderson Withdrew Due to Personal Reasons 
Sara McMann vs. Ketlen Vieira - Bout Moved to Another Event
Sage Northcutt vs. John Makdessi - Injuries to Both Fighters 
Dmitry Smolyakov vs. Adam Wieczorek - Bout Moved to Another Event

• Like 1

A UFC show I'm actually looking forward to this year.

Really hope Daniel Cormier can beat Jon Jones preferably by KTFO with Jones' stupid fucking actions outside the Octagon. I'd like to see Demian Maia, the submission wizard become the new UFC Welterweight Champion.

My most anticipated fight involves one of my favorites, Donald Cerrone fighting Robbie Lawler. That should deliver.

I'm also really hoping for Cormier simply knocking Jones out. I was on the Jones bandwagon in the beginning. I didn't buy into the narrative guys like Rashad were going into about him being a fake entitled fuck-up until shit started go down. 

• Like 1

The interview with those guys before the main event of Weidman / Gastelum was pretty interesting.

To say that they do not like each other is to say that the Pope is only a practicing Catholic.

• Like 2

Tough fight for me because I really hate Jon Jones mostly because I hate how coddled he is by Dana White and I know that if he wins it will be same old Jones.   Jon Jones is a prime example so far of the term "A leopard doesn't change his spots".   But the only hope I think Cormier has is with Jones is the guy who looked rusty against OSP.   Jones dominated Cormier is the previous fight physically and I think he is mentally in Cormier's head

• Like 1

If the fight does happen, I hope Cormier smashes Jones. I don't think there's anyone in MMA I hate more than Jones and I've felt that way even before the first Cormier fight. Jones has always been fake as fuck from the first moment he tapped his giant Philippians tattoo. Fuck him.

The other driving factor in this intense dislike for the guy is that not one person has been able to put him in his place and actually humble him. I just want to see him get fucked up and stop getting rewarded for being a fuck up over the last handful of years.

That said...I don't know if Cormier will have it in him. He should have steamrolled right through Silva, right? Not only didn't he do that, but a couple times Silva looked like he could upset Cormier. So will he have a better fight in him this time around?

• Like 1

Going to be celebrating in this thread if Daniel Cormier defeats Jon Jones.

While I'm at it, Alexander Gustafsson beat Jon Jones in their classic fight in September 2013. I said that long before Jones'  shit.

30 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If almost losing his career multiple times outside of the cage didn't humble him, a loss to Daniel Cormier isn't going to humble him.

Only if it ends in a decision loss.  IMO, a TKO or tap out loss against a person Jones clearly views with contempt will be more of a blow to his ego and do more towards settling him down than any self destructive behavior he's been engaged in. 

That being said, I don't see DC subbing Jones or winning via straight KO or ground and pound, if DC wins at all. The fight is Jones's to win or piss away at his discretion.

Jones has enough of a professional legacy that some MMA fed CEO would be willing to take a chance on Jones despite his personal baggage.  He'll burn his bridges one at a time like so many fighters before him.

If the Diaz boys can continue to find work, so can Bones..

And yeah, there is the real possibility that cleanly losing a title fight to DC could make Jones even more of a ticking time bomb dickhead rather than setting him straight.

All of that causes me to be concerned with the officiating.  I have a bad feeling that the ref in this war will either let things go too far in order to ensure a decisive finish and allow DC or Jones to take more of a beating than they should, or the ref will end things too soon in the process of protecting one of these guys from getting maimed and end up stoking the fires of controversy.

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Only if it ends in a decision loss.  IMO, a TKO or tap out loss will be more of a blow to Jones's ego and do more towards settling him down than any self destructive behavior he's been engaged in. 

I think it's all the same. Maybe briefly in the post fight interview, but I don't see that changing who Jon Jones is considering he's still prohibitively more liked than Cormier is. This whole plight has made Jon Jones a people's champion because Cormier didn't win his title legitimately. I don't know if Cormier could ever earn that legitimacy unless he goes on to become the best LHW champion ever by a long distance. That has helped boost Jon's psyche more than another Cormier win. I think this fight is just something that's academic to him (and pretty much a lot of other people). Therefore, if he loses, he can always say he underestimated DC and bring on the trilogy. 

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

But the only hope I think Cormier has is with Jones is the guy who looked rusty against OSP.

He still broke OSP's arm and almost slammed him through the mat like three or four different times.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

This whole plight has made Jon Jones a people's champion because Cormier didn't win his title legitimately.

But MMath will help some people get past that since DC has beaten the guy by decision that gave Jones the most trouble and he's twice choked out the guy that knocked the guy that gave Jones the most trouble.

But yeah.  IMO is it more important to DC that he wins this fight than it is important to Jones not to lose it.. 

The pressure is also on DC to win convincingly.  DC may publically say that he'd he happy with a decision win, but I don't think that would be true.

On 7/24/2017 at 11:46 AM, J.T. said:

But MMath will help some people get past that since DC has beaten the guy by decision that gave Jones the most trouble and he's twice choked out the guy that knocked the guy that gave Jones the most trouble.

But yeah.  IMO is it more important to DC that he wins this fight than it is important to Jones not to lose it.. 

The pressure is also on DC to win convincingly.  DC may publically say that he'd he happy with a decision win, but I don't think that would be true.

I'm more worried about Cormier than Jones on this one. If he doesn't win this one, he might retire because what is it left to do really? Why would he work his way back up to lose to Jon again when he is already 38? The heavyweight thing is sort of out the window because the UFC is still angling for his main training partner to get a title shot. He will always be the guy who was really good, but not great like Jon Jones. I think Cormier loves the paydays, but the problem is Cormier does wear his heart on his sleeve. Hard to sell a fight when you legit want to be and believe you're the best fighter in the division and the clear best fighter is right there. Moreover, he proved that by beating you 2 out of 2 times.

On 7/24/2017 at 0:20 PM, twiztor said:

guess I'm the only one rooting for jones. can't stand DC and look forward to jones regaining his crown on the lhw division

You're not the only one. I think this chapter in the division needs to come to end, and the most likely conclusion is Jon Jones proving the first fight wasn't a fluke.

• Like 1

Jon Jones setting up a fight I didn't even know I wanted to see. That said, he'd fuck Lesnar's shit up so bad that Lesnar would go running back to retirement.

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Jon Jones setting up a fight I didn't even know I wanted to see. That said, he'd fuck Lesnar's shit up so bad that Lesnar would go running back to retirement.

Lesnar is a big guy.

That's all I got.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Lesnar is a big guy.

That's all I got.

Sixty pounds bigger is like... three weight classes more or less.  And he still has that legit wrestling pedigree.  And has fought about as frequently as Jones has these past few years.

That's worth only being like a 7 to 1 dog, right?

• Like 1