DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 113: Nelson vs. Ponzinibbio (7/16/2017) - Glasgow, Scotland (The SSE Hydro)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_Fight_Night_Glasgow_Nelson_vs._Ponzi

UFC Fight Night 113: Nelson vs. Ponzinibbio
July 16, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland (The SSE Hydro)

Gunnar Nelson (170) vs. Santiago Ponzinibbio (169) - Ponzinibbio, KO (punch), R1 (1:22)
Joanne Calderwood (118)* vs. Cynthia Calvillo (116) - Calvillo, DEC (unanimous)
Stevie Ray (155) vs. Paul Felder (154) - Felder, KO (elbows), R1 (3:57)
Jack Marshman (185) vs. Ryan Janes (185) - Marshman, DEC (unanimous)
Khalil Rountree (203) vs. Paul Craig (204) - Rountree, KO (punches), R1 (4:56)
James Mulheron (240) vs. Justin Willis (264) - Willis, DEC (unanimous)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:
Danny Roberts (170) vs. Bobby Nash (170) - Roberts, TKO (punches), R2 (3:59)
Alexandre Pantoja (125) vs. Neil Seery (125) - Pantoja, SUB (rear naked choke), R3 (2:31)
Charlie Ward (169) vs. Galore Bofando (170) - Bofando, KO (throw and punches), R1 (2:10)
Danny Henry (155) vs. Daniel Teymur (155) - Henry, DEC (unanimous)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Brett Johns (135) vs. Albert Morales (134) - Johns, DEC (unanimous)
Leslie Smith (135) vs. Amanda Lemos (134) - Smith, TKO (standing elbows), R2 (2:53)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Paul Felder
Performance of the Night: Santiago Ponzinibbio
Fight of the Night: Danny Henry vs. Daniel Teymur

Attendance: 10,589
Gate: $1.2 million
Rating: 402,000 viewers

Cancelled Fights:
Mark Godbeer vs. Justin Willis - Injury to Godbeer
Leslie Smith vs. Lina Länsberg - Injury to Länsberg
Mitch Gagnon vs. Brett Johns - Injury to Gagnon

Good opener between Danny Henry and Daniel Teymur (brother of David) to start the FS1 portion of the card. Henry got his ass kicked for the first six minutes and then basically turned it around and started dominating the rest of the fight. Both of them are featherweights naturally, but I have no idea how Henry is going to get to 145. He's already tall and lanky as is. 

• Like 1

Galore Bafondo just knocked a man out by throwing him to the ground. That was both exhilarating and scary.

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

He also just got knocked out by a dude with the worst hairdo in MMA.

Probably not even in the top 25 at 170.

• Like 1

FWIW Bofando is 35 but he looks like a damn fine athlete and his only losses are DQs. I would be fine if they gave him a tougher opponent next time other than one of the lesser SBG Ireland fighters.

That was a pretty entertaining bout for Neil Seery to go out on. He had more success than I expected him to, but Pantoja is just too good of a submission grappler to not take advantage of it.

It's going to be hard for Danny Roberts to be a top 10-15 welterweight but fights like the one he just had with Bobby Nash proves he is pretty serviceable. Plus, his fights are usually intriguing to watch.

*Has a feeling Rountree is going to murder Paul Craig if he stays vertical*

*Still picks Paul Craig anyway*

*Rountree murders Paul Craig in front of his countrymen*

• Like 1

If Calvillo was more aggressive in trying to finish her takedowns and did that with more than a minute left on the clock, Calvillo would have easily submitted Calderwood. Calvillo's back taking abilities and transitions are just insane.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

I agree with Bisping JOJO won that fight.

Overall some great knockouts and submission up/down the card.

I thought Calderwood had her moments but I don't think her pressuring was that effective overall. She won round 2 IMO, but Calvillo was able to easily win rounds 1 and 2 because her takedowns and close submissions were the most appreciable offense of the rounds. If you are able to get a takedown, control, and get near submissions in a close round, you're going to win that round.

Man, I hate it when vignettes build up a guy to look really scary and then he gets KTFOed in minutes. 

Gunnar's calm was very unnerving and impressive in the pre-fight vids and then Santiago handed Nelson's jaw to him.  Not sure why Gunnar's gameplan included initiating striking exchanges with a striker.

Yeah, Khalil Roundtree was not standing over Craig to make sure he was okay.  That was not a display of sportsmanship or human concern.

Galore Bofando is one of my new favorite people in the world.  I am not sure if using the disrespectful fighting stance to entice Ward to close distance and subsequently get sumo-ed face first into the mat was Galore's strategy, but it worked out like aces.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

Gunnar's calm was very unnerving and impressive in the pre-fight vids and then Santiago handed Nelson's jaw to him.  Not sure why Gunnar's gameplan included initiating striking exchanges with a striker.

Gunnar had Santiago stunned a few times in a very short timeframe to start off the first round. He clearly, clearly overestimated the amount he was hurt. I believe he thought it was going to be the Jouban fight all over again where he caught the striker, had him hurt bad, and was able to tap him when he was on the ground. But Santiago has shown to be very resilient. That Larkin fight is a good example from a couple years ago is a good example even though he lost. I dunno if he can be a top 5 welterweight since he isn't even the best ATT welterweight on a five fight winning streak at the moment (that would be Colby Covington), but if he had another upset like this, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

31 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Gunnar had Santiago stunned a few times in a very short timeframe to start off the first round. He clearly, clearly overestimated the amount he was hurt. I believe he thought it was going to be the Jouban fight all over again where he caught the striker, had him hurt bad, and was able to tap him when he was on the ground. But Santiago has shown to be very resilient. That Larkin fight is a good example from a couple years ago is a good example even though he lost. I dunno if he can be a top 5 welterweight since he isn't even the best ATT welterweight on a five fight winning streak at the moment (that would be Colby Covington), but if he had another upset like this, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

That level of Welterweight could very well be the most competitive level in all of MMA.  Magny, Ponzinibbio, Masvidal, Covington, Cerrone, Dos Anjos, and Nelson are all really tough dudes who are tough outs for everyone.  If there was some sort of round robin between all of those dudes, I honestly don't know who would win.  They are all well rounded, tough as nails, but they're also all flawed enough that they'll all lose a fight you expected them to win.