DVDVR Message Board

TUF 25: Redemption Finale (7/7/2017) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_Fight_Night_Johnson_vs._Gaethje_Post

TUF 25: Redemption Finale
July 7, 2017
Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Michael Johnson (155) vs. Justin Gaethje (155.75) - Gaethje, TKO (strikes), R2 (4:48)
TUF 25 Welterweight Tournament Final: Dhiego Lima (170.5) vs. Jesse Taylor (171) - Taylor, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (0:43)
Marc Diakiese (154.5) vs. Drakkar Klose (155.5) - Klose, DEC (split)
Jared Cannonier (204) vs. Nick Roehrick (205.5) -  Cannonier, TKO (elbows), R2 (2:08)
Brad Tavares (186) vs. Elias Theodorou (186) - Tavares, DEC (unanimous)
Jordan Johnson (205.5) vs. Marcel Fortuna (205.5) - Johnson, DEC (unanimous)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:
Angela Hill (114.75) vs. Ashley Yoder (115.5) - Hill, DEC (uanimous)
Tom Gallicchio (170) vs. James Krause (170) - Krause, DEC (unanimous)
Ed Herman (205.5) vs. C.B. Dollaway (205) - Dollaway, DEC (unanimous)
Tecia Torres (115) vs. Juliana Lima (115.5) - Torres, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (0:53)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Gray Maynard (145.5) vs. Teruto Ishihara (145) - Maynard, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Tecia Torres
Performance of the Night: Justin Gaethje
Fight of the Night:  Michael Johnson vs. Justin Gaethje

Attendance: 6,308
Gate: $432,495
Rating: 724,000 viewers

Cancelled Bouts:
Juliana Lima vs. Amanda Ribas - Ribas Flagged for Potential USADA Violation 
Jared Cannonier vs. Steve Bossé  - Bossé Withdrew from the Bout
Jessica Eye vs. Aspen Ladd  - Ladd Removed From Bout Due to Illness

Unless Johnson gets cocky after rocking Gaethje (I'm calling in the first minute of round 1), I don't see how he loses. He's just so much better technically and a much better athlete. 

I mean Buscape is just a dude at what was the Blackzilians at that time, and Gaethje was having trouble with him. I dunno how he deals with the best lightweight from that group that was trained by Henri Hooft.

27 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Damn, super bummed to hear that. Hope she recovers quick and lands on another card soon.

Just saw a tweet saying she is in ER from either food poisoning or the flu. I'm pretty sure they'll remake it somewhere down the line.

10 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

This is one of the worst TUF Finale events I can recall in a while.  Rough night.

There were a few ones from when it was still non finalist/semi finalist heavy on the prelims that were WAY worse than this one.

Gaethje vs. Johnson definitely saved what was shaping up to be an awful show.  Impressive win for Gaethje.  Still, if he doesn't learn some better defense and head movement, someone's going to crack that chin eventually.  Johnson has ALWAYS been very beatable.  The dude got submitted by Reza Madadi.

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Gaethje vs. Johnson definitely saved what was shaping up to be an awful show.  Impressive win for Gaethje.  Still, if he doesn't learn some better defense and head movement, someone's going to crack that chin eventually.  Johnson has ALWAYS been very beatable.  The dude got submitted by Reza Madadi.

MJ is a much better fighter than the time he fought Madadi. Gaethje himself is probably one of the most durable fighters ever. It's not even fair that someone is that tough. It's unfathomable that someone is able to take that much punishment is virtually every fight they have and still be able to win. 

Also, I cannot be that down on some who has fought two dudes back-to-back who are what? A combined 40-0 or something close to that? Tell me who is going to come out 2-0 against Khabib and easily one of the toughest fighters we've ever seen in Justin Gaethje. The funny thing is...he clipped both of them. Hell, if Big John wasn't a great referee, he probably would have got a iffy stop against Gaethje when he was sliding around the cage all funny.

Can't we just enjoy a fight of the year (and easily a round of the year candidate) without being a giant buzzkill?

• Like 1