DVDVR Message Board

GFW Slammiversary XV - 7/2/17

Solid show with some pretty good matches. Moose & DeAngelo was fun. Thought the Josh/JB tag showdown was fantastic in the way they did it with random cameos and a definitive ending. Hope it's not one and done for Steiner. Full Metal Mayhem mixed tag was surprisingly short but good stuff with a fast pace, great finish also. Same for EC3/Storm which was well done. Sonjay/Ki was a great showing from both guys and I enjoyed it more than their Impact match.

Loved Sienna/Rosemary with a super exciting finishing stretch. Hate to see Rosemary lose it, two weeks from breaking the record for longest knockouts reign, but I'm glad it was to Sienna who has been a highlight of the shows since the new regime took over. Dug the attempt to block the mist, mist to the hand then used to rake the eyes. Shocked that Rosemary tapped after just getting pinned for the first time 2 weeks ago. Both women rule. Main event was good but not as great as some of the other matches both guys have had in Impact, hated Lashley having to hang there for the finish but a good match overall. Also noticed no HOF announcement this year, but good to see Gail briefly out there again.

Forgot to mention, but awesome to hear the original LAX theme back!

Full results:

*The Latin American XChange (Ortiz & Santana w/ Homicide, Konnan, & Diamante)(c) def. Garza Jr. & Laredo Kid, Naomichi Marufuji & Taiji Ishimori, and Drago & El Hijo del Fantasma (15:20) after the Street Sweeper on Laredo Kid to retain the Impact & Global Force tag team titles. After the match, Konnan cut a promo teasing there would be a new member of LAX and then their takeover would be complete.

*Moose & DeAngelo Williams (w/ Gary Barnidge & Austin Dillon) def. Eli Drake & Chris Adonis (10:43) when Williams pinned Adonis after a top rope splash on a table. The table didn't break so after the match, Moose powerbombed Drake through the table.

*Ethan Carter III def. James Storm (10:42) with a sitout double underhook facebuster after Storm collapsed following ring post shot and had to be helped to the back.

*Backstage, Karen Jarrett & Dutch Mantel talked about being unable to get a hold of Bruce Prichard who was supposed to be here.

*Jeremy Borash & Abyss (w/ Father James Mitchell) def. Josh Mathews & Scott Steiner (11:04) when Abyss pinned Mathews with the Black Hole Slam into thumbtacks after a top rope splash from Borash. Included interference from Shark Boy. James Mitchell returned to transform Joseph Park into the Monster towards the end of the match.

*Eddie Edwards & Alisha def. Davey Richards & Angelina Love (8:43) in Full Metal Mayhem when Eddie pinned Davey after a sunset flip powerbomb off a ladder through a table

*Sonjay Dutt(c) def. Low Ki (18:21) 2 falls to 1 in a 2/3 falls match to retain the X Division Championship

*Sienna(c) def. Rosemary(c) (10:49) via guillotine choke submission to become the Unified Global Force/Impact Wrestling Knockouts Champion. During the match, Laurel Van Ness pulled the ref out when Rosemary had a pin followed by Allie chasing her away with a kendo stick.

*Jeff Jarrett returned to give a thank you speech to the fans.

*Alberto el Patron(c) (w/ Dos Caras & El Hijo del Dos Caras) def. Lashley(c) (w/ King Mo) (18:21) after the diving double stomp to become the Unified Impact Wrestling/Global Force Worlds Heavyweight Champion.

Enjoyed the show-- the hot crowd really helped. Some little things irk me because they're so easy to correct but the people that work there are just too stupid-- change the color of the ropes to gold and black, get the slammi ring aprons all around the ring. So easy. 

Also, they're literally referring to the company now as "GFW/Impact Wrestling". 

Jesus mother of god. Does anyone at all in that company care about brand identity? Or is getting Jarrett's stupid vanity project into the name more important?

• Like 2

GF Wrestling sorta sounds like Jeff Wrestling, so of course he thinks it's better than the brand name his estranged dad might've helped think up. 

If you were wondering who the woman was in the front row with the lucha mask,  it was Paige.   So the rumors of them breaking up was just rumors.   Also smart of her for wearing a mask because given TNA's history with exposing WWE wrestlers at shows it would have been bad.  Unfortunately the internet is a noisy bitch at times

I haven't heard anything from Robert Flores and Don We commentating the PPV so that is good news.  From watching highlights it seemed like they a good job.  Granted the bar was extremely low with current TNA commentary

A couple minor mistakes like Flores referring to Chris Adonis as Chris Masters, but overall I thought they did very well and never took away from the in-ring action. West was good putting over DeAngelo Williams performance strongly as well as the knockouts and the X Division.

Sounds like a good show, but having Rosemary losing the title is bullshit.  Only way I would accept that is if it was her last day and she went right to WWE.  Other than that no thanks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Sounds like a good show, but having Rosemary losing the title is bullshit.  Only way I would accept that is if it was her last day and she went right to WWE.  Other than that no thanks.

and if she went right into a feud with Asuka

She'd also have potential killer matches with Nikki Cross and Ruby Riot right there as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the show over the weekend and gotta say I really enjoyed it. I had a better time watching it than I have watching WWE shows lately. The tag opener was fun. LAX was over with the crowd and their theme is pretty great. EC3 continues to be one of the most entertaining characters on the show. The whole Borash/Parks vs Matthews/Steiner thing was terrible from a wrestling standpoint but awesome from an entertainment view. Loved Shark Boy's cameo. Full Metal Mayhem was fun. I'm not as down on Edwards and Richards as a lot of people, maybe because I didn't see their ROH runs, so I enjoyed what they did. I kinda groaned at the use of thumbtacks in two matches on the same night but once I saw how they were used, it didn't bug me.

Wasn't too high on the women's match. I just don't really get into either wrestler so it didn't do anything for me. Lashley/Patron was there. Not great but not terrible. I just don't care for Patron much. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

I am not sure what makes me sadder:  Rosemary transforming into a tweener in response to the crowd or Roesmary dropping the belt by clean tap out..

Definitely dropping the belt for me.  And reading the spoilers doesn't help her case either.  She's still special even as a tweener, but I'd have kept it on her at least until the next tapings.

• Like 1