DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

32 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

According to the law, Quackenbush owns it.  Shit, the fact that this is the second incarnation of that character probably strengthens Quackenbush's argument.

I was kinda wondering how assigning it to more than one person strengthens the current user's case, lol.

The only muddy waters I see could be that Quack probably never did anything to trademark the gimmick or likeness.  But.... even so, Kevin Condron probably didn't have anything to do with creation either.  Or the decision to bring it back.  Assuming Condron didn't do anything to trademark the name or otherwise assert ownership, Quack has a pretty strong case that the wrestler is simply using the intellectual property the company granted him use of while he was in their employ.

That said, I'm not a fan of the move, though I understand Quack's position if he wants to use the gimmick in Chikara again.  I haven't followed Chikara since the shutdown.  I assume Condron had a falling-out with Quack and left Chikara, but is still using the gimmick elsewhere?

1 hour ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

The only muddy waters I see could be that Quack probably never did anything to trademark the gimmick or likeness.

OSJ or one of our DVDVR legal eagles (whatever happened to Sven Mascarenas?) could speak on this better, but from my limited knowledge and cursory research, you don't necessarily need to file with USPTO to "own" a trademark.  Prior use can be enough.  That's the reason WWE usually changes guys' names.  Even if a worker didn't literally file with USPTO before going to WWE, the company could not then trademark his already-used name and claim full ownership (yes, they can and do TM a preexisting name like CM Punk for merch for the duration of his contract) since he was already using it publicly.  If I started a sex toy shop called Technico's House of Dongs, didn't trademark the name, and, a month later, Horton's House of Dongs opened down the block and tried to trademark "House of Dongs," I'd win the legal fight because I was using the name first even though I didn't file.

It's not any different than WWE giving Kane the Fake Diesel gimmick or putting Hunico in the Sin Cara mask.  It isn't muddy, Chikara created the character.  Current Cottonbelly's best argument would be that Chikara didn't protect their trademark by allowing him to use it on the indies for so long, but that seems to be a stretch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

Well, that took a slightly weird turn.

25 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Just making sure you read it until the end ;)

And you thought dongs would do the trick, huh?

• Like 2

For some reason this makes me think that there has been a fourth little pig all along that the storytellers have left out. Perhaps our society would be less sexually repressed if you pulled back this censorship and reclaimed the fourth pig. "The fourth little pig built his house out of dongs and when the big bad wolf came upon it......"

• Like 3

Anyway, regarding the birth of the nWo, I wasn't a Hulk Hogan fan at that point. I thought he was corny and all that, but when he came out, I still remember having no clue he was going to turn on WCW. I think that's still the biggest and best surprise in all of wrestling. He went from someone I didn't really care about to making me hate him so much in the sense that I felt betrayed and I wasn't even really a fan of the guy anymore. 

And his promo was so fucking good. For years, decades even, Hulk gave the shittiest, white meat babyface promos. It was like all those years of being a babyface lead to so many years of repressed heel-dom getting bottled up only to be let out at that moment. I don't know if it's the best promo of all time, but it sure as hell is up there.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sublime said:

For some reason this makes me think that there has been a fourth little pig all along that the storytellers have left out. Perhaps our society would be less sexually repressed if you pulled back this censorship and reclaimed the fourth pig. "The fourth little pig built his house out of dongs and when the big bad wolf came upon it......"

You'd think these guys would have mentioned the fourth pig and his house of dongs. Maybe there's a follow up coming.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Anyway, regarding the birth of the nWo, I wasn't a Hulk Hogan fan at that point. I thought he was corny and all that, but when he came out, I still remember having no clue he was going to turn on WCW. I think that's still the biggest and best surprise in all of wrestling. He went from someone I didn't really care about to making me hate him so much in the sense that I felt betrayed and I wasn't even really a fan of the guy anymore. 

And his promo was so fucking good. For years, decades even, Hulk gave the shittiest, white meat babyface promos. It was like all those years of being a babyface lead to so many years of repressed heel-dom getting bottled up only to be let out at that moment. I don't know if it's the best promo of all time, but it sure as hell is up there.

Hogan's first nWo promo, and Bret's first promo after turning heel with the Hart Foundation a year later both strike me this way. The guy who says and does the right thing all the time, and then all of a sudden stops doing the right thing, and just spews venom. Loved them both.

• Like 3

I like Bret's better than Hogan's but that's true for pretty much everything. I remember being pretty shocked that Hogan joined the nWo I didn't watch a lot of WCW at the time but would tune in once in a while to see if I could catch anyone I liked but Hogan heel turn and nWo running wild, made me tune in more often for a while for sure. It was an interesting development and Hogan played(?) heel so well that it was a breathe of fresh air in the wrestling world. I think how well it was pulled off is one of the reasons people have been wanting heel Cena the past few years.

I can't look at Hogan's initial nWo stuff without thinking about what Nash said about him being so out of touch and just cutting a cookie cutter Memphis heel promo when they were doing the video packages, and Nash and Hall just kinda rolled their eyes and thought he just didn't get it and was gonna bomb the programme. Luckily the video production guy stepped in and was like, "it's okay, we've got this."

LOL Hogan is ODB to Hall and Nash's ICP.

However, it's a lot better than what the Insane Clown Posse got for their money when they paid ODB $30,000 to record a song. He repaid that investment by showing up and delivering a bunch of nonsensical mumbling, which was eventually edited into four lines that rhymed and released as a song called "Bitches," because who needs standards?

From this article

12 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Hogan's first nWo promo, and Bret's first promo after turning heel with the Hart Foundation a year later both strike me this way. The guy who says and does the right thing all the time, and then all of a sudden stops doing the right thing, and just spews venom. Loved them both.

Yeah, that's a great one too and I didn't think about it at first. Come to think of it, if you compare the too, I feel like Bret was leaps and bounds better as a heel on the mic. Beyond that first promo by Hogan, he didn't really cut any more scathing promos.

Bret on the other hand was spitting hot fire so many times on the mic. I wish there was a YouTube playlist or a WWE Network playlist of all of Bret's heel promos from the "This is BULLSHIT" promo to probably a handful of weeks until he left the company. The other thing about Bret was that while Hogan was ultra slimy, Bret was the most self-righteous heel in the company and that pissed me off way more and wanted me to see Bret get his ass beat more than Hulk. At the same time, I don't think Bret got me to want someone to beat him more than I wanted Sting to beat Hogan.

It's crazy to think of how good storytelling was then and how far off a cliff it has fallen lately. I'll say this much though, the build to Great Balls of Fire has been the best building to a PPV that WWE has done in awhile.

9 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

I can't look at Hogan's initial nWo stuff without thinking about what Nash said about him being so out of touch and just cutting a cookie cutter Memphis heel promo when they were doing the video packages, and Nash and Hall just kinda rolled their eyes and thought he just didn't get it and was gonna bomb the programme. Luckily the video production guy stepped in and was like, "it's okay, we've got this."

Holy shit, I didn't even know about this. Would this have been one of the same guys that just worked on shit like Hogan fighting the Dungeon of Doom, the Dungeon of Doom's vignettes, the White Castle of Fear, etc? Because if so, man, that would be like Klimt finger painting with dog shit to all of sudden becoming the famous artist we're familiar with. 

Like the saying goes, the best heels believe they're right, and Bret was absolutely in the right in his mind, and in his fans' minds, which is what made the dynamic work so insanely well, especially once WWE got smart and started pitting US fans against Canadian fans.  It was crazy to see the differing "hometown" reactions.  

• Like 4

I think another one of the underrated NWO success stories is that they got a really great theme song for the group that didn't sound like anything else in wrestling at the time.

I mean, imagine the group coming out to Chris Benoit's hand-clapping theme

Would have totally ruined the gimmick.

20 minutes ago, caley said:

I think another one of the underrated NWO success stories is that they got a really great theme song for the group that didn't sound like anything else in wrestling at the time.

I mean, imagine the group coming out to Chris Benoit's hand-clapping theme

Would have totally ruined the gimmick.

They probably would've recycled the Hollywood Blond's theme for the nWo. I remember 2 or 3 random midcarders using that theme once the Blonds split. IIRC, Greg Valentine had a really random one off appearance on Nitro in 95 or 96 and used it.

• Like 1