DVDVR Message Board

Your Upcoming Good Stuff On TCM Thread

EdA

I have dozens of unwatched TCM films saved on my DVR going back a couple of years. “This one has Lionel, John, AND Ethel Barrymore?! I gotta see this!” Then my life continues to be a thing I have to participate in instead. 

• Like 1

Same here. I did manage to catch most of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde the other day, so could knock that off the list. Black Sunday might be a delete as I caught the end. Dolemite is staying no matter what. I also put on Dr. Mabuse while trying to take a nap but it started doing beeping noises so turned it off. 

Incidentally, I was intrigued by the prescience of Dr. Mabuse coming out in Germany circa 1933 and being about an evil genius insinuating his way into the minds of people from prison. Sounded familiar...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Watch TCM just added Killer Shrews and Night of the Lepus tonight. 

Also THEM~!.

The magical trinity of Metropolis, Vampyr, and Haxan will be on in the wee hours of 31 October - 1 November.  Set your DVRs.

Edited by J.T.

7 hours ago, J.T. said:

Also THEM~!.

The magical trinity of Metropolis, Vampyr, and Haxan will be on in the wee hours of 31 October - 1 November.  Set your DVRs.

I'll be at work, so vaguely tempted to watch them on the phone. 

• 2 weeks later...

Three Outlaw Samurai and Sword of the Beast are on starting 1 AM Central Monday morning. Tuesday must be Australia Night because THE LAST FUCKING WAVE is playing, AKA the greatest horror movie that nobody says is a horror movie. And then just to back that one up Picnic at Hanging Rock is playing later on. 

EDIT: As someone who had a dream/dreams this morning about drowning in shifting sands followed by being swept away by raging waters followed by being picked up by a tornado, I think watching The Last Wave again is gonna be particularly apt. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 11:06 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Three Outlaw Samurai and Sword of the Beast are on starting 1 AM Central Monday morning.

I DVRed them both.  I have to watch and delete them so that I can clear space for upcoming episodes of Dexter:  New Blood and Blade Runner:  Black Lotus.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

They just added a bunch of Blondie movies to the app.

The name of this thread is Upcoming GOOD Stuff on TCM, man.

Case in point.  Picnic At Hanging Rock comes on tomorrow morning (MY BIRTHDAY~!) at 5:45AM EDT and I will be home to watch it!

To Live & Die in LA comes on this Saturday night @ 10PM EDT!

Edited by J.T.

11 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The name of this thread is Upcoming GOOD Stuff on TCM, man.

Case in point.  Picnic At Hanging Rock comes on tomorrow morning (MY BIRTHDAY~!) at 5:45AM EDT and I will be home to watch it!

To Live & Die in LA comes on this Saturday night @ 10PM EDT!

The last time To Live & Die in LA was on it was blacked out on YouTubeTV and not available on the app, sadly that happens with some movies since YouTubeTV is considered streaming.

And I will be home in time to watch The Last Wave. Or 'catch' I suppose. 

Almost mentioned To Live and Die in LA up there too and dunno why I didn't. It's a great film if you like '80s thriller/noir stuff. The villain is Willem Dafoe, so of course you need to see it.

EDIT: For a minute there I thought it was a Michael Mann picture but it's directed by William Friedkin. Same pedigree I suppose, but could have easily been either man.

Edited by Curt McGirt

Who is responsible for not reminding everyone that The Andromeda Strain came on over the weekend?

I watched Three Outlaw Samurai while eating dinner last night and it was totally great.  I'll probably watch Sword of the Beast tonight.   I need to clear DVR space for the upcoming seasons of Dexter, Condor, and Blade Runner:  Black Lotus.

Edited by J.T.

11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I tried to watch Andromeda Strain but it was bo-ring. 

I am trying hard to remind myself that we're friends.

Seriously though, it is a bit of a slog, but rewarding if you can suffer through Act II.

The novel is absolutely terrifying and far better than the movie.

• Haha 2

I watched the Andromeda Strain trailer last night. It's funny how most of the cast are little known folks.

I saw Richard O'Brien was in it and checked the bio to make sure it was that Richard O'Brien. It is, but get this, his TCM bio doesn't mention Rocky Horror. 

• Like 1