DVDVR Message Board

Guest The Magnificent 7

It's a fun game but when you play against someone online it's hit or miss.  You either have people throwing constant balls trying to get you to swing at them or people rage quitting. I've yet to find anyone with the patience to play a complete game without being a dick and rage quitting.    

I started messing with MLB21 today. I’m not a baseball guy and sports games have mostly gotten way too complex for what I want from them. That said, this lets you tweak things so I’m pretty much only playing my at bats or the games I’m pitching (RttS mode sets you up as a two-way player).

Having fun tooling around as the newest Harrisburg Senators super slugger. The way I have it set up is basically feels like NES RBI baseball with prettier graphics. Exactly what I needed. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just found out there's an upcoming boxing game called ESBC (eSports Boxing Club) and it has something like 150 fighters and more to come. Canelo was announced this week and it looks very much like a spiritual successor to Fight Night.

Website but there are other sites that have an updated roster list.

Talk of an early access on Steam this summer but releases for most consoles to follow.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Konami is killing off Pro Evolution Soccer (Winning Eleven)

It will now be eFootball - a free to play game with a new soccer engine, animations and controls

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Madden 22 EA Play trial installing while at work, and I also got a FIFA 22 Beta code last night. I'll hopefully share some thoughts later this weekend on both.

Both will inevitably infuriate me at some point. It's an annual tradition. 

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

I have the Madden 22 EA Play trial installing while at work, and I also got a FIFA 22 Beta code last night. I'll hopefully share some thoughts later this weekend on both.

Both will inevitably infuriate me at some point. It's an annual tradition. 

That explains why FIFA 21 just went on sale on Steam.  

On 8/12/2021 at 6:30 PM, Tabe said:

That explains why FIFA 21 just went on sale on Steam.  

At this point, it's better to just use a base level play subscription to play it as opposed to buying it because I believe it's already in the vault.

• Like 1

Madden 22 is out today.  I'm looking forward to it.  Haven't played a Madden game since 2003-ish.  Nothing against the franchise.  I'm a huge sports fan, but esports have never done much for me.  My sports game purchases over the past 15 years have mostly been limited to auto racing games and the occasional UFC/WWE pickup.  I did go back and buy the last couple years of NCAA Football and NCAA Basketball earlier this year.

Anyway. going to pick up the major sports franchises this year since it's the first year on a new gen.  I know Madden gets a lot of flack, but it looks pretty darn entertaining to me.  

Madden is what it's going to be at this point (same for NBA2K) people get annoyed with the animations which are predetermined but that's just the nature of the game. I still love playing them and the more I watched football and actually learned what the plays are and how they work, the game just made more sense to me.

With that said, it's going to be buggy as shit for a few weeks because it always is.

• 3 weeks later...

I have replaced a lot of time I was spending online with... uh... obsessively playing Out of the Park baseball again. It still absolutely owns, easily my favourite sports sim of all time. The last OOTP I own is 2018 so the '17 Blue Jays start in a fucking weird position where they were a playoff team but Bautista is about to fall off a cliff and some shithead gave Troy Tulowitzki like 3 billion dollars for a million years to be the 28th best shortstop in baseball by the end of that season, and literally no computer GM will take him off your hands.

I sign all the pitchers. My hitting comes and goes like a summer breeze. I'm up to 2019 so on my 3rd season. I'm thinking about whether to just engage the DH in the NL for 2020 and end this stupid nonsense, or wait until the next CBA year in real life when it probably happens for good.

• 3 weeks later...

Because I can, and because I found out there's a tool for creating your own OOTP logos, I expanded MLB to 36 teams. Mainly so I could get the Expos into the AL east to feud with the Blue Jays but then you need to even out the divisions so welcome Montreal, Vancouver Howling Wolves, Indianapolis Fireballs, Las Vegas Lions, Nashville Broncos, and the Carolina Blue Sox.

Image ImageImageImage

Listen I know I am no pro artist but the fact even my dumb ass can make these is neat, I guess. And yes that's the MGM Grand lion because the idea of a gambling institution owning a MLB team is very funny to me. If you actually go looking for real OOTP custom team logo art some of the shit people are pumping out is awesome.

For the expansion draft I used a rule set where each team could protect 18 players, 3 years or less pro service automatically protected, each team can lose no more than 6 players, and it worked really well. Two of the expansion teams hung around .500 most of the year and none of them pulled a Cleveland Spiders or anything.

• Like 1

Here's some of my OOTP usual names.

Indianapolis Racers

Philadelphia Freedom (Yes, I'm old, why do you ask?)

Las Vegas High Rollers

San Francisco Gold Sox 

Detroit Iron

now that the regular season is over, we should do a mini-OOTP league or something.

11 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

Here's some of my OOTP usual names.

Indianapolis Racers

Philadelphia Freedom (Yes, I'm old, why do you ask?)

Las Vegas High Rollers

San Francisco Gold Sox 

Detroit Iron

now that the regular season is over, we should do a mini-OOTP league or something.

Philadelphia Freedom is awesome.

In most of the sim leagues I've been in over the years I usually stick with either the Fargo-Moorhead Freeze or the Helena Handbaskets.

• 2 weeks later...

EA is supposedly looking at a new name for their soccer franchise, dropping the FIFA license. FIFA supposedly is asking for $250m a year in fees among other issues. 

13 hours ago, Tabe said:

EA is supposedly looking at a new name for their soccer franchise, dropping the FIFA license. FIFA supposedly is asking for $250m a year in fees among other issues. 

FIFA apparently wants to limit what EA makes on Ultimate Team too, which making FUT less of a money sink is not necessarily a bad thing.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tabe said:

And it's official, sort of.  FIFA apparently wants to license themselves to multiple games so they may still partner with EA:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/esports/fifa-and-ea-sports-to-end-exclusivity-partnership-after-three-decades/ar-AAPFrhJ?li=BB15ms5q

I kind of hope Playstation Studios takes a stab at the license and utilizes some of what works with MLB The Show.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Raziel said:

To be honest, The Show has been slowly trending toward what makes EA money the past couple iterations...

2K basically looked at what EA has done and said "hold my beer" these last 3-4 years. 

• Like 1