DVDVR Message Board

Guest The Magnificent 7

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Just at twitter thread where Eddie Kingston's rants about the state of Madden

I dumbly bought it this year after playing it through EA Play earlier but thought the next gen update would be fine. 

It's horrendously bad.  Everything looks and feels clunky.

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

I dumbly bought it this year after playing it through EA Play earlier but thought the next gen update would be fine. 

It's horrendously bad.  Everything looks and feels clunky.

The first Madden of every new generation is terrible.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish there was a mode on sports games(MLB the show 19 , I'm looking at you!) to mute the damn color guys and just have the play by play. Call it "old school mode" or what ever. I love the game, but Dan plesac and Mark De Rosa are almost indistinguishable to me and both are annoying.

34 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Per Darren Rovell - the target date for the first game in 2023

I guess I didn't read the article very well.  I assumed it was releasing this fall.

I'm already lined up at Gamestop.  Boy, is my face red.

On the plus side, we'll hopefully have real football with packed stadiums by then.

EA is looking to go that route but left an opening if the name and likeness stuff gets passed later on.

I remember folks would have the full kits and rosters ready for the Winning Eleven series back in day since EA had the licenses for all of the domestic soccer leagues

I believe it was the historical teams that got EA in trouble with the lawsuits right? 

• 3 weeks later...

Notre Dame has announced that they will be "opting out" of the new game (ie: not providing name, logo, etc...) until the NIL rules are finalized

(NIL = Names, Images, Likenesses)

It is not a sure thing they will participate AFTER those rules are finalized but they are definitely not participating now

I hadn't played a Madden game in YEARS until a few weeks ago.  I downloaded Madden 20 since I have gamepass; I figured what the hell.  Played one game and then uninstalled.  There's just nothing more for me in Madden games.  I came up with Madden from the beginning (shit, from before that, with stuff like 10 Yard Fight and, before that, whatever Atari or Colecovision had.  So growing up with these games, the whole point year after year was "let's get this year's game to see what they've added to make it closer to real football!"  You bought each iteration of Madden to see how they were improving it.  Now there's nothing else to add, so they're just updating rosters, adding in celebrity involvement or whatever, and other dumb stuff I have no need for.  This is a long rambling post to just give one guy's perspective of how sports games can get too close to the real thing, too simmy or whatever, and just get boring and useless. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Tiger Woods has signed a "long term partnership" with PGA Tour 2K

Nothing beyond that is really known besides that the PGA Tour 2K franchise gets his name and likeness exclusively

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been a stathead for a long time. 

The 80s and 90s were my prime years interest-wise for sports. 

Getting older and losing most of the friends I ran with for sports had a lot to do with my disinterest. 

Last week I got the urge to play a baseball game, so I checked out the upcoming games. 

My research hasn't yielded good results. 

RBI 21 has numerous graphical glitches that take me out of the game and I feel that simming with it would probably be a bad experience. 

OutOf The Park 22 has too much munutiae and I feel it would be hard for me to pick up. 

The last OOTP I bought was 17 and I barely played that one. 

With MLB The Show coming out next month, I'm not certain that's going to scratch my baseball itch either. 

Too much Ultimate Team gatcha crap with their recent releases. 

09 was the last The Show I truly enjoyed. 

TLDR: I'm old and don't enjoy things like I did previously. 

EA has announced they are bringing back PGA Tour

EA has the licensing agreement with the PGA so expect everyone but Tiger Woods

No word what year the game will actually come out

10 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

EA has announced they are bringing back PGA Tour

EA has the licensing agreement with the PGA so expect everyone but Tiger Woods

No word what year the game will actually come out

Sounds like the increase in interest for Golf due to COVID and societal boredom made them go "oh, yeah, we should do something again."

I know they patched it a ton, but Rory PGA wasn't too bad and is a fun thing to play on my XB1 from time to time.

So the team that made the 2K golf game was supposed to make the last EA golf game but it got cancelled so they just released it on their own for a couple years until 2K picked them up and got the licensing. 

It'll be interesting to see how the EA game turns out. Also someone needs to come up with a halfway decent face scan app for these sports games.

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

Sony, Sony, Sony. What are you doing?

It’s going to be on Game Pass, so it’s not free to everyone, but still....

They're going get a large amount from Microsoft for it being on Game Pass, in addition to actual Microsoft sales, in a year when they can't expect it to push a lot of PS5 console sales since they're still dealing with the console shortages.

3 hours ago, blitzkrieg said:

They're going get a large amount from Microsoft for it being on Game Pass, in addition to actual Microsoft sales, in a year when they can't expect it to push a lot of PS5 console sales since they're still dealing with the console shortages.

I mostly meant the optics of charging customers full price for the game while Microsoft makes it “free” to Game Pass subscribers.  Not great PR.  I actually think it’s a sound business decision, though MLB supposedly made the call to put the game on other platforms.

• 4 weeks later...