DVDVR Message Board

NJPW 2017 G1 Climax 27

Raziel

5 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

How is that a defense?  Obviously, I couldn't shine JR's hat on my best day and his worst, but as someone that's done announcing, I was appalled at the lack of professionalism and preparedness from JR on that broadcast.  I'm actually surprised he's being kept around,.

Sarcasm.  I wasn't actually trying to defend him.  I'm no JR fan these days.

So there isn't English language commentary for all nights of the G1? that's disappointing. I've tried the Japanese commentary, but just can't do it. Maybe thats an improvement they can make for next year

Y'all, Juice Robinson has the best face in wrestling.  And he just never. Stops. Using it.  All you need to do to have a great match with him is put him in holds and let him react.  And smartly, that's pretty much what Okada did.   He had to do about 75% less in this match than he did against Sanada, because he knows Juice can make the inbetween bits great.

About 3 minutes left in the match, they hit the point where everybody else in the company does the back-and-forth Fighting Spririt strike exchange, except...Juice doesn't.  He turns it down.  Okada throws strikes, Juice throws facial expressions back at him, slowly building up to hitting ONE big leg lariat that turns the match in his favor.  

When it's all said and done, that's probably a Top 10 moment in this tournament.

I think Juice has a strong argument for best in the world for the month of July.  And it's a pretty strong indictment against WWE developmental that they couldn't do anything with this guy.

Managed to get two more matches watched this evening;

ZSJ/Tanahashi-didnt think I'd like this going into it because I felt a bit underwhelmed by ZSJ in the cruiserweight tournament last year but this was a great match. Tanahashi sold his ass off and made Sabre look great, his submissions come off as a real threat. I'd definitely watch a rematch for the IC title.

Juice/Kojima- favourite match of the G1 so far. Both men hit hard. This is only my 2nd time seeing Kojima and I want to see more. Juice is awesome, ill have to watch more of him to get into discussion with the rest of you guys. 

• Like 1

just watched the first three tournament matches from Day 10, feeling a bit tired and sun-boiled from a long ramble

Yano-EVIL didn't go long and featured like 1 move and some shenanigans 1/2*

Suzuki-Tonga just a long dumb listless brawl that I hated. Suzuki LVP for this G1 so far. DUD

SANADA-Elgin roped me in eventually though the 'invite them back into ring' spot early in the match was a bit of a chore. when they started busting the movez out I was back in the room. ***1/2

hope the last two matches pull it back. will watch tomorrow night.

Sadly, but not suprisingly, Kojima has been mathmatically eliminated from the tourny.  Nagata is eliminated with another loss.  It's not shocking, but I imagine they'll play spoiler on the last block days, it's very unlikely they don't get at least 2 points a piece.

Omega/Kojima was a bit of a dud for me.  It was a good idea in theory (Omega comes out in house show mode, just fucking with Kojima and finds himself in a real fight), but in practice, the early part of the match is pretty listless and incoherent and then, suddenly, Omega goes straight to the top shelf, hitting the cross-legged superplex for...what reason, exactly?  Just a weird, abrupt escalation out of nowhere.  And the match doens't build much momentum from there.

Omega has had a very helter skelter tournament so far.

• Like 1

The story would've worked more if Kojima actually landed his top shelf stuff (like the Cutter and Lariat) and got a couple close near falls before Omega panicked and started hitting the death stuff.  I get what they were going for, but it didn't work out right. 

• Like 1

I've fallen behind the last week (on the Thursday show) but I must say that though he's still very rough around the edges, Kitamura gets "it". He's going to be so awesome once he becomes more fluid. Being a young lion doesn't really suit him, so I hope he goes on his excursion relatively early. I mean, I generally don't want athletes doing irreparable harm to their bodies with substance abuse but fuck it. LOOK AT HIM.

And as far as Suzuki goes, this is his MO and has been forever afaik. He'll show up when he wants to but he is just the dirt worst when he's not in the right mood. I honestly don't know if he's worth the cost of protecting him for his one title challenge a year. I loved him in UWF but I just can't get on the Suzuki train all the way like most.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Omega has had a very helter skelter tournament so far.

He certainly hasn't had, to use his own words, a G1 worth of best bout performances. He does still have Evil and Juice, though, who have been very good, plus Okada, and maybe someone in the finals. So I think it's reasonable to expect his best is to come. Even still, I think he's got the best matches of the tournament from Suzuki, Yano, Tama, and Elgin. (Juice and Okada were both better against Kojima.)

Hah, so I rip on Suzuki and then I watch him vs. EVIL and loved it so much. Him flipping out when Evil tried to do the throat slash was fucking perfect. And he was one step ahead until the faction warfare stuff, which I think has worked extremely well both times (so far?). Huge win for EVIL. He is going to be really really fucking good. 

I think I may have actually liked SANADA/Yano more than Omega/Yano. Sanada trying to foil all of Yano's tricks was a nice touch and the finish had me laughing hard. The Sanada just casually walks by him like Yano doesn't even exist. Perfect. 

Words cannot describe how much I love this tournament. 

I love Suzuki and of the 20 guys in the field he's probably in my top...2? I'm doing a little blog project going through all of UWF 2 and he's just turned up with Funaki and it's brilliant. The range in his work from in-a-bubble shoot-style 20 minuters to actual shoots to comedy matches to pretty much any style you can think of is not matched by many. His 2012 match with Tanahashi is in my lifetime top 20. And I totally dig that a 49 year old should protect their body and not try for MOTY every night. I just hate the interference and think that this particular kind of brawling is not his strong point. Surely doing a load of stretches and then taking a few comeback bumps has got to be better for a person than getting hurled through some chairs. The Kenny match didn't work me but I don't blame that on Suzuki. He's got Okada in Suzuki's home town (they did this in 2014 and it was great) plus Kojima and Elgin so I do think he has the chance to pull it back. People always remember stronger finishers too. Remember thinking Kenny didn't do that much last year then his last 2-3 matches were all bonkers and great. Just talking here, talking, talking...

On 7/29/2017 at 0:54 PM, Ace said:

For fun, you can try to find @Michael Sweetser or I on camera. You'd only see me on Day 2, though,

Me too! (not that anyone knows my identity) 

i3eLl.gif

I've also been out of town and trying feverishly to get caught up. Let me just say that BIG MIKE and Kenny was incredible. I also dig the face turn for LIJ as a whole. 

• Like 1

I think LIJ are more tweeners than faces. It seems to depend on the city they're in though. NJPW has a spectrum of factions, 

Solidly Face: Taguchi Japan

Almost completely face: CHAOS (but Okada is arrogant, and Yano is a (lovable) cheater

Tweener: LIJ

Mix of Tweener and Heel: BC (The Elite are pretty much Tweeners leaning face more and more)

Solidly Heel: Suzuki-Gun

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sublime said:

Solidly Heel: Suzuki-Gun

I think my favorite thing about this is that Suzuki's content to do all manner of heel shit once the bell rings--he couldn't care less if he doesn't get a single cheer--but you better still clap along to his entrance and belt out kaze ni nare. Think of him what you want, but you will respect his music. (This strikes me as an entirely reasonable demand, fwiw.)

• Like 3