DVDVR Message Board

Your Wrestlers RIP Thread

Pete

Principe Aereo ,a 26 year old Mexican wrestler died of a heart attack during a match last night

From PWInsider

Principe Aereo (real name Luis Ángel Salazar) at the age of 26 years old after he suffered an apparent heart attack in the ring while performing for Mexa Wrestling tonight at Arena San Juan Pantitlan in Mexico City.

Aereo collapsed after taking two chops to the chest and waiting for his opponent to rebound off the ropes for their next spot, falling to the mat.  Within a minute of him collapsing, he was being strapped to a back board by EMTs and rushed to the back for medical attention.  MasLucha.com reported that he was treated by the Athletic Commission Doctor and rushed to the local hospital, but sadly passed away.  

Aereo had been wrestling since 2010, working in Mexico for smaller promotions including IWRG and Mexa, but did work for AAA in 2019 as well as earlier this year.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lucha promoter, merchandise dealer and occasional poster/friend of the board Mike Mindless passed away this afternoon. He'd been in a bad way for a few weeks... just a shitty way to go out. RIP.

• Sad 2

Got to know Tracy pretty well when he worked here in Pittsburgh mostly teaming with Chris Hamrick.  Tracy was always great to be around, always remembered me and asked about my family. I have the shirt he is wearing with him and the confederate flag behind him actually. Might wear it tomorrow in his honor.  Very sad to hear of his passing.  

On 11/7/2020 at 5:40 AM, odessasteps said:

Did I miss anyone mentioning Teijo Khan passing away? 

I just heard Zellner and Naylor talking about that on their podcast (shout-out to Cover 2 Cover) and came over here to check the same thing.  As far as I can tell, he passed away back in April, but nothing has been mentioned until now.  

Edited by Evil Otto

4 hours ago, hammerva said:

Anybody who has followed indie wrestling in the DMV understand this impact.  He was one of those pillars of Maryland Championship Wrestling.  Hell it wouldn't surprise me if he was still wrestling in the last 2 years 

God fucking damnit.  I know he was battling Leukemia and was out for quite some time.  Heck, last Joppa show I went to they had a huge board where you could write get-well-soon message and there was hardly space to write due to all that took part.

As for the impact he had I'm sure MCW will go on once things ease up with COVID.  But considering he was the cornerstone of MCW it will never be the same.  From wrestling there since the start to chatting with families before every show everybody loved the big fella.  Damn this sucks.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

Meltzer actually had a nice little write up about Bruiser in this week's WON

Richard Joseph “R.J.” Meyer, better known as The Bruiser, the fixture and long-time top star of MCW (formerly Maryland Championship Wrestling), passed away on 11/16 after a battle with AML leukemia, the fastest spreading version of the disease. It’s a different version than the strain Roman Reigns has had twice, in the sense Meyer needed a bone marrow transplant and his strain is treated with chemotherapy and CML, the type Reigns had, is not treated with chemotherapy and has a far better recovery rate, but also can recur later. He was only 44. Meyer began wrestling as Reggie Carrington in 1997, but took on the name The Bruiser in 1998 and won the first of his ten MCW championships the next year. He also was a four-time tag team champion. Most of his career was spent with MCW as well as other Northeastern based independents, but also had a 2002 run as a headliner for an NWA Hawaii promotion. He won his last MCW title in 2018 when his career largely ended. He was billed as 6-foot-3 and 297 pounds, a powerful looking guy with a good physique. He once held the MCW tag titles with Jerry Lawler, who he also wrestled on a few occasions. Other big names he worked with included King Kong Bundy, Kevin Nash, Iron Sheik, Axl Rotten, Joey Mercury, Lio Rush, Abyss and Shane Douglas. Bruiser was a believable top star for the promotion that would draw 800 to 1,200 fans regularly during its heyday and he had a lot of physical matches. He was billed as a former Baltimore Sun Athlete of the Year. He was a three-sport athlete at Loch Raven High School and his obituary listed him as Baltimore Sun athlete of the year in 1994, but a listing of Sun athlete of the year winners doesn’t have his name. He may have been nominated but not the winner. He was the first student at the Maryland Championship Wrestling Training Center and later became a coach and trainer at the school

• Thanks 1

Texas/Oklahoma indy wrestler Michael Faith passed away this past Tuesday at the age of 46, from COVID as well. He also had a brief run as The Samoan Beast in Booker's ROW in 2013-2014 where he held their heavyweight title.

Sal Acosta, who worked in Inspire Pro in Texas as "Massive", passed away back in August at the age of 41.

Also don't think it was mentioned but Ric Drasin, who wrestled/promoted/trained throughout the 70s/80s/90s and designed the Golds Gym logo, passed away in August at the age of 76. Always enjoyed his old Afterbuzz TV RAW recaps back in like 2010. 

A lot of you are too young to remember my on-line feuding with Bob Ryder. I can't say that I liked the guy, but he was a worthy opponent and did a lot for wrestling. R.I.P., my old nemesis, you were one of a kind and the IWC has been poorer for your absence.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Pete said:

Oof.

To follow up on this - from the WON online story

Bob Ryder, who was one of the founders of TNA Wrestling and still worked for Impact Wrestling more than 18 years later, was found dead today by police at his home in Nashville.

Ryder, who has battled cancer for years, had not attended a live show in a long time due to intense chemotherapy.

Ryder suffered a fall yesterday and was unable to get up, but apparently texted people that he was okay. But after that, no phone calls or text messages to him were answered. The company sent someone who knew him to his home and knocked on the door and got no response. They then called police and found that he had passed away.