DVDVR Message Board

Great Balls of Fire 2017

The Natural

I really liked Brock Lesnar vs. Samoa Joe, had a big match feel to it. The Uranage through the table, Joe’s attempts to lock the Coquina Clutch including switching his grips, nice touch that and Brock turned out of it into the F5 for the win. I’d prefer the match going longer.

I preferred Braun Strowman vs. Roman Reigns from Payback to the ambulance match here. May have to give it a second go through.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, maciej said:

Sasha Banks is such a terrific professional wrestler.

This.

Bayley’s best match…vs. Sasha Banks at NXT TakeOver, Respect, 7th October 2015.

Charlotte Flair’s best match…vs. Sasha Banks on RAW, 28th November 2016.

Becky Lynch’s best match…vs. Sasha Banks at NXT TakeOver: Unstoppable, 20th May 2015.

Alexa Bliss’ best match…vs. Sasha Banks from Great Balls of Fire 2017, 9th July 2017.

There’s a pattern here.

With any luck the cheap finish which I didn’t mind because I enjoyed the match so will lead to the rematch at SummerSlam.

Sasha Banks and Alexa Bliss legit don’t like one another?

• Like 2

Watching Raw Talk: While it would be well beneath her talents, Sasha doing a wrestling messageboard hipster gimmick would be pretty funny. "Oh you were a fan of Team Extreme, that's cool, but I was a fan of the Hardys when they were managed by Michael Hayes, bet you don't remember that. Do you have a VHS of Matt's debut against Nikolai Volkoff? Didn't think so."

Maybe Bayley could take up that gimmick, not like she's doing anything better.

Also on the pre-show, Neville slowly walking to the timekeeper's area doing the "give me my belt" gesture while the ref was dangling it behind him was hilarious.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

This was one of those shows where the heels all won, right? I guess Heath Slater won, off screen, and Sasha won by count out, but Alexa kept the belt.

I know WCW did this all the time, but how often does WWE give us all heel everything?

9 Matches (including pre-show)

5 heels straight up won

1 heel lost via countout (of her own choosing) but retained her title

1 face won but was a heel to the crowd (and might have officially turned heel too)

1 face won but the match wasn't shown

1 match had two guys who are booked as heels but the crowd treats them both as faces

3 hours ago, piranesi said:

I thought Enzo's last two promos including tonight have been fantastic. I wish they would just make him Capt. Lou.2 already.

His promo tonight was absolutely fantastic, one of the best I've seen in a while. I thought he was a decent talker, but I worried he was all catchphrases. Nope. He nailed it.

I was mildly amused by the Broken Matt stuff, but watching the Team Extreme Hardys go 30 minutes in 2017 was kinda painful. The match was well laid out and Cesaro is just a machine, but Matt and Jeff just look like beat down old men. 

Sasha/Alexa was really good and the finish was fine considering this is the of Sunday Specials and the old PPVS being important model is well dead. 

Miz/Ambrose was a snooze, but Bo Dallas continues to entertain.

Rollins/Bray...why...just why should I care about this?

Strowman/Reigns was a fun slugfest, but man the sight of Reigns just flying into the ambulance was looney toons hilarious. The post match thing was a bit much and with anyone else would be a for sure double turn, but with the Big Dog who can say?

There was a moment when Brock was throwing knees and Joe then took him down and it seemed like it was going to be booked more like a legit shoot and might become something special...then Suplex City. Meh. 

I enjoyed Neville/Tozawa, but the finish didn't work on that particular night. Personally, I thought it was a smart finish and leads to an inevitable rematch (or 5, considering how 205Live is booked), but the announcers didn't convey well enough what was happening.

Really liked Bliss/Banks but is that a good finish for a PPV, even a "B-level" one? Sometimes I feel the WWE purposefully tries to chase their fans away.

Lesnar/Joe was good but ended flat...again. Story of the night. Maybe if Brock had another move to escape AND THEN hit the F5 it wouldn't have felt the way it did.

I missed the rest of the show and will catch up later in the week...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

Would this not be the other way around, as Braun was technically a heel before the match?

Yeah I don't know why I was thinking Roman won

So that's 6 matches where the heel straight up won

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

I enjoyed Neville/Tozawa, but the finish didn't work on that particular night. Personally, I thought it was a smart finish and leads to an inevitable rematch (or 5, considering how 205Live is booked), but the announcers didn't convey well enough what was happening.

Vic Joseph is no Young Boy Tom

As per usual the announcing was terrible all show highlighted by Booker and JBL (WHO WASNT EVEN ON THE SHOW!) fighting over the street address of the Sportatorium

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

As per usual the announcing was terrible all show highlighted by Booker and JBL (WHO WASNT EVEN ON THE SHOW!) fighting over the street address of the Sportatorium

Is it because Steph and Hunter and Vince and everyone else is yelling in their ears TELLING them what to say, instead of them getting a chance to call the action and tell the stories? In NXT, Corey Graves used to be really good and getting into the nuances of matches and explaining how injuries, etc. were effecting the matches as they carry on...now it's just HASHTAG DOT COM TRENDING UNIVERSE!

• Like 1

Brock wins....see ya in four months....oh...and I took your top title with me...again.

Put me in the "fuck off Brock Lesnar" camp.

The rest of the show was ok. The ambulance stuff was hokey but hey, WWE is gonna WWE, and they got the double turn they were looking for.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

You just know that the graphic designers are being yelled at this morning and told to "FIX THIS."

19894634_444860089229419_670959300386832

What's your name again?

Collin Cassady.

Collin Cassady. You *are* the Assman.

No! I'm not the Assman.

Well, as far as the state of New York is concerned, you are.

• Like 6

I missed the first hour, but I loved what I saw. I'd go as far to say this was the best WWE ppv this year, maybe longer.

Loved the women's match. Both got nice pops from the (typically hot) Dallas crowd.

After the main, the tag title match was my favorite. Very physical, and they played the clock well.

Joe looked like the killer he is (even got a little "Joe is gonna kill you" chant). I'm not sure keeping the strap on Brock is the right move. I'm waiting on the next challenger to interrupt Paul when he gets to the "reigning, DEFENDING" part.

Braun-Reigns worked for me, and both guys came out looking super strong.

Fun show.

The thing that'll hurt Joe the most is not so much the result but how little reaction the Coquina Clutch got from the crowd.

Not sure if they just didnt buy Joe winning like that or just saw it as another sleeper spot/three arm drop spot rather than a legit "holy shit, he could choke him out here and now" point that they'd built up to for weeks now. 

Chances are he goes back to his shitty uranage finish tonight and becomes another guy