DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2019 and Beyond

That Hulk/Iron Man fight is still my favorite fight in any comic movie ever.

And I never understand the people that think Ultron was a bad villain. I thought he was one of the very best. Sardonic, evil, a perfect blend of Tony's self-loathing and ego and quips to hide his insecurity mixed with Banner's rage and hatred of humanity he always keeps just barely supressed. Easily the best written MCU villain, and pretty well performed given the CGI nature.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

That Hulk/Iron Man fight is still my favorite fight in any comic movie ever.

And I never understand the people that think Ultron was a bad villain. I thought he was one of the very best. Sardonic, evil, a perfect blend of Tony's self-loathing and ego and quips to hide his insecurity mixed with Banner's rage and hatred of humanity he always keeps just barely supressed. Easily the best written MCU villain, and pretty well performed given the CGI nature.

Because we're supposed to hate Whedon quips now, and absolutely must hate all CGI, or something like that.

On 3/28/2019 at 12:57 PM, J.T. said:

Dudes are refugees in the MCU.  Baby face status for life.

Between Ronan, Korvath, and Yon-Rogg, the Kree are solidly in the interstellar heel pool for the MCU along with Sovereigns.

Its already been pointed out by Feige himself, that the Skrulls are broken up into many groups, not all of them are just refugees looking for a new, safe home.

Outside of Mar-Vell are there many good Kree in the comics?

20 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Its already been pointed out by Feige himself, that the Skrulls are broken up into many groups, not all of them are just refugees looking for a new, safe home.

Outside of Mar-Vell are there many good Kree in the comics?

Yes. Certainly more babyface Kree overall over the years than babyface Skrulls. 

58 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Hulk vs. Iron Man wasnt great. Shattered glass and terrified people in danger in populated area. Iron Man should have brought the fight away from the city.

A fair criticism of that fight scene would be that it obviously was a reaction to MoS, given how much of it focused on Tony trying to get Hulk away from people. I mean, that literally was what the fight was built around.

• Like 1

Eh I love Winter Soldier,  I love Black Panther, I love GOTG,  I love Infinity War,  I even loved the first Avengers even though I dislike Whedon.   But Age of Ultron is just a bad movie all around. There's a few others in the MCU too.  For the most part out of 20+ movies I have very few complaints.  Age of Ultron..  everything from the script to the CGI to the way characters interacted with one another to the villain and the way the introduction of other characters was handled...  hated it all. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

A fair criticism of that fight scene would be that it obviously was a reaction to MoS, given how much of it focused on Tony trying to get Hulk away from people. I mean, that literally was what the fight was built around.

I was just watching the Smallville fight scene the other day.  Superman is flying around trying to save soldiers and shit and he's clearly outmatched at this point by the Kryptonians, he's never been in a fight like that before...  he's doing everything I'd expect from Superman with saving people around him while trying to figure out how to handle this new enemy.  It's perfect. 

That fight, the ending fight where Sokovia is a floating rock, and the beginning of Civil War with Crossbones were all to set up the Sokovia Accords. So they had a reason for that to happen.

• Like 1

My problems with Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015).

Quite the step down in quality from its predecessor, Avengers Assemble (2012). I still rate Avengers Assemble as the best MCU Movie.

Captain America: Civil War (2016) and Avengers: Infinity War (2018) do a better job from plot to balancing a bigger cast and time management than Avengers: Age of Ultron. 

I prefer Captain America: Civil War as an Avengers sequel to the one we got in A:AoU.

Black Widow/Hulk storyline. 

Design choices. Costumes: Cap's is too busy, Iron Man's is too sleek and Black Widow sports her worst look. Wasn't keen on one of Ultron's designs either.

Quips didn't hit the mark. The language one, too long.

---

My three most disappointing MCU movies are Iron Man 2 (2010), Iron Man 3 (2013) and Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

The things I did like from Avengers: Age of Ultron:

Stan Lee's cameo is one of his most memorable. 

The party sequence with Mjolnir. 

Hulk vs. Hulkbuster.

Peggy Carter and Falcon brief appearances.

Edited by The Natural

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Final act as well.

44 minutes ago, The Natural said:

My problems with Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015).

I'll take a jab at a couple of these. Hope you don't mind, mate.

Quite the step down in quality from its predecessor, Avengers Assemble (2012). I still rate Avengers Assemble as the best MCU Movie.

Unfavourable comparison with a near perfect example of the genre isn't really a criticism, is it?

Captain America: Civil War (2016) and Avengers: Infinity War (2018) do a better job from plot to balancing a bigger cast and time management than Avengers: Age of Ultron. 

Is Civil War a fair comparison? A lot of characters operated at the margins there, but it benefited from a razor-focused Cap story. Is that the same as balancing a cast in an Avengers movie? Do I give them credit for bringing Spidey, Clint, and Ant-Man in for a hot minute to make this appear to be a more star-studded affair than it really was? 

Speaking of the difficulty of balancing a big cast, there's a lot of major characters that get short shrift in Infinity War. Cap, Natasha, Banner, anyone in Wakanda, etc. Great movie, but dismissing AoU for its failures to balance its cast and time while putting this on the pedestal? It's not as easy a case as you're eager to make. 

I prefer Captain America: Civil War as an Avengers sequel to the one we got in A:AoU.

Once again, is unfavourable criticism with one of the greats a genuine reason to consign AoU to the trash heap? 

Black Widow/Hulk storyline. 

I'll grant you that you've hit on a divisive issue and one that many fans come down against. I personally think it's one of the strengths of AoU and perhaps Whedon's best contribution to the MCU. Using the seductive Russian spy who knows how to work people to keep Banner's volatile asset in check is such a great choice and opens up a lot of interesting dynamics for both characters. I probably enjoyed this more than whatever they'll do with Natasha's solo movie. 

I'd go as far as to say I hope these two get a beat to acknowledge this story in Endgame. Not too long. Keep it under ninety seconds to keep nerd rage to a minimum. But if this is about the original six primarily, this can't go unacknowledged. Even Waititi seems to understand that. 

Design choices. Costumes: Cap's is too busy, Iron Man's is too sleek and Black Widow sports her worst look. Wasn't keen on one of Ultron's looks either.

I have no dog in this fight. Pass. 

Quips didn't hit the mark. The language one, too long.

Personal taste, but okay. It's on-brand for both Whedon and Marvel, and I've long since developed the stomach for it. 

Does part of your distaste for cosmic MCU stem from the heavy quipiness in the Gaurdians flicks?

Sorry for the multi-quotes. You seem to take your Marvel flicks seriously, so I thought it'd be fun to probe. ? 

• Like 1

You can't discuss a single Marvel movie without bringing some bullshit DC reference into it. It's abundantly clear what your angle is in all of these discussions and I'm not even the first person to call you out on it.

By the way, saying Thor 2 isn't bad is at least not some hyperbolic crap. I also said it's not exactly good either and explained pretty well and clearly what my feelings about the movie were.

Edit: I also have never put you on ignore, especially for your opinions on wrestling. We just disagree with movie shit like run of the mill nerds.

Oh wait, is this about the Sasha stuff? Yeah, that's definitely a WNBB thing.

Edited by Craig H

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

You can't discuss a single Marvel movie without bringing some bullshit DC reference into it. It's abundantly clear what your angle is in all of these discussions and I'm not even the first person to call you out on it.

It's probably numerous people but that's fine   Also,  that first part is not true.  I've had nothing bad at all to say about several Marvel movies,  not even just the ones I mentioned earlier,  I love the Ant-Man movies too.   I also hate Suicide Squad and Justice League.   I don't defend those pieces of garbage come on. 

After watching Captain Marvel I would break the MCU down into these tiers:  

Hall of Fame Level

-Black Panther

-Captain America Winter Soldier 

-Avengers Infinity War

-Guardians of the Galaxy 

All-Star Level

-Iron Man

-Thor Ragnorak 

-Marvel's The Avengers 

-Captain America Civil War

-Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2