DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2019 and Beyond

16 minutes ago, Casey said:

Per the Hollywood Reporter, Angelina Jolie is in talks to join the cast of The Eternals. Probably as Sersi, but I've seen some people speculate she might get cast as Thena.

Don't know much about either character since I've never read Eternals. Would Jolie make a good fit for either? Remind sme that I was really hoping Jolie would end up either Hela or Death if she joined the MCU.

I was kinda hoping that the Skrulls would've kept theme and remained Marvel heels.

I think Angelina Jolie would've been an amazing Queen Veranke or Empress R'Klll.

As for the Eternals, she'll probably play Sersi or Cybele.

Edited by J.T.

The Skrulls still can be heels. We know they were in a war with the Kree, and we know they were losing it badly, twenty five years ago. It's entirely possible they could have rebuilt their society in that time, we don't know their lifespan or reproduction cycle. They might breed like Krogans. Furthermore, we don't know how the war started. There's every chance that the Skrulls were a ruthlessly expansive people who launched an aggressive war of conquest against the Kree Empire without realising how deadly the Kree were.

13 minutes ago, AxB said:

The Skrulls still can be heels. 

Dudes are refugees in the MCU.  Baby face status for life.

Between Ronan, Korvath, and Yon-Rogg, the Kree are solidly in the interstellar heel pool for the MCU along with Sovereigns.

Edited by J.T.

17 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Dudes are refugees in the MCU.  Baby face status for life.

There's real life people in the world who arrived in England as child refugees, then left England as adults to join Isis.

• Like 1

Has anyone watched the 3D trailer? There's something interesting in the scene where Hawkeye is running away from a giant fireball or whatever. And not like we needed it, but it's proof that they do hide things in these trailers.

Spoiler

It's Outriders.

Skrulls were usually heels in the comics, but you did get the odd babyface Skrull as well. Even if that base alignment is flipped for the movies there is still the possibility of exceptions. Like how all Kree are heels except Mar-Vell. 

7 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I might be reading too much into this but didn't Maria Hill call Fury  "Nick"  .....  

I think a lot of people did. That really felt forced just for it to pay off. 

22 hours ago, AxB said:

There's real life people in the world who arrived in England as child refugees, then left England as adults to join Isis.

That's real life.  This is the movies.  More specifically, this is the movies where the movies are based on comic books.

At least six degrees of separation from reality.

The chances of Skrull villains are only as good as the desire and will to create one.  As of the end of Captain Marvel, the Skrulls are about as sympathetic of a group not named Mutants as you can get in the MCU.  Even the ""evil" mutants have righteous heel justifications.  Reboot Magneto ended up imprisoned after being caught while trying to PREVENT the Kennedy Assassination, for fuck's sake.

8bc.jpg

Obviously given Carol's treatment by the Skrulls during her capture, they are capable of being ruthless but war does that to everyone.

I'm not completely extolling the virtues of the Skrulls as a race, though.  Their ability to change shape clearly has affected their culture as they are pretty evasive when it comes to being truthful and their combat tactics rely heavily on deception and misdirection.

Not exactly honorable by most standards, but I am sure that Skrulls adhere to their own code and what Talos may have lacked in ethics, he made up for in compassion.  It spoke volumes when Talos gave his wife the nod to keep his daughter's eyes averted from the violence when the shit hit the fan.

Being a kid, she looked anyway.

Edited by J.T.

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I think a lot of people did. That really felt forced just for it to pay off. 

I hope you guys also ding every movie, video game, cartoon, and whatnot out there for the MOUNTAIN of times various characters refer to one another by their real names, which are allegedly secret identities that any passerby could have heard or overheard.  "Bruce!" "Clark!" "Barry!" "Peter!" Hey, stop saying that shit out loud, geniuses!

I think Maria Hill calling Fury "Nick" - which sounds like a Maria Hill thing to do, because she has no, and has never had any, fucks to give about what her boss wants her to call him - is the mote next to the plank.

(Besides, isn't that also part of the joke in the first place: that his insistence belies the fact that it quietly irritates him to be called anything but "Fury", and yet some people still do it anyway?  I can relate, given my last name is all of 4 letters and seems to be generally unpronounceable because people can't just ask me how to say it)

Edited by Contentious C

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

Diegetic ally, it’s also possible that he softened on that stance from the time of the CM movie to “the present.” 

"Diegetic Ally" sounds like the protagonist of a totally unreadable indie comic.

• Haha 1

So I'm bored and decided to look this up.

Tony calls him "Nick" in the "Sorry, Nick, what were you lying?" line when he reveals the Tesseract-based weaponry in The Avengers. Obviously for effect.

Steve consistently calls him Nick, but, hey, it's Captain America - are you going to correct Captain America on that?

Alexander Pierce also consistently calls him that throughout Winter Soldier.

Nat only says it when she thinks Fury is dying and she's trying to "resuscitate" him during same film.

And Tony says it again during Age of Ultron when he's relaying his vision of the Avengers lying dead in the future.

That's the list!  HT to Transcript Wiki.

Ugh.  Since the shapes your mouth makes are so different for each part of the name, they'd have to change that, too.  And of course that gave me a flashback to Henry Cavill's creepjob lips in Justice League.  And now you all have to be reminded of that.  Uggggh.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

The Incredible Hulk for me. Iron Man 2, Thor: The Dark World, Iron Man 3 and Avengers: Age of Ultron belong in that tier.

Might as well drag this here rather than leave it in the Star Wars thread.

The most fun myself and a lot of people get from the movies are the team-ups and interactions between major characters. Throwing a fun, (albeit busy and imperfect) installment like Age of Ultron into the trash pile is a take that's never made sense to me. I'd easily take it over bland intro installments like Thor 1 or Captain Marvel.

I'd go as far as to say AoU is solidly upper tier. Hulk vs Hulkbuster alone is worth the price of admission.

• Like 2